Requirements to get a Retirement Visa

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Ricky Shaw
Expatriate
Djibouti

Re: Requirements to get a Retirement Visa

Post by Ricky Shaw »

Talking Cambodia...not Thailand.

dron wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:14 pm
phuketrichard wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:41 pm
There are lots of ways to stay in Thailand including many that aren't mentioned. In some parts of Thailand you can still enroll in classes and get an education visa with little to no obligation to actually study anything. It's not nearly as cheap as a one year visa renewal here though.

ALL parts of thailand IF there is a recognized school.training facility...
Courses run about 25-30,000 baht/year and will give u all paperwork to get ur 1 year visa,( you still need pay for it) You DO Need go to school (or at least learn thai), as from the 2nd application on, the immigration will question u in thai...
You DONT have to only study thai, u can study cooking, Muay Thai, Massage, another foreign language, just about anything from a recolonized school.
Not to get too deep into it, but there are still some schools (and I use the term loosely) in Thailand owned by connected people that require little to no actual class attendance. Similarly, they teach things other than the Thai language that immigration simply wouldn't be able to check (are they going to ask to see you do a chop block?). These schools usually have things like queuing services too, where they have someone wait at immigration and then call you when it's time for you to do your thing. That way you don't have to wait yourself every three months. They're basically set up for people who want to stay in the country to do it.

I've personally spent a few months in Thailand and that was more than enough for me. It is definitely not the place for me.
Makewa
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Makewa »

In mid-February I applied for an ER visa with supporting and the agent called me from immigration to say it was refused out of hand as I am under 56.

Would be good if PSD-Kiwi could give date of issue, name of agent, or something.
Ditto.
(┛◉Д◉)┛
Expatriate
Barbados

Post by (┛◉Д◉)┛ »

Makewa wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:58 am In mid-February I applied for an ER visa and the agent called me from immigration to say it was refused as I am under 56.
nah they refused you because you had the wrong passport for the current situation
KickingWithRedLabel
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by KickingWithRedLabel »

It seems like if a person needed a retirement letter and a bank statement with a minimum balance, a few downloads of images run through paintbrush could do the trick.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Makewa, there are a couple of posters on this forum who are under 55 who have received the ER EOS recently. I will not share their experience or details as they were sent to me via PM...but if they would like to share it's up to them.

As mentioned, the agent Call Kim has a good reputation for assisting and obtaining ER EOS for people under 55, try her.
Echobeach
Tourist
Great Britain

Post by Echobeach »

I am so confused .

My home in the UK is sold and i am planning to travel out to SE Asia in May and whilst i intend to travel for a month or two , I am looking to settle somewhere for a year and was going to choose Siem Reap . I am 53 and have enough funds to keep me . I wish to stay for a year and study for my TEFL yet the situation in Cambodia seems baffling .

If i could guarantee between 6 months and a year's multiple entry , that would be perfect as it means i could rent a small room and travel back and forth to a home base . I can easily get a year's multiple entry visa for Vietnam but i do like Siem Reap .
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Echobeach wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:30 pm I am so confused .

My home in the UK is sold and i am planning to travel out to SE Asia in May and whilst i intend to travel for a month or two , I am looking to settle somewhere for a year and was going to choose Siem Reap . I am 53 and have enough funds to keep me . I wish to stay for a year and study for my TEFL yet the situation in Cambodia seems baffling .

If i could guarantee between 6 months and a year's multiple entry , that would be perfect as it means i could rent a small room and travel back and forth to a home base . I can easily get a year's multiple entry visa for Vietnam but i do like Siem Reap .
Don't panic, currently you can get a 1 month visa on arrival and get a 6 moth extension to find a job. After that you can do a visa run to Thailand, enter on a tourist visa, extend for 1 month and you have 9 months with just one visa run. The tourist visa is single entry though.
Echobeach
Tourist
Great Britain

Post by Echobeach »

Thanks , i really do want a base for a while and then decide what exactly i want and where !
soup
Expatriate
Andorra

Post by soup »

I applied for the retirement visa in September of last year at the age of 54 through Lucky Lucky on Monivong on a US passport.

I showed no docs or statements. They prepped a letter. They said renewal would be easy next year.

300.00usd and about a week, and it was done.
Pjebee39
Tourist
Great Britain

Post by Pjebee39 »

My wife and I are hoping to relocate to Siem Reap later this year - we are not looking to work - I am 54 and my wife is 45 - we don’t currrently get any pension from the U.K. - is it possible to both get an ER by just showing our bank statement?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic