Naked tourists: Why are they taking off their clothes ?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Naked tourists: Why are they taking off their clothes ?

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

How to explain the new trend of taking your clothes off in inappropriate tourist sites and posting the photos on social media ?

Explainer: the rise of naked tourism
May 29, 2017 1.55pm AEST
Some travellers may forget that where they travel is not their home, and that cultural sensitivities may differ greatly.
Freya Higgins-Desbiolles
In my American youth, there was a rude phrase describing kids acting up: “showing your butt”. It seems some tourists are now taking this literally.

Recently, tourists have been stripping down and photographing themselves at the world’s iconic locations to the bewilderment of some and the disgust of others. Social media is abuzz as tourists get snaps of their uncovered backsides at national parks, on top of mountains, and at World Heritage sites.

The desire to reveal one’s naked glory is not a new thing, as streakers at sporting events and the devotees of nude beaches and nudist camps demonstrate. But this trend of “naked tourism” reveals something more than just bare bottoms – and it may call for some active interventions.

In the selfie era, attention-seeking and shock value are clear individual motivations. But perhaps there is more to it.

Social media is certainly encouraging the practice. A good example of this is the Naked At Monuments Facebook page, which describes its purpose as “we get naked around the world”. There is also the My Naked Trip blog. Together, these indicate naked tourism may be an emerging trend rather than an oddity.
https://theconversation.com/explainer-t ... rism-76933

A man blogs his "naked trip" with photos:
http://www.mynakedtrip.com/index.php

The two Adams sisters from the US were deported from Cambodia for taking their pants down at Angkor Wat in 2015.

A number of tourists have recently been intercepted by Cambodian police for allegedly taking "sexy photos" in the grounds of the Angkor Wat complex. post228948.html?hilit=sexy%20photos#p228948
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Fourkinnel
Expatriate
Tonga

Re: Naked tourists: Why are they taking off their clothes ?

Post by Fourkinnel »

It's terrible, doing that in Angkor. The authorities ought to go round all the temples and find the frescoes and sculpture on the walls and paint evening gowns on them to cover up the embarrassment that must have been bothering generations of people over the years. :facepalm:
Seriously though, you have to learn respect, doing this in religious or consecrated area is a no no!
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Post by bolueeleh »

deserved to be flocked in IMO, no respect at all for others
Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Fourkinnel wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:52 am It's terrible, doing that in Angkor. The authorities ought to go round all the temples and find the frescoes and sculpture on the walls and paint evening gowns on them to cover up the embarrassment that must have been bothering generations of people over the years. :facepalm:
Sure, and because there are paintings of naked cherubs etc in Christian churches we should all go to visit them naked.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Fourkinnel
Expatriate
Tonga

Post by Fourkinnel »

John Bingham wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:01 pm
Fourkinnel wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:52 am It's terrible, doing that in Angkor. The authorities ought to go round all the temples and find the frescoes and sculpture on the walls and paint evening gowns on them to cover up the embarrassment that must have been bothering generations of people over the years. :facepalm:
Sure, and because there are paintings of naked cherubs etc in Christian churches we should all go to visit them naked.
I'm going to put that question to my local Catholic priest! I guess they may allow some, not all.
Borum-Ex frm TOForum
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Borum-Ex frm TOForum »

i never go naked, i know well enough what's in my pants in order to not show it #iDriveAsmallMotorbike
I actually don't give a flying fuck, furthermore nice to meet you all here! :thumb:
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

bolueeleh wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:01 pm deserved to be flocked in IMO, no respect at all for others
If they have no respect for others, why put them in a flock?
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

You'd have to be nuts to strip off at Loch Ness. Even after a lot of whiskey %) There is no warm season in Scotland.
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

Fourkinnel wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:33 pmI'm going to put that question to my local Catholic priest! I guess they may allow some, not all.
Just don't keep his answer 'a little secret between the two of you'.
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Post by bolueeleh »

taabarang wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:02 pm
bolueeleh wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:01 pm deserved to be flocked in IMO, no respect at all for others
If they have no respect for others, why put them in a flock?
:D :D :D flogged
Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic