Land of Smiles

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
yong
Expatriate
Thailand

Re: Land of Smiles

Post by yong »

There is one memorable visit to a factory I had last week. They had told me to have dinner together which I agreed. Now this is a super big factory, super as in super-duper super factory. When meeting was over they drove me to a building in the center of the factory area this building looks luxurious even from the outside resembling a very big villa.

This is how it look upon entering

Inside are dining rooms, at at the back a very nice Chinese garden and places for drinking tea, water features, large luxurious meeting rooms etc. Basically its like a club or recreational building for the factory.

Before dinner was served we first had this Chinese wine

Was first served in your personal jar

The you pour it into your own glass

Finally dinner was served

Egg fried with some sort of tea leaves really exquisite

Braised pork

Prawn and celery

This is a delicacy found in this province only known as knife fish a rare and expensive fish one fish per person.

Pigeon

Stir fry vegetables with garlic

The spread

Then come the river puffer fish, like its Japanese cousin has to be prepared by professionals as a part of the body has poison.

The skin of the puffer fish is rough like sand paper so you have to position the skin such that the smoother inside is facing out while the rough side is inside so it will not rub against inside of mouth

This comes in a pair looks like tofu is actually found only in the male puffer fish containing the sperm of puffer fish basically its like the testicles of a mammal aiso known as milt. This is also seasonal extra big like this during mating season. Supposed to be very expensive and rare.

Abalone with broccoli

I asked why you have a "restaurant" in your factory with professional chefs that answer was sometime its not convenient for "some customer" to be seen dining outside restaurants. I assume he meant officials.

It was a great meal I must say
yong
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by yong »

The next day still in Danyang, after my second meeting we went out for dinner at a local hotel

There were already 8 dishes on the table when we arrived

Was told these were starters OMG

Dinner starts with braised chicken

Chili prawns

Soup with tofu

Braised fish head

Mushrooms

Frogs

Chinese ham

Pork loin

Fish

Pork bao

Deep fried sweet yam balls

This is really too much for only 4 people
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

When I lived on Hangzhou and went out for dinners with chinese partners there usually was a lot of food left at the end that we could impossibly eat. Delicious but much toooo much. EVERY time.
work is for people who cant find truffles
yong
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by yong »

truffledog wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:06 pm When I lived on Hangzhou and went out for dinners with chinese partners there usually was a lot of food left at the end that we could impossibly eat. Delicious but much toooo much. EVERY time.
China chinese are known to waste lots of food. Order lots because of face. Sad. As a Chinese myself from Singapore I couldn’t agree with such wastes.
Grand Barong
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Grand Barong »

What type of work do you do? You travel constantly. :hattip:
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

yong wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 8:48 pm

The skin of the puffer fish is rough like sand paper so you have to position the skin such that the smoother inside is facing out while the rough side is inside so it will not rub against inside of mouth

This comes in a pair looks like tofu is actually found only in the male puffer fish containing the sperm of puffer fish basically its like the testicles of a mammal aiso known as milt. This is also seasonal extra big like this during mating season. Supposed to be very expensive and rare.

The skin looks like penis to me..................... :hattip:
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

Arget wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:25 pm The skin looks like penis to me..................... :hattip:
If your penis looks like this I suggest you have it checked by a competent doc. :beer3:
work is for people who cant find truffles
Bongmab69
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by Bongmab69 »

best place to check is on 130 or 136 i woudl say !!
wouldnt go to wat phnom by night for it !!
yong
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by yong »

Grand Barong wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:34 pm What type of work do you do? You travel constantly. :hattip:
Oh I am a screw salesman in Thailand. I travel because my Thai boss assigned me to travel to help him, sometimes look for material, sometimes look for customers, sometimes look for business opportunities. But generally I stay in Thailand to help my Thai boss sell screws.

This type

Last edited by yong on Thu Mar 23, 2023 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grand Barong
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Grand Barong »

yong wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:52 pm
Grand Barong wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:34 pm What type of work do you do? You travel constantly. :hattip:
Oh I am a screw salesman in Thailand. I travel because my Thai boss assigned me to travel to help him, sometimes look for material, sometimes look for customers, sometimes look for business opportunities. But generally I stay in Thailand to help my Thai boss sell screws.
You are living the dream Yong, Lots of travel, sights and great food pics , I'm envious! :bow: :thumb:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic