How much do you spend on a good night out in Phnom Penh?

This is the part of the forum where we discuss Cambodia's nightlife! While most bars, nightclubs, pubs, beer gardens, and hostess bars are in Phnom Penh, we discuss the Cambodian nightlife across all of Cambodia, including Siem Reap, Kampot, and Sihanoukville. The main nightlife areas in Phnom Penh are on Street 136, Street 130, Street 110 and Street 51, but there are other party spots that aren't girlie bars where expats, tourists, and locals drink until the sun comes up. Feel free to post specials and promotions that relate to nighttime fun!
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Re: How much do you spend on a good night out in Phnom Penh?

Post by bolueeleh »

superferret wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:07 amit's much harder to go out and have fun cheap like in the past.
thats the key word, progress and investments in almost all sectors have squeezed out the old modus operandi of the previous occupier with limited resources, welcome to the asian century
Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
superferret
Expatriate
Albania

Post by superferret »

BklynBoy wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:22 am
dusk til dawn closed?? erik is my boy... they were doing ok last summer....if thats the case...damn..
It's not closed, but I just spend a month with a direct view from my balcony so I saw it each night. The upper deck was open perhaps 1-2 nights in that month and I just saw a few people there when it was even open, the bottom part seems to be open but I only saw a couple people too. It's absolutely a shadow of the big parties they used to have.
BklynBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BklynBoy »

superferret wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:17 pm
BklynBoy wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:22 am
dusk til dawn closed?? erik is my boy... they were doing ok last summer....if thats the case...damn..
It's not closed, but I just spend a month with a direct view from my balcony so I saw it each night. The upper deck was open perhaps 1-2 nights in that month and I just saw a few people there when it was even open, the bottom part seems to be open but I only saw a couple people too. It's absolutely a shadow of the big parties they used to have.
That's unfortunate. Thanks for the info. I really had some good times there
Manhattan keeps on making it, Brooklyn keeps on taking it
dron
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by dron »

I spend between ten and two hundred a night. It depends on where I go, who I am with, and what I do. Pretty stupid answer I guess, but isn't that how it would be anywhere? You can spend as much as you want in PP or New York. There are bars with super cheap beer in America and places with twelve dollar cocktails here.
"The revolution did more than legally create the United States; it transformed American society... Far from remaining monarchical, hierarchy-ridden subjects on the margin of civilization, Americans had become, almost overnight, the most liberal, the most democratic, the most commercial minded, and the most modern people in the world." - Gordon S. Wood
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

dron wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:26 pm I spend between ten and two hundred a night. It depends on where I go, who I am with, and what I do. Pretty stupid answer I guess, but isn't that how it would be anywhere? You can spend as much as you want in PP or New York. There are bars with super cheap beer in America and places with twelve dollar cocktails here.
yup thats it :thumb:
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
shnoukieBRO
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by shnoukieBRO »

I bet you'd spend less if you had a few rum and cokes before heading out on the town. Sorry about being a cheap scate here but I guess happy hour out can be cheap too...good company means money doesn't really matter I guess and yea having fun usually means spending a fair amount...
BklynBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BklynBoy »

shnoukieBRO wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:27 am I bet you'd spend less if you had a few rum and cokes before heading out on the town. Sorry about being a cheap scate here but I guess happy hour out can be cheap too...good company means money doesn't really matter I guess and yea having fun usually means spending a fair amount...

Pre-gaming is always a good idea.. Even better if you take the rum out and just get the coke!!
Manhattan keeps on making it, Brooklyn keeps on taking it
Mr Curious
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Mr Curious »

the only time I paid 100 for Leo was NYE and everything else around was closed. Should be more like 59 baht.
on a recent visit to Vientiane I paid 45 baht for a large bottle of Beer Lao.
I miss the sidewalk bars. 130 for bourbon on the rocks, take one of the girls home for 1000 or so, no barfine. Watch the crazy show of Bkk streets the whole time. Maybe get the first Skytrain of the morning as the bars packed up.

How much you need depends on how much you make or how stupid you want to be I suppose.
dron
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by dron »

Price always goes up if there are a lot of women there. I guess they gotta pay the salaries somehow, though I'm sure it balances out. If I have a choice between a bar filled with miserable old men or one with dancing women in bikinis I'm going for the latter. Have an unlimited supply of the prior back home!
"The revolution did more than legally create the United States; it transformed American society... Far from remaining monarchical, hierarchy-ridden subjects on the margin of civilization, Americans had become, almost overnight, the most liberal, the most democratic, the most commercial minded, and the most modern people in the world." - Gordon S. Wood
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

Just for comparison sake: Booze is already cheap in Vietnam but happy hours in Vung Tau will turn you into a fire-breathing alky. I had to leave after 6 months. You'll see what I mean . . .

Buy 1, get 1 free. Translation: 30,000 dong/$1.30/40 baht for two Tigers, 90,000/$4/120 baht for two Jagermeister shots. So for four drinks, you shell out $5.30/160 baht. A double Black Label is $3. (It's not really Black but sort of close.) HH runs 5-9 pm at Red Parrot and MK Bar. Imagine the damage you can do in 4 hours.

At the Parrot (1st pic), HH prices extend to almost everything right well into the top shelf, e.g., single malts (Bushmill's Single Malt=135,000/$5.75 but you get 1 free), imported Euro beers (Erdinger 85,000/$3.75 but get 1 free), etc.

An HH Saigon Red is 20,000/90 cents/25 baht at Offshore. Regular price 30,000/$1.30/40 baht.

In Saigon, a Belgian Heverlee pint at Phatty's (2nd pic) is 100,000/$4.40/135 baht. Non-HH.

Forgot about Cask (3rd pic, non-girly bar). They sell East-West beers. Think it was 80,000 dong/$3.50/105 baht.

Image Image Image
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic