Which lawyer you recommend for land registration on a khmer wife name?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Re: Which lawyer you recommend for land registration on a khmer wife name?

Post by bolueeleh »

bangkokhooker wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:20 pm Doesn’t the sangkat chief dude need to be present even for soft title?
Also, isn’t there another type of title, before soft like from the before the 90s?
yes there is, this title is before soft title, it only signed by village leader
Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
kocdim
Expatriate
Fiji

Post by kocdim »

Heng Heng Heng wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:55 am
kocdim wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:22 pm
Heng Heng Heng wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:45 pm
kocdim wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:25 am
Heng Heng Heng wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:51 pm 12 years of living here has taught me, rule number 1 is never go in to any partnership, purchase or business with a Khmer, wife or otherwise. As soon as the ink is dry you will lose lawyer or not. Good luck with that.
Whats you experience / option about partnership with wife?? You think she will walk away if the property is nice value and on her name??
She won't walk away, you will. Her family will help you pack. I know a girl that some dummy bought a house for, he was kicked out before the ink dried. I know another girl, this time the guy was a bit smarter, he put both of their names on the paperwork. She kicked him out, and they have spent months in court settling it. Final judgment was he lost about 75% of what he put in and with legal fees etc, he'd be lucky to get anything back. She was not ordered to sell the property as she has children - not his kids, so she can keep the house. She's got no money so he'll be lucky to get anything back. Refer back to rule number 1 before any purchase.
So lets say her family is very far. Lets say the couple lives in Siem Reap. The wife from Kampot or what ever. Is the involvement of the family still there? Because if the are far then should be less less problems?? Right??

Just ask yourself one question.
I guess we all want to "feel lucky". Thats why we are bothering with this girlfriend/wive thing:). :beer3:
Luigi
Expatriate

Post by Luigi »

It is understood that foreigners cannot own land outright.
But what happens in the event that the Khmer partner/wife/GF dies?
Does the property become a forced sale?
Must the foreigner find new Khmer partner/wife/GF?
How would foreigner protect himself in this situation?
I think the question would apply for hard or soft titled property.
Heng Heng Heng
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by Heng Heng Heng »

Many Khmer families have been forced off their own land that they have lived on for generations with little or no compensation. What chance would you have against a land grab if someone wanted to build a road through your property?
This is the voice of the Mysterons. We know that you can hear us Earthmen.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Luigi wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:49 am It is understood that foreigners cannot own land outright.
But what happens in the event that the Khmer partner/wife/GF dies?
Does the property become a forced sale?
Must the foreigner find new Khmer partner/wife/GF?
How would foreigner protect himself in this situation?
I think the question would apply for hard or soft titled property.
If a foreigner inherits a property through a will or through marriage to a Cambodian who passes away, and that property doesn’t have a strata title – or is not being held through a company with a Cambodian majority shareholder – he or she cannot assume ownership of the estate. In this situation, the law dictates that the estate becomes a legal entity, which the foreigner must sell within three months. The profits are then distributed among the heirs (including foreigners) and the entity is dissolved.

If the estate cannot be sold within three months, it must be handed over to the next inheritor in line holding Cambodian citizenship. The legal minimum age for property ownership is 18, so if there are children under 18 then even they cannot inherit the property.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

bolueeleh wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:08 am i dont need any other names on the paper of my land, just mine alone
Do you have Cambodian citizenship? If not, then you don't actually own the land.

If it's via the nominee structure or a company with a Cambodian majority share holder, then legally they own the land, and you'll want to have your ass covered with legal documentation. Fairly common methods for foreigners purchasing property here, and if done right fairly safe.

The only type of property a foreigner can legally own 100%, is strata-titled apartments/condos.
bangkokhooker
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by bangkokhooker »

Heng Heng Heng wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:14 am Many Khmer families have been forced off their own land that they have lived on for generations with little or no compensation. What chance would you have against a land grab if someone wanted to build a road through your property?
Generations of squatters.
They never owned the land and even though they will tell the media they had a signed document from some chief it never materialises.

Often they are Vietnamese immigrants who have less rights than Khmer squatters.

I stand to be corrected. If you know personally someone who bought land and has a title and was booted off then fair enough.
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Post by bolueeleh »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:47 pm
bolueeleh wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:08 am i dont need any other names on the paper of my land, just mine alone
Cambodian citizenship? If not, then you don't actually own the land.
bingo
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Post by bolueeleh »

Heng Heng Heng wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:14 am Many Khmer families have been forced off their own land that they have lived on for generations with little or no compensation. What chance would you have against a land grab if someone wanted to build a road through your property?
its all about perception n timing, lots squatters being bulldozed by rich people, so those cases that gets media attention will usually get something
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

bolueeleh wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:53 pm
PSD-Kiwi wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:47 pm
Cambodian citizenship? If not, then you don't actually own the land.
bingo
Boingo

You're talking in riddles la

Are you saying you have Cambodian citizenship or not?

If not, how is it that your name ALONE is on your land titles?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic