American Fugitive JAN STERLING HAGEN Arrested Outside US Embassy in Phnom Penh, Cambodia

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Re: American Fugitive JAN STERLING HAGEN Arrested Outside US Embassy in Phnom Penh, Cambodia

Post by Duncan »

AKL wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:35 am
Cam Nivag wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:57 am But you don't get to force yourself into someone's house just because you think you left something there.

Was he at least guilty of the habitual drunk driving or he was he the victim of overzealous law enforcement in those cases too?
He put his foot in the door to stop the door from shutting on him. He didn’t “force himself” into someone’s house. He never even entered the house. Let’s give him a couple years for that. And yes he is an absolute idiot for drinking and driving.

But now talking to people on here, makes me think he made a good choice of not going to trial to convince a jury that he’s innocent.
Make no difference ,,, The CEO Internet Jury will always find him guilty because they read the headlines. Giving him a second chance means they read the headlines twice.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Re: American Fugitive JAN STERLING HAGEN Arrested Outside US Embassy in Phnom Penh, Cambodia

Post by Barang chgout »

AKL wrote:
Cam Nivag wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:57 am But you don't get to force yourself into someone's house just because you think you left something there.

Was he at least guilty of the habitual drunk driving or he was he the victim of overzealous law enforcement in those cases too?
He put his foot in the door to stop the door from shutting on him. He didn’t “force himself” into someone’s house. He never even entered the house. Let’s give him a couple years for that. And yes he is an absolute idiot for drinking and driving.

But now talking to people on here, makes me think he made a good choice of not going to trial to convince a jury that he’s innocent.
Your wasting your time arguing with Cam. He's a lawyer and will baffle you with bullshit everytime.

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

I for one would say if you have your foot in someone's door, then you have already 'entered' their house. It actually reminds me of a time I had a rabid cop with his foot in my door...

Many, many years ago I had a big party at a big house me and a few of my buddies got. We were under 21 at the time, and got some older buddies to buy us a few kegs. I guess we were too loud and maybe some rowdy drunks were extra loud when they were coming and going, and eventually the police stopped by. I think it was their second visit when this shit happened...

Cops come to the front door, and I close it. Someone tells me that they have also come in to the back fenced-in area, so I run to the back of the house, and there is already a cop walking into the kitchen, so I tell him to 'get outta my house.' He backs up and I literally close the door in his face.

He puts his foot in the door and starts yelling, 'dont close the door on my foot!!"

We argue for a few seconds with me basically saying, 'well, get your foot out of my house.' He reluctantly removes it, I lock it and go to the front and talk to those cops. They say they know we are drinking underage and want to come inside. I drunkenly tell them I'd love to let them in but they would need a search warrant. I think at this stage we agree that the party is over, LoL.

We end up taking the tags off the keg and leaving them on the back porch, and the next day I get woken up by one of my housemates that the cops are back and this time it looks like they have FBI agents with them, lol...

Luckily it was just cops and they had brought an ATF (alcohol tobacco and firearms or something like that) agent with them to investigate. They tell me they can SEE a keg on our back porch and they want to come through the house to go get it, and I tell them they can't come through the house, and I don't give them permission to do anything. They are furious now. They say I'm being an asshole because I won't let them walk through our house to the back to get the keg, and I am adament that if they have the right to take the keg that doesn't automatically give them the right to enter my house to make their journey more comfortable, lol. We argue for several minutes about it, and they finally say, "well, we can see a bong through your window, so we don't even need a warrant!!' Haha, that did scare me a bit, but I just said it was my housemates and I think it was just a legally bought tobacco water pipe.

Luckily, I just stood my ground, and they eventually went around the back and got the keg. I don't know if taking the tags off really did us any good or not. I kinda feel they probably just realized that would be a harder case to pursue than they thought worth it, as I wasn't gonna incriminate myself and they really didn't have much to go on.

So, I digress. If you foot is in someone's door, I think you have already entered that home. Hell, I don't know that smashing him with a Mag Lite was overboard. Some States might have almost justified shooting him, lol.

And this is probably my favorite quote on this whole topic:

"He is actually a good person making small bad desicions with huge consequences."
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
AKL
Tourist
United States of America

Post by AKL »

General Mackevili wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:59 pm I for one would say if you have your foot in someone's door, then you have already 'entered' their house. It actually reminds me of a time I had a rabid cop with his foot in my door...

to pursue than they thought worth it, as I wasn't gonna incriminate myself and they really didn't have much to go on.
So, I digress. If you foot is in someone's door, I think you have already entered that home. Hell, I don't know that smashing him with a Mag Lite was overboard. Some States might have almost justified shooting him, lol.
Cool story, yep, exactly the same. So I take it he was charged with burglary and is doing hard time now? No? You split his head open for coming into your house? No? Weird. It’s almost like everything you said just proves my point... it also sounds like the guy actually forced his way INTO your home, more than just putting a foot in the door, even. I’ll stop right there.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

General Mackevili wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:59 pm I for one would say if you have your foot in someone's door, then you have already 'entered' their house. It actually reminds me of a time I had a rabid cop with his foot in my door...

Many, many years ago I had a big party at a big house me and a few of my buddies got. We were under 21 at the time, and got some older buddies to buy us a few kegs. I guess we were too loud and maybe some rowdy drunks were extra loud when they were coming and going, and eventually the police stopped by. I think it was their second visit when this shit happened...

Cops come to the front door, and I close it. Someone tells me that they have also come in to the back fenced-in area, so I run to the back of the house, and there is already a cop walking into the kitchen, so I tell him to 'get outta my house.' He backs up and I literally close the door in his face.

He puts his foot in the door and starts yelling, 'dont close the door on my foot!!"

We argue for a few seconds with me basically saying, 'well, get your foot out of my house.' He reluctantly removes it, I lock it and go to the front and talk to those cops. They say they know we are drinking underage and want to come inside. I drunkenly tell them I'd love to let them in but they would need a search warrant. I think at this stage we agree that the party is over, LoL.

We end up taking the tags off the keg and leaving them on the back porch, and the next day I get woken up by one of my housemates that the cops are back and this time it looks like they have FBI agents with them, lol...

Luckily it was just cops and they had brought an ATF (alcohol tobacco and firearms or something like that) agent with them to investigate. They tell me they can SEE a keg on our back porch and they want to come through the house to go get it, and I tell them they can't come through the house, and I don't give them permission to do anything. They are furious now. They say I'm being an asshole because I won't let them walk through our house to the back to get the keg, and I am adament that if they have the right to take the keg that doesn't automatically give them the right to enter my house to make their journey more comfortable, lol. We argue for several minutes about it, and they finally say, "well, we can see a bong through your window, so we don't even need a warrant!!' Haha, that did scare me a bit, but I just said it was my housemates and I think it was just a legally bought tobacco water pipe.

Luckily, I just stood my ground, and they eventually went around the back and got the keg. I don't know if taking the tags off really did us any good or not. I kinda feel they probably just realized that would be a harder case to pursue than they thought worth it, as I wasn't gonna incriminate myself and they really didn't have much to go on.

And this is probably my favorite quote on this whole topic:

"He is actually a good person making small bad desicions with huge consequences."
That's hilarious. I spent years squatting in London and helping to run warehouse parties etc so dealing with the police was something you'd do pretty often.
You just had to be civil with them most of the time, other times they were a bit gnarly. Standard beat Metropolitan Police never carried side-arms,
but they could easily call in Firearms Units that did, dog handlers, riot squad, helicopters etc. They are insanely efficient when they get going.
It was mostly just a battle of wits at those parties though and I don't remember the police ever shooting anyone.
I always thought it was hilarious when I'd be put on the door or sent out to talk to cops, but someone has to deal with these things.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

AKL wrote:
Cool story, yep, exactly the same. So I take it he was charged with burglary and is doing hard time now? No? You split his head open for coming into your house? No? Weird. It’s almost like everything you said just proves my point... it also sounds like the guy actually forced his way INTO your home, more than just putting a foot in the door, even. I’ll stop right there.
Haha, I hear you. The fact I didn't get charged for closing the door on his foot kinda shows I wasn't too far outta line. He's a cop. Even if justified, I would guess I'd had a hard time in court if I had "split his head open," as you put it.

So, that brings up another good question:

Did the guy get in trouble for smashing your friend's face? Seems that if, like you say, he didn't even "enter" the house, wouldn't he have easily been charged/convicted of attacking your friend?

I'm guessing no charges were filed, as most people would justify hitting someone who is in fact ENTERING your house against your will, like your friend was apparently doing.

And honestly, I would never use force against a cop in the US. I'd rather them violate my rights and I'll see them in court. I also wouldn't force my way into someone's home, even if I had left my hat in there or something. I also wouldn't resist arrest, even if I was certain the arrest was unlawful.

I don't know this Jan Sterling Hagen dude, but it seems like he's made a habit of life choices he likely now regrets, including fleeing to Cambodia as a fugitive of the law.

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

John Bingham wrote: I always thought it was hilarious when I'd be put on the door or sent out to talk to cops, but someone has to deal with these things.
Haha, that's the story of my life! There is a special way you have to deal with coppers.

I'm always annoyed that people think they HAVE TO make statements to police. I've no doubt tested my luck in my youth, but the main advice I give anyone is to keep silent.

Not really related, but I remember one time a cop (who had previously seen me run like a Kenyan sprinter from a party they busted up) pulled me over, and he was gunning for me. I had a very identifiable car at the time, and he pulled me over for something so minor it was clear from the get-go he was on a mission...

I was young, and he really wanted to search my car.

He started with, "Do you have any drugs in the car? (No.) Any weapons? (No.) Any alcohol? (No.) Then I guess you won't mind if I search your car?"

I refused, LoL. We argued for a while about why I wouldn't let him search my car if I had nothing to hide. :facepalm:

He was furious, but I stood my ground and he luckily let me go.

Talking to cops is equally an art and a skill.

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Post by Cam Nivag »

Here's the police report from Alaska. It describes a lot more than Hagen putting her in a bear hug.

It describes him grabbing her from behind while she was in her apartment, groping her, carrying her into the neighboring apartment (I think he lived next door or across the way) throwing her on a couch, carrying her to the bedroom, throwing her on the bed, ripping off her shirt and ripping off the buttons, grabbing her exposed breasts, throwing her on the bed again when she tried to escape, climbing on top of her, pinning her arms to the bed, putting her in fear of being raped, and refusing to let her go while she screamed and kicked.

Then her boyfriend entered the apartment and pulled Hagen off her and brought her back to her own apartment.

This is what the victim reported when she was interviewed at the children's advocacy center.

Police collected her ripped shirt with ripped off buttons and nurses took photos of her bruising.

Top bloke.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

That's one hell of a bear hug.

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

I once closed a door on a pig's foot, he spent months on crutches.

He then paid me substantial damages.

Long story.

Police get almost zero training on the law. FACT.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic