Is it time to go home?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Gardiguy
Expatriate
Canada

Re: Is it time to go home?

Post by Gardiguy »

phuketrichard wrote:
Gardiguy wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:00 am "there is work for Teachers in Myanmar BUT Not teachers without qualifications and outside of Yangon, no english language schools."

There are plenty of English teaching jobs outside of Yangon, not sure why you would say there aren't any. The problem with most teaching jobs there though are the hours, I have a friend teaching there that works upwards of 60 hours a week once you figure in all the extras required by the schools. Plays, parent meetings, etc.
i say that cause in all my travels throughout the country over my past 6 trips have seen no english language schools outside Yangon.
the teachers i do know, ( in Yangon and Mandalay) teach at international schools and work 8-4...
I have friends that teach in Taunggyi and Mawlamyine but I've only been there once so what do I know.
Borum-Ex frm TOForum
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Borum-Ex frm TOForum »

Username Taken wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:13 pm You missed it.

Let's try again. You wrote:
"vietnamese it ok to actually but I been there 5times."

As an English teacher, you should have written:
"Vietnamese it be ok two. But, ashley I's been their 5 times."
Also dear OP, engrish teacher, not to many commies, not two many commies, just TOO. Feel kind of sorry for the kids that you’re teaching...
I actually don't give a flying fuck, furthermore nice to meet you all here! :thumb:
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Gardiguy wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:14 am
phuketrichard wrote:
Gardiguy wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:00 am "there is work for Teachers in Myanmar BUT Not teachers without qualifications and outside of Yangon, no english language schools."

There are plenty of English teaching jobs outside of Yangon, not sure why you would say there aren't any. The problem with most teaching jobs there though are the hours, I have a friend teaching there that works upwards of 60 hours a week once you figure in all the extras required by the schools. Plays, parent meetings, etc.
i say that cause in all my travels throughout the country over my past 6 trips have seen no english language schools outside Yangon.
the teachers i do know, ( in Yangon and Mandalay) teach at international schools and work 8-4...
I have friends that teach in Taunggyi and Mawlamyine but I've only been there once so what do I know.
teach english in a language school or teach a subject at a full school?
What i am saying is i saw no "ONLY TEACH ENGLISH" schools like PP is full of, an where many,if not most tefler's "teach"
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
prahocalypse now
Expatriate
India

Post by prahocalypse now »

There are some in Mandalay.

For example, Northumbria English language Training Centre, English for the Real World Language School, Guiding Star English Learning Centre, and Acuity English Language Centre.

that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

phuketrichard wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:53 amteach english in a language school or teach a subject at a full school?
What i am saying is i saw no "ONLY TEACH ENGLISH" schools like PP is full of, an where many,if not most tefler's "teach"
I'm trying to avoid being a Grammar Nazi, but when I see people whose English is terrible lambasting others for their English-language skills, I do feel compelled to point out the hypocrisy.

They're not themselves in a position to criticise. They're not employed as a teacher, and I doubt they ever have been. As such, I doubt they would be aware of openings or institutions. Photography studios, maybe.

In other words, disregard what they post.

Use Google, or find a local forum with currently-teaching members in Myanmar if you can.

This advice is offered in the spirit of the forum, which should be to assist people, not tear others down.

Try TEFL.com or seriousteachers.com...but your best bet is to contact people who are teaching there at the moment.

As with any developing country, internet adverts are few and far between, and usually posted only by truly international schools.
Last edited by that genius on Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

I did a couple of week long trips to Yangon in the early 2000's before the place really opened up, then when it did open up the cost of accomodation in Yangon shot up overnight due to a shortage for increased visitor numbers. I wonder if the higher salaries on offer are to some extent offset by the higher accomodation cost relative to other neighbouring countries in the region. Obviously you look at both sides of the equation when considering moving.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Every teacher i know that teaches, (i know 5 currently teaching there now) or has taught in Myanmar in a Full school, (not language school), had their accommodations taken care of.. all very nice accommodations as well...
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

that genius wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:25 am
phuketrichard wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:53 amteach english in a language school or teach a subject at a full school?
I'm trying to avoid being a Grammar Nazi, but when I see people whose English is terrible lambasting others for their English-language skills, I do feel compelled to point out the hypocrisy.
Richard has often admitted that he is aware his writing skills aren't up to much. He is not claiming to be an English teacher himself so his criticisms of the barely-literate BKK Trapper are valid. I can criticize someone who carelessly crashes a truck without being a truck driver myself.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Gardiguy
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Gardiguy »

If trapper really wants to try something new he could go teach English in Colombia, you won't make tons of money but they have amazing beaches, beer, babes and beautiful weather year round. As an oz he would also be a special snowflake, although it might be a bit far from home for him.
Edit: Columbia ~ Colombia
Last edited by Gardiguy on Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Borum-Ex frm TOForum
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Borum-Ex frm TOForum »

Gardiguy wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:10 pm If trapper really wants to try something new he could go teach English in Columbia, you won't make tons of money but they have amazing beaches, beer, babes and beautiful weather year round. As an oz he would also be a special snowflake, although it might be a bit far from home for him.
And great n cheap paste, you can basically plaster your walls with it, if you meant Colombia...
I actually don't give a flying fuck, furthermore nice to meet you all here! :thumb:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic