Land of Smiles

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
yong
Expatriate
Thailand

Re: Land of Smiles

Post by yong »

Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 2:59 pm You're surely the envy of every screw salesman in the world, Yong.
Thank you, I take that as a compliment. 🙏
yong
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by yong »

Went to a big Thai pub/restaurant for the first time - Sab Indy is the name

The front

Inside

The drink

Salad

Steamed egg

Fried pork

Deep fried fish

Sour pork

Octopus

Dinner

location - https://goo.gl/maps/869ZApDWQPts2mzB9
yong
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by yong »

I received a traditional Thai gift from a Thai friend, Luk-Chup, a Thai dessert or you can also call it sweets or snacks. Its so beautiful that I don't feel like eating them.

yong
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by yong »

I cooked crispy noodle last night for dinner

yong
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by yong »

Suvarnabhumi Airport this morning about 8am

yong
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by yong »

My breakfast at the airport - chicken porridge and egg

Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

yong wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 12:36 pm Went to hospital for a check up this morning. After drawing blood and before the doctor's appointment went to McDonald's for breakfast

Macdonald’s in Thailand had required customers to order from machine these days

I noticed these machines in a Burger King in a shopping mall in London. I thought it made the company look like a bunch of money grabbing anti social bastards.

You still have to queue up and that will be behind people who might know how to use the thing. If not expect delays while they figure it out. If you require information about their products or deals, tough luck, the machine won't help. There is no benefit to the consumer although I'm sure they will have a marketing spiel to the contrary.

Offering low end jobs to youths are one of the very few redeeming features of these junk food corporations, with the payroll taxes generated going to the government (to offset the pent up health care costs) and the net salary being spent into the local community.

These multi national corporations can now divert all these salary savings back to their offshore banking centres under the guise of branding and franchise fees and avoid local taxes.

I wonder how much they cost to install and the repayment timeline. Governments should charge them $20,000 a year for every one of these machines installed.
yong
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by yong »

Doc67 wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 9:28 am
yong wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 12:36 pm Went to hospital for a check up this morning. After drawing blood and before the doctor's appointment went to McDonald's for breakfast

I noticed these machines in a Burger King in a shopping mall in London. I thought it made the company look like a bunch of money grabbing anti social bastards.

You still have to queue up and that will be behind people who might know how to use the thing. If not expect delays while they figure it out. If you require information about their products or deals, tough luck, the machine won't help. There is no benefit to the consumer although I'm sure they will have a marketing spiel to the contrary.

Offering low end jobs to youths are one of the very few redeeming features of these junk food corporations, with the payroll taxes generated going to the government (to offset the pent up health care costs) and the net salary being spent into the local community.

These multi national corporations can now divert all these salary savings back to their offshore banking centres under the guise of branding and franchise fees and avoid local taxes.

I wonder how much they cost to install and the repayment timeline. Governments should charge them $20,000 a year for every one of these machines installed.
You are absolutely correct it’s troublesome and not everyone is comfortable with a machine like this. It’s difficult to navigate and look for something you want. For example if you wanna order Big Breakfast you cannot find it outright admits hidden under McMuffin, dafug!
yong
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by yong »

Arrived

Bongmab69
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by Bongmab69 »

yong wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 9:33 am
Doc67 wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 9:28 am

You are absolutely correct it’s troublesome and not everyone is comfortable with a machine like this. It’s difficult to navigate and look for something you want. For example if you wanna order Big Breakfast you cannot find it outright admits hidden under McMuffin, dafug!
I am exactly the opposite: i love the system. If you dont know exactly what you want, you can navigate in the menu as long as you want before ordering, and if you do that in front of one of the girls behind the bar and there are 5 guys behind you it feels enoying because everybody is waiting, because of you. Nobody will complain if you take your time on the machine. And dont forget the language barrier, i sometimes go in france to mc donalds, and most turists dont speak fluent french, and ofcourse the staff in mac donalds france not at all known to speak some second language. The machine does it all, knever looked for it (because i do speak french) but i think its at least in 5 languages !!! The world isnt made for only english-spoken-customers !!!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic