Electric Service Line - 350 meters to house

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Old8404
Expatriate
United States of America

Electric Service Line - 350 meters to house

Post by Old8404 »

I have to run an electric cable 350 meters from road to my province house yet to be constructed.

Any electricians in the audience?

will gauge/size 2X6 300/500 volt (local version of exterior grade romex) carry the load for a small house (3 bedroom and wood shop)?

any comments much appreciated. Cannot find a supplier or contractor that will give me an informed opinion - no matter which gauge I ask about... "no problem".
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Re: Electric Service Line - 350 meters to house

Post by Duncan »

Make sure you concrete it underground cause if you dont , at night time they will cut it up and flog it off.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Old8404
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Old8404 »

Could be a shocking theft...
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

Please, we have an ample supply of revolting pun posters already, it's a vicious cycle which has transformed the forum.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

As far has I know you buy and supply your own cable. The electric company connect it and charge the connection fee.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

AndyKK wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:29 pm As far has I know you buy and supply your own cable. The electric company connect it and charge the connection fee.
In PP you supply your own only to avoid being charged double the cost by the EDC installer.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Post by bolueeleh »

add up all the amperes that u think u might use at one shot, then u will know what is the max cable load size u will need
Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Old8404 wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:40 pm I have to run an electric cable 350 meters from road to my province house yet to be constructed.

Any electricians in the audience?

will gauge/size 2X6 300/500 volt (local version of exterior grade romex) carry the load for a small house (3 bedroom and wood shop)?

any comments much appreciated. Cannot find a supplier or contractor that will give me an informed opinion - no matter which gauge I ask about... "no problem".
First, decide the kind of connection you want on the road. You will be charged by the amount of power (Ampere) the switch they will install can handle. After you've decided that, look for a cable.
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

Am going through much the same thing now. Asked a friend who has years of experience as a mines sparky and lives here for advice. He said a plan showing distances, maximum required draw (watts), any outbuildings or considerations for future development; were critical. If you don't start out big enough, you'll cost yourself money at the meter and end up with a supply at 220v.....
I suggest talking to an electrician.

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

welly wanger
Tourist
Palestine

Post by welly wanger »

Im a UK sparky and 6mm wont cut it over that distance due to volts drop. You will get power there but once you switch on the aircon etc, then you will run in to problems. It fine for locals who run a light and tv. Theres many online calculation to use. I've just looked for you and comes at 70mm per two core over that distance with copper cable. With 5% volts drop with a 40 amp supply at your house. Also think about UV rating/protection if its gonna be out in the sun for many years. This is to UK regs so maybe a bit over the top. Maybe try solar?
I was asked to sort out the fuck up of the don bosco trained dogs danglies electrician who operates in snooky, who pulled in a 16mm over the same distance of you and was getting 170ish volts fluctuating. Their choice was either 70mm two core or 35 mm four core 3 phase to allow 40 amp supply.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic