New information & confusion with work permits & business Visas

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
hame
Tourist
Australia

New information & confusion with work permits & business Visas

Post by hame »

So I go to my local trusted travel agent whom i've known personally for the last 4 years and they inform me that from now you no longer need a work permit and that you now pay $410 for a 12 mth business visa, they are advising work permits are no longer required and that you just show your new place of work your Business visa and your ok for the next 12 months to work. As long as your have that business visa.

I head up the road along riverside to another travel agent and they tell me a 12 mth business visa is $290 and you need a letter from your employer stating you work with a blue stamp on it, they also say that you no longer need a work permit and you just show your place of work your business visa.

As of friday the school I work for is saying we need a work permit and they are getting raided by immigration in a month ( i like the pre warning) I mention to the HR guy at the school that i'm being told work permits are no longer required and he is saying that is rubbish .. the school is advising they process work permits for $170

I'm a little concerned as I arrived here 2014 and have never had a work permit .. I have a feeling I will have to pay from when I arrived or a fine?

Anyone hear any of these conflicting stories and have any idea what is going on .. maybe these stories will start coming out in the next month or so?
Stramash23
Expatriate

Re: Mew information & confusion with work permits & business Visas

Post by Stramash23 »

The 410 is a rip off.

It's sort of quite simple:

To get your EB extension, you need to show a letter from employer (registered company here with stamp) - Price hasn't change, around 285/290

If you have a EB extension, then you are legally required to have a work permit. You have until march 31st (or Khmer New Year by some reports). If, after that, they catch you with EB extension and no work permit, then you face fines and/or deportation and/or prison. *

*Note: Cambodian immigration and MOLVT reserve the right to move the goalposts at any time and without notice, so they can laugh at the confused barangs.
Too weird to live, too rare to die
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: Mew information & confusion with work permits & business Visas

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

:facepalm:

This has been discussed numerous times, let me explain...

If you work you require a WP. If you haven't had one for previous years you've been here on an E-type visa EOS you will be fined for those years. The deadline is 31st March, you can do it yourself online...

https://fwcms.mlvt.gov.kh

In order to obtain any EB EOS, you now need to provide a letter of employment from your employer which is stamped with the relevant official stamp (MoC, MoEYS, other as applicaple).

What the agents are saying, is that you don't submit your WP when applying for an EB EOS, but you must submit the employment letter...oh, and $400+ for a 12 mth EB EOS is a complete rip off!
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: New information & confusion with work permits & business Visas

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Employment letter template

hame
Tourist
Australia

Re: New information & confusion with work permits & business Visas

Post by hame »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:36 pm Employment letter template

Cheers for the information .. I will show these forms to my school and get a letter made up :)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic