Safari World, Cambodia's largest zoo, opening soon in Phnom Penh

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Re: Safari World, Cambodia's largest zoo, opening soon in Phnom Penh

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

I wrote a report on it two years ago.
Superficially it looks ok.
But the cage sizes, and the total ignorance and lack of care for the animals psyco-social needs is appalling.
The orangatung boxing matches are not fighting,in fact the interaction is probably the high point in their day.
But for highly developed animals like this, their bare open compounds where they listlessly loll about with no natural stimulation - is just plain wrong. capital W.
Cruel, and introducing really bad ideas to Cambodians about the role of these wild animals.

My big concern - if they get big enough they will introduce dolphins.
Same operators had them in Koh Kong.
Threatened species, Illegally captured locally. Hundred died in the capture or shortly after.
(that is reason enough not to give them your $$$ and support, i reckon)
China now has about 60 (160?) dolphinariums, and i expect we will soon too.

Make your own judgement, but i strongly encourage people to boycott the place.
Phnom Tamao on the other hand, is fab.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

Thanks for the feedback.. and so promptly.

We will be taking a river cruise or going to phnom Tamao instead.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Good on you Ira!!
So many people just don't care.

Check the otters at Phnom Tamao if you go there, the kids will be transfixed.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Gilmore wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:47 am I visited Safari World several times with my kids, when it was located in Koh Kong. The orangutang living facilities were excellent, far superior to most zoos, and the animals seemed healthy and well adjusted. The boxing show was even less serious than WWE. The animals wore heavily padded gloves and no serious blows were landed. The bouts were staged purely for comedy.
I also watched tigers being trained for shows. What impressed me was that they were not using any form of punishment or threats; only food rewards. Don't be too quick to condemn. I've seen far worse in developed countries.
With due respect, Gilmore.
I note you used to be a travel writer.

- Is there any such thing as a travel journalist?
Or do you guys always just automatically cut and paste the biz promos?
That's how it always appears to me.
- Do travel writers have any responsibility to investigate deeper than that?
Any travel writing on animal attractions has a particular duty, IMO.

PS - i am astonished you could say that ^^^ about KK SW even at the most superficial glance.
Lost lonely animals in a stimulation dead zone. The death rate across the board was appalling (i did an undercover report on there too). But the dolphin history was exceptionally horrific.
Sorry, i know travel writers are deaf to this sort of stuff but i am speaking now to your readers. They rarely ever get hear the truth, or anything useful, from a travel writer.

I am not usually a captive animal activist, my field is in the wild, and i could hardly be call "activist".
But i took an interest in KKSW because of the permanent damage they did to two precious Cambodian populations of endangered inshore dolphin species in Koh Kong. (Irrawaddy and Indo-pacific humback, the sometimes pink ones).
And the possible threat that PP SW poses again if they decide to add this "attraction" to their big new circus.

(imo only and not personal)
WildA
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by WildA »

I will not support a zoo or animal show that is not up to the regulations and accredation standards of the major zoos in the USA, and, which does not provide large suitable natural well designed enclosures for the critters. To me, the role of a zoo is primarily conservation and education, display second (admissions help support the conservation and education programs) so unless they are conserving and educating, then its nothing more than exploitation.

Oh and I am not a PETAPITA, and I happily eat meat and fish, I happily hunt and fish, and I wear fur, as long as I source the fur myself. Well I dont wear fur anymore because its too hot, but I did in the past:).
Naturam expelles furca, tamen usque recurret. Horace
Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean they arent out to get you. Pynchon
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

WildA wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:00 am I will not support a zoo or animal show that is not up to the regulations and accredation standards of the major zoos in the USA, and, which does not provide large suitable natural well designed enclosures for the critters. To me, the role of a zoo is primarily conservation and education, display second (admissions help support the conservation and education programs) so unless they are conserving and educating, then its nothing more than exploitation.

Oh and I am not a PETAPITA, and I happily eat meat and fish, I happily hunt and fish, and I wear fur, as long as I source the fur myself. Well I dont wear fur anymore because its too hot, but I did in the past:).

I
Like most things here in Cambodia it's a business and its object is to make money , whether it be schools, hospitals or other.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
WildA
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by WildA »

Duncan wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:28 am
WildA wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:00 am I will not support a zoo or animal show that is not up to the regulations and accredation standards of the major zoos in the USA, and, which does not provide large suitable natural well designed enclosures for the critters. To me, the role of a zoo is primarily conservation and education, display second (admissions help support the conservation and education programs) so unless they are conserving and educating, then its nothing more than exploitation.

I
Like most things here in Cambodia it's a business and its object is to make money , whether it be schools, hospitals or other.
Well thats why any zoo here, or in Thailand, isnt getting mine.
Naturam expelles furca, tamen usque recurret. Horace
Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean they arent out to get you. Pynchon
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

I always wonder why people complain about animals
being locked up in unhuman cramped overcrowded conditions but we are blind when it comes to putting people in cages.
If an animal is dangerous or kills, or a person is dangerous and kills and puts others at risk, then I can see the point.

I visited a Cambodian girl on death row in Malaysia last Wednesday. Twenty minuets talking on a phone with a glass panel between us, then back to the cell until I visit in another six months time.

And today I wonder are the animals inside the cage or outside of the cage .
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Duncan wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:35 pm I always wonder why people complain about animals
being locked up in unhuman cramped overcrowded conditions but we are blind when it comes to putting people in cages.
If an animal is dangerous or kills, or a person is dangerous and kills and puts others at risk, then I can see the point.

I visited a Cambodian girl on death row in Malaysia last Wednesday. Twenty minuets talking on a phone with a glass panel between us, then back to the cell until I visit in another six months time.

And today I wonder are the animals inside the cage or outside of the cage .
Main difference is the people did something against society or some law which landed them in Jail, (except of course the 75% that are innocent)
The animals did nothing wrong, but still ended up locked up

SE Asian countries dont need look to the zoos in America to see how to house the animals, a quick trip to Singapore would do the trick.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Yeah looks great. The Singapore "zoos". they really do.
Like this magnificent one
Underwater World, Sentosa
Truly world class - hard to find a word against it on Google.

Opened to great fanfare in 2012 with "over two dozen pink Indo-pacific Humpback dolphins" as its star attraction.
Five years of accolades before they went broke.

Nobody knew where the dolphins came from (my obvious guess is the Gulf)
but we know where four of them went - sold off to China.
All the others had died.

My detailed investigations of the Koh Kong captures for KK Safari Wank, including interviewing the boatmen involved, revealed a huge death toll during the capture exercise, and none of them lasted long once they hit the park.
Just because they are cute and pink, doesn't make them good at living in chlorinated swimming pools turning tricks for a living.

For this..

(ps, i do agree Singapore's various, massive, stocked to the eyeballs, animal circuses and flashy displays are better than most - but so much of the whole zoo business is just plain wrong in my book.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic