Land of Smiles

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
yong
Expatriate
Thailand

Re: Land of Smiles

Post by yong »

Back to Bangkok and back to office. Having my favourite Khanom-Jeen breakfast near office now.

Khanom-Jeen is the white soft rice noodle in Thailand made from fermented rice so it has to be eaten fresh after its made if not will turn sour quickly and spoil. Khanom-Jeen is usually taken with Thai curry and most commonly with Thai green curry known as gaeng-keow-wan literally translated word by word curry-green-sweet or for our easy understanding sweet green curry, and in this case for chicken green curry we call it gaeng-keow-wan-gai, gai as for chicken.

This is a rural area so the simple and rural setup.

Besides making this khanom-jeen-gaeng-keow-wan in very traditional taste the seller is also very sweet and cute. 2 reasons why this is my favourite

I can down 2 of her khanom-jeen anytime

Only 40 baht
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Post by bolueeleh »

second generation seller?
Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
yong
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by yong »

bolueeleh wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:55 am second generation seller?
Naaaa she probably learned from her mom
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Have the same in Cambodge. Goes by the name of Nom Pajok (or similar). It also comes in a couple of different flavours.

Very tasty. :thumb:
yong
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by yong »

Username Taken wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:40 pm Have the same in Cambodge. Goes by the name of Nom Pajok (or similar). It also comes in a couple of different flavours.

OMG it looks great and the rice noodle is exactly the same as the Thai version. I must try this in my next trip.

Thank you for sharing
yong
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by yong »

The Italian restaurant in Bangkok that I frequent had recently been #1 Italian restaurant in Bangkok in the TripAdvisor site.\

and ranked #32 among 10,936 restaurants in Bangkok, kudos to the owner Peppe

So just back after a long trip I found my way to the restaurant again last night

Parma

Portobello

Saute prawns, mushrooms, squid

Salad with secret sauce, simple and refreshing

Angle hair with Italian sausage

Really like Peppe's penna-cotta cos its just a little sweet

Ended with some very good Guatamalan rum from Peppe

We had a rib eye too but forgot the photo. Once again a great dinner by Peppe.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

Username Taken wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:40 pm Have the same in Cambodge. Goes by the name of Nom Pajok (or similar). It also comes in a couple of different flavours.

Hey UT, I never saw any dish like that in our local village eateries. In fact I could use some info and tips. First tips: Is there any order in which the various sides should be mixed with the rice?

Tips: Did you buy it in PP and if yes what is the place called(location too) and the price. Many thanks and no I'm not drunk, just hungry.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

yong wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:02 pm Really like Peppe's penna-cotta cos its just a little sweet
Dude, that is VERY sweet!

Oh, wait, you meant the food... :D
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Post by bolueeleh »

yong wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:02 pm

Really like Peppe's penna-cotta cos its just a little sweet
Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

taabarang wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:19 pm

Hey UT, I never saw any dish like that in our local village eateries. In fact I could use some info and tips. First tips: Is there any order in which the various sides should be mixed with the rice?

Tips: Did you buy it in PP and if yes what is the place called(location too) and the price. Many thanks and no I'm not drunk, just hungry.
I don't think it is served in restaurants. Usually sold door to door by little old grandma ladies with a bamboo slung over their shoulder.
She'll check whether you want this or that ingredient, then pour the sauce over it in the bowl.

Not this pic or person or food, but just an example of the type of seller.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic