Best and worst airports in SE Asia

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Re: Best and worst airports in SE Asia

Post by rogerrabbit »

bolueeleh wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:04 pm
rogerrabbit wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:01 pm
phuketrichard wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:03 pm MHS- CM is a 30 minute flight
flights in Thailand can be very cheap
i can fly to CM direct from Phuket for under $50,( and lots of other places)...lots of airlines now to choose from, so competition keeps the prices low
One reason why Cambodia wont grow past a certain stage, is you can only fly to 3 places. Quality Tourist, ( not backpackers), dont want spend half a day, or more, on a bus
Cambodia is a small country. It doesn't really need more airports (Koh Kong will have one in future, probably Koh Rong at some point too). What is needed is better/faster train connections, roads and more international flight connections (for example BKK-SHK). When PP-SHK expressway is ready, you can do that journey under 3 hours. Train from PP to SHK in under 4-5 hours is not so far distance now either. And future there will be train connections to Battambang and SR. And when the road to Kampot/Kep is expanded and you can do that within 2-3 hours then flying wouldn't even make sense anymore with all the check ins as waiting times, and travels from/to airports will take same or even longer time. "Quality" tourists in Europe and China often prefers trains over planes.

But roads, rails and flights connections are getting better all the time so they are on right path imo.
need a good direct road from SR to SHV, will cut down lots of travelling time between these 2 cities
True, that is really needed. Luckily flight connection between SR-SHV is fairly good already and getting better all the time (more flights and price have dropped significantly already).
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

The airport at Koh Kong was operational up until about 1999/2000.
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

Username Taken wrote:The airport at Koh Kong was operational up until about 1999/2000.
World wildlife fly their chopper out of there and our Sino mates are building that new airport at their golf course which is KK albeit 150km from town.

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

thePeck
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by thePeck »

Borum-Ex frm TOForum wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:48 am Dhaka hands down, if it’s still as shitty as a Brussels underground station these days, haven’t got the luck to be there for at least 10+ years, so it might have changed a bit since then... if you like psychedelic then google Biman Banglsdesh airlines interior! :thumb:
I had to fly into Dhaka several times about 4 years back. It hasn't changed a bit. Perhaps the only thing that would have is the road outside leading up to the airport.

Just older and more decrepit than you remember.

While Dhaka being high up on my list. As far as delays I'd say Copenhagen airport. Getting to international took 4 hours. The passport control line was horrendous. My flight was delayed because no one was getting through immigration fast. And then lines at security before. Just a horrible design and slow. I'll never fly through there again, unless they drag me kicking and screaming!

A runner up would be SAW in Turkey. My company decided to book me on the cheap shit Turkish airline Pegasus Air. I never knew Istanbul had two airports until I rode this shit carrier to this shit airport. And it has at the start of the Haj so they place was full of shanty town style showers and I'm shoulder to shoulder with sweaty Muslim men in white linen. If I see Pegasus or SAW on my itinerary again I'll flat out tell them I'm not going and they have to change it.
jmagic
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by jmagic »

Ah, so "there is something wrong with you" if you care about comfort and beauty? Your life must suck.
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Post by bolueeleh »

thePeck wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:52 pm
Borum-Ex frm TOForum wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:48 am Dhaka hands down, if it’s still as shitty as a Brussels underground station these days, haven’t got the luck to be there for at least 10+ years, so it might have changed a bit since then... if you like psychedelic then google Biman Banglsdesh airlines interior! :thumb:
I had to fly into Dhaka several times about 4 years back. It hasn't changed a bit. Perhaps the only thing that would have is the road outside leading up to the airport.

Just older and more decrepit than you remember.

While Dhaka being high up on my list. As far as delays I'd say Copenhagen airport. Getting to international took 4 hours. The passport control line was horrendous. My flight was delayed because no one was getting through immigration fast. And then lines at security before. Just a horrible design and slow. I'll never fly through there again, unless they drag me kicking and screaming!

A runner up would be SAW in Turkey. My company decided to book me on the cheap shit Turkish airline Pegasus Air. I never knew Istanbul had two airports until I rode this shit carrier to this shit airport. And it has at the start of the Haj so they place was full of shanty town style showers and I'm shoulder to shoulder with sweaty Muslim men in white linen. If I see Pegasus or SAW on my itinerary again I'll flat out tell them I'm not going and they have to change it.
turkish airline was the best airline 15 years ago, was enroute to europe when i went to the galley to ask for a coke, saw few flight attendants smoking and playing cards with some of the passengers, told me to "help myself", which i did :ROFL:

oh wait it was in the early nineties so its more than 20 years ago, dang im old
Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

rogerrabbit wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:08 pm
bolueeleh wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:04 pm
i can fly to CM direct from Phuket for under $50,( and lots of other places)...lots of airlines now to choose from, so competition keeps the prices low
One reason why Cambodia wont grow past a certain stage, is you can only fly to 3 places. Quality Tourist, ( not backpackers), dont want spend half a day, or more, on a bus
Cambodia is a small country. It doesn't really need more airports (Koh Kong will have one in future, probably Koh Rong at some point too). What is needed is better/faster train connections, roads and more international flight connections (for example BKK-SHK). When PP-SHK expressway is ready, you can do that journey under 3 hours. Train from PP to SHK in under 4-5 hours is not so far distance now either. And future there will be train connections to Battambang and SR. And when the road to Kampot/Kep is expanded and you can do that within 2-3 hours then flying wouldn't even make sense anymore with all the check ins as waiting times, and travels from/to airports will take same or even longer time. "Quality" tourists in Europe and China often prefers trains over planes.

But roads, rails and flights connections are getting better all the time so they are on right path imo.
need a good direct road from SR to SHV, will cut down lots of travelling time between these 2 cities
True, that is really needed. Luckily flight connection between SR-SHV is fairly good already and getting better all the time (more flights and price have dropped significantly already).
SR to PP is already an easy run, they sorted out route 6 two years ago. Dual carriageway most of it, rest bypasses all the small towns. Took 6 1/2 hours Shv to SR last time I went, down from about 12 three years ago. They really need to sort out that shitty bit of route 5 and fucking resurface route 55. Then it'd be about 5-ish.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

you did SHV- SR in 6 1/2 hours?? MY god, on what?? a 1200 Ducatti Monster :beer1:
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Cambodia is a small country. It doesn't really need more airports (Koh Kong will have one in future, probably Koh Rong at some point too). What is needed is better/faster train connections, roads and more international flight connections (for example BKK-SHK). When PP-SHK expressway is ready, you can do that journey under 3 hours. Train from PP to SHK in under 4-5 hours is not so far distance now either. And future there will be train connections to Battambang and SR. And when the road to Kampot/Kep is expanded and you can do that within 2/3 hours then flying wouldn't even make sense anymore with all the check ins as waiting times, and travels from/to airports will take same or even longer time. "Quality" tourists in Europe and China often prefers trains over planes.

There were airports in all the provinces not so long back, but flights were expensive. When the roads were improved there wasn't much need for them any more.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

John Bingham wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:19 pm
jmagic wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:13 pm Trat Airport - Best airport in the world
Never knew there was a serviceable one there. I was in Mae Hon Song in the late 90s, wandered into the airport, bought a ticket and got flown to Chiang Mai. It took less than an hour from entering one airport and exiting the other. I thought it was awesome because it saved me a 10 hour bus trip and cost around $10. What are prices for domestic flights like in Thailand nowadays?
The memories, I did that same flight on my first trip to Thailand in the 90's, I still can't believe I took an overnight bus from Chiang Mai to Mae Hon Song all I could think of during the journey was I was going to feature in a 4 line report on the international news page of the Telegraph " Briton among the dead as bus plunges down ravine " :D Lovely flight back. I'd quite like to go back there and climb up to that temple overlooking the town again, very nice place.

Did Swampy to Chiang Rai with Thai Smile last year for the football and that's a nice regional airport with the stadium just across the road from the terminal, it was only 60 quid return which I think is still great value for the distance involved.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic