Sihanoukville casino workers from Lion Casino protest over unpaid wages

Breaking news from Cambodia can be found here. CEO often finds Khmer news and translates it into English for our readers if it is interesting to expats, locals, Cambodians living abroad and anyone who wants to stay informed of the latest local and international news stories about Cambodia and our neighbors in South East Asia. There are many sources for Khmer news articles and they can all be found here in one place. Most of the media comes out of Phnom Penh, Siem Reap or Sihanoukville, but we cover national Cambodian news from all provinces.
User avatar
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Posts: 32032
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:13 am
Reputation: 1636
Location: CEO Newsroom in Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Contact:
Cambodia

Sihanoukville casino workers from Lion Casino protest over unpaid wages

Post by CEOCambodiaNews » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:13 pm

Image
Sihanoukville: On March 06 at 7 pm, 73 casino workers protested in front of Lion City Hotel and Casino, on street 500, Ocheuteal Beach, Sangkat 4, Sihanoukville. The Director of Lion City Hotel and Casion, KIM HAYANGLAE, has not paid the staff their wages for the month of February, and it is reported that he has run away. The police were called to the scene to keep order and prevent violence.

Mr. Yov Kemara, the Director of Vocational Training department came to help to find the solutions for all workers after receiving the compliant from the victims, but there is no result as yet.
According to Article 117, the Law on the Payment wage to Employees, the employer is obliged to pay the employer the wage to workers at a regular agreed date. If the wage is not paid on time, the Labor of Inspector must record and file the case submit to court. The property could be liable for the workers' pay, and then the Labor Inspector can sue the employer for all obligations for employees.
Image
Image
Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
User avatar
bolueeleh
Expatriate
Posts: 4440
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:39 am
Reputation: 813
Location: anywhere with cheap bonks

Re: Sihanoukville casino workers from Lion Casino protest over unpaid wages

Post by bolueeleh » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:50 pm

1 down, 49 more to go
Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
User avatar
Duncan
Sir Duncan
Posts: 7445
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:22 pm
Reputation: 1931
Location: Wonder Why Central

Re: Sihanoukville casino workers from Lion Casino protest over unpaid wages

Post by Duncan » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:57 am

It's good to know that there are rules and regulations in place for when things like this happen...




Like do all these 73 Chinese workers [ presumably Chinese ] have work permits to start with.?
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
one_dolla
Expatriate
Posts: 259
Joined: Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:31 am
Reputation: 48

Re: Sihanoukville casino workers from Lion Casino protest over unpaid wages

Post by one_dolla » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:56 am

loads of Khmer workers come in and out of that place I pass it regularly
User avatar
paparazzi
Expatriate
Posts: 392
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:08 am
Reputation: 177
New Zealand

Re: Sihanoukville casino workers from Lion Casino protest over unpaid wages

Post by paparazzi » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:23 am

Went inside twice. Very few customers. Not sure they had much online gambling if any.

Its online gambling that is producing a profit for the Sihanoukville casinos so not surprising to see this casino in trouble.

If you go down the road at the back of Jin Bei Casino around 9.30am its astounding to see the number of Chinese online gambling workers changing shift. All in their 20's and dressed in white shirts. Take over half the road at a shift change as they walk to and from their rooms. Then there is about 5 plus vans pull up with more workers.
Must be some serious money being made.
one_dolla
Expatriate
Posts: 259
Joined: Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:31 am
Reputation: 48

Re: Sihanoukville casino workers from Lion Casino protest over unpaid wages

Post by one_dolla » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:41 am

paparazzi wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:23 am


Must be some serious money being made.
or lost
User avatar
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Posts: 2964
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:49 am
Reputation: 518
Location: Sihanoukville
Korea North

Re: Sihanoukville casino workers from Lion Casino protest over unpaid wages

Post by cptrelentless » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:11 pm

paparazzi wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:23 am
Went inside twice. Very few customers. Not sure they had much online gambling if any.
Lion City did look fairly crappy and poorly attended. I've eaten a few times in the now ex Italian across the road from it. Never saw much going on.
User avatar
frank lee bent
Expatriate
Posts: 11330
Joined: Sat May 17, 2014 4:10 am
Reputation: 2083
United States of America

Re: Sihanoukville casino workers from Lion Casino protest over unpaid wages

Post by frank lee bent » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:14 pm

If you go down the road at the back of Jin Bei Casino around 9.30am its astounding to see the number of Chinese online gambling workers changing shift. All in their 20's and dressed in white shirts. Take over half the road at a shift change as they walk to and from their rooms. Then there is about 5 plus vans pull up with more workers.
Must be some serious money being made.
milions of dollars could flow through these venues each month

i believe some of the bar lessors on the hill have done a midnight flit.
could this be russian mafia boom reprised?

has the china edict on foreign capital outflows of august 17 finally started to bite?
have they run out of off the plan sucker buyers?
User avatar
Kentish Man
Tourist
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:09 pm
Reputation: 4
Location: Sihanoukville
Great Britain

Re: Sihanoukville casino workers from Lion Casino protest over unpaid wages

Post by Kentish Man » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:58 pm

frank lee bent wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:14 pm
If you go down the road at the back of Jin Bei Casino around 9.30am its astounding to see the number of Chinese online gambling workers changing shift. All in their 20's and dressed in white shirts. Take over half the road at a shift change as they walk to and from their rooms. Then there is about 5 plus vans pull up with more workers.
Must be some serious money being made.
milions of dollars could flow through these venues each month

i believe some of the bar lessors on the hill have done a midnight flit.
could this be russian mafia boom reprised?

has the china edict on foreign capital outflows of august 17 finally started to bite?
have they run out of off the plan sucker buyers?

Very confusing situation in Sihanoukville, especially on Victory Hill.

1. The Small Market on Victory Hill has closed and is being knocked down or converted. Apparently, the land/building has been leased to the Chinese for $12,000 p.c.m!
2. Rumor has it several of the Chinese-owned bars on Victory Hill have not paid their rent or their water and electric bills.

I hope the China edict on foreign capital outflows of August 2017 start to bite soon but have not seen any evidence of it yet.
The Chinese have taken over most of Victory Hill
offroadscholar
Expatriate
Posts: 279
Joined: Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:55 pm
Reputation: 73
Australia

Re: Sihanoukville casino workers from Lion Casino protest over unpaid wages

Post by offroadscholar » Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:37 pm

Kentish Man wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:58 pm
frank lee bent wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:14 pm
If you go down the road at the back of Jin Bei Casino around 9.30am its astounding to see the number of Chinese online gambling workers changing shift. All in their 20's and dressed in white shirts. Take over half the road at a shift change as they walk to and from their rooms. Then there is about 5 plus vans pull up with more workers.
Must be some serious money being made.
milions of dollars could flow through these venues each month

i believe some of the bar lessors on the hill have done a midnight flit.
could this be russian mafia boom reprised?

has the china edict on foreign capital outflows of august 17 finally started to bite?
have they run out of off the plan sucker buyers?

Very confusing situation in Sihanoukville, especially on Victory Hill.

1. The Small Market on Victory Hill has closed and is being knocked down or converted. Apparently, the land/building has been leased to the Chinese for $12,000 p.c.m!
2. Rumor has it several of the Chinese-owned bars on Victory Hill have not paid their rent or their water and electric bills.

I hope the China edict on foreign capital outflows of August 2017 start to bite soon but have not seen any evidence of it yet.
The Chinese have taken over most of Victory Hill
Not making money is in the DNA of V-hill, at least for foreigners.
Wet season will sort a few more out I suspect.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post