Permanent working permit vs. temporary working permit

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
kocdim
Expatriate
Fiji

Permanent working permit vs. temporary working permit

Post by kocdim »

Whats the difference between the Permanent working permit vs. temporary working permit?? Whats the consequences If the work permit application was submitted but not processed yet?? If you show documents for submitted application is that valid?? Whats the processing time for work permit? I know that there has been 100s of topics for work permit. But I can not find this answers. Also the medical checkup: Has to be done in Labor Department or any Medical Clinic?
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Permanent working permit vs. temporary working permit

Post by John Bingham »

I can't answer all that but I would like to think that one would be given some leeway while things are being processed. I believe that those targeted mostly are people who have not got valid visas or work permits and have no intention of getting any, they think they'll just remain under the radar and continue working here. I'm not even talking about whitey, the vast majority of people caught and deported for these infringements are Chinese or Vietnamese.
Also the medical checkup: Has to be done in Labor Department or any Medical Clinic?
It has to be done in that giant "clinic" behind the Labor Dept. It's very easy to get through, they put you on a fast track if you're a foreigner. The first time I went the doctor stabbed me with a lancet and I screeched, it hurt like fuck. The next time they didn't, but I was there about a month or so back and they've gone back to their blood-stabbing ways. It's 100,000 Riel for foreigners - 10,000 for locals. Not many foreigners realize this, but Cambodians also need work permits.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
lostjeremy
Expatriate

Post by lostjeremy »

The medical checkup is easy, see post above mine.
Processing times... I went without a WP for a few years but got my first one in 2015 and it took 6 months. 2016 and 2017 both took 3 months each. My 2018 just did the medical 2 weeks ago so we'll see if times have improved soon.

Sent from my CPH1605 using Tapatalk

PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Permanent WP & Temporary WP? This is news to me. I wonder if permanent is for citizens, temporary for non-citizens?

Medical check up does not need to be conducted at the MoLVT, any clinic can do it as long as they know the requirements for the WP medical.

Haha, yep, all Cambodians who work are supposed to have a WP, would be interesting to know how many actually do though.
kocdim
Expatriate
Fiji

Post by kocdim »

lostjeremy wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:41 pm The medical checkup is easy, see post above mine.
Processing times... I went without a WP for a few years but got my first one in 2015 and it took 6 months. 2016 and 2017 both took 3 months each. My 2018 just did the medical 2 weeks ago so we'll see if times have improved soon.

Sent from my CPH1605 using Tapatalk
Ok except medical checkup what other documents I need????:
1) Medical Checkup
2) Resident letter???
3) Police clearance??
If I miss some document will they contact me to submit additional documents???
Thanks I'm new in Cambodia and new in this paper work. If there is tread there it would be great to link it. I try to find it but nothing comes out.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic