Requirements to get a Retirement Visa

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Requirements to get a Retirement Visa

Post by armchairlawyer »

frank lee bent wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:23 pm given the antics of some people, it is not really surprising.
i notice many openly critical and insulting posts regarding administration on some of the fb groups.
i am very certain that some of those individuals will find it impossible to get EOS
even those using anonymous handles will be very readily identified through various technical means
Oh my Buddha,that sounds terrible! What are they saying that is so insulting? Presumbly being a bit critical is OK with you.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

sure, fine with me. i am pretty hard tooffend. maybe not so fine with the government here though.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/sihanoukvilleexpats/
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:32 pm
taabarang wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:18 pm Nathan Thompson is reporting on Twitter that the Cambodian government will no longer issue long-term visas without you holding a work permit, effective 1 September. By long-term visas, I assume he means 6mth and 12mth Extensions of Stay.
I'm not sure what his source is, but Nathan is the head of the Overseas Press Club in Cambodia; I wouldn't dismiss it as scuttlebutt just yet.
If true, it's not a surprising development but it will obviously impact many many expats, including not a few posters here.
https://twitter.com/NathanWrites
"Sheffield, where I changed / And ate an awful pie." scobienz
Twat Flannel

This was just posted on TOF; I hope I haven't breached forum etiquette by cutting and pasting here. If Scobie's claim is true however, it could affect many expats here, including posters on this forum.
:facepalm:

Dude...that was posted months ago, Aug 24 2017 to be precise! That is an old thread which is still active.
OK, I stand properly admonished, but is there any official action or document that substantiates the claims in that post, albeit a few months old?
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Have you not been following any of the visa update posts?

Since that post on TOF, the requirements to get any EB EOS (1,3,6,12 mth) have changed significantly. You need to provide supporting documentation in the form of an Employment letter and/or Business licensing documentation...NOT WP.

If you're 55+ you can obtain an ER EOS (1,3,6,12 mths) without providing supporting documentation. Under 55 you need to provide supporting documentation.

EG EOS (1,3,6 mths) requires no supporting documentation.

ES EOS (1,3,6,12 mths) requires supporting documentation.

The other categories also require supporting documentation .
bangkokhooker
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by bangkokhooker »

PSD-Kiwi just now.
Makewa
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Makewa »

My friends just got a retirement visa, and I attempted to also.
Since 9 February 2018:
Under 56 years - no ER visa possible. The agent rang from the immigration office to confirm this.
Over 55 years of age - you must write a request letter (A good agent will print it for you to sign) and attach proof of pension. Any kind of letter from any authority saying you are getting x pension will do.
You must have this.
My friends had a statement of the UK service pension.
Ditto.
offroadscholar
Expatriate
Australia

Post by offroadscholar »

Makewa wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:02 pm My friends just got a retirement visa, and I attempted to also.
Since 9 February 2018:
Under 56 years - no ER visa possible. The agent rang from the immigration office to confirm this.
Over 55 years of age - you must write a request letter (A good agent will print it for you to sign) and attach proof of pension. Any kind of letter from any authority saying you are getting x pension will do.
You must have this.
My friends had a statement of the UK service pension.
I was told 56 yo too, or put another way, over 55.
However, if you are extending a current ER, and over 55, I'm told a request letter or proof of pension is not required.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Once again, conflicting information, just last week it was confirmed to me via PM (not on the forums) that a 44 year old received his first ER EOS. He followed my advice, wrote a stat dec stating that he does not work, nor intend to work in Cambodia as he has sufficient funds to support himself, he backed this up by providing bank statements.

If an agent tells you that its not possible to obtain an ER EOS if under 55, 56, 60 or whatever, then try a different agent...Because it IS possible.
dron
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by dron »

phuketrichard wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:41 pm
There are lots of ways to stay in Thailand including many that aren't mentioned. In some parts of Thailand you can still enroll in classes and get an education visa with little to no obligation to actually study anything. It's not nearly as cheap as a one year visa renewal here though.

ALL parts of thailand IF there is a recognized school.training facility...
Courses run about 25-30,000 baht/year and will give u all paperwork to get ur 1 year visa,( you still need pay for it) You DO Need go to school (or at least learn thai), as from the 2nd application on, the immigration will question u in thai...
You DONT have to only study thai, u can study cooking, Muay Thai, Massage, another foreign language, just about anything from a recolonized school.
Not to get too deep into it, but there are still some schools (and I use the term loosely) in Thailand owned by connected people that require little to no actual class attendance. Similarly, they teach things other than the Thai language that immigration simply wouldn't be able to check (are they going to ask to see you do a chop block?). These schools usually have things like queuing services too, where they have someone wait at immigration and then call you when it's time for you to do your thing. That way you don't have to wait yourself every three months. They're basically set up for people who want to stay in the country to do it.

I've personally spent a few months in Thailand and that was more than enough for me. It is definitely not the place for me.
"The revolution did more than legally create the United States; it transformed American society... Far from remaining monarchical, hierarchy-ridden subjects on the margin of civilization, Americans had become, almost overnight, the most liberal, the most democratic, the most commercial minded, and the most modern people in the world." - Gordon S. Wood
dron
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by dron »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:57 pm Once again, conflicting information, just last week it was confirmed to me via PM (not on the forums) that a 44 year old received his first ER EOS. He followed my advice, wrote a stat dec stating that he does not work, nor intend to work in Cambodia as he has sufficient funds to support himself, he backed this up by providing bank statements.

If an agent tells you that its not possible to obtain an ER EOS if under 55, 56, 60 or whatever, then try a different agent...Because it IS possible.
Any ideas on agents? I've brought this up with 3 different agents and they all basically laughed at me. I'm in my thirties but have more than enough recurring passive monthly income with bank statements to prove it.
"The revolution did more than legally create the United States; it transformed American society... Far from remaining monarchical, hierarchy-ridden subjects on the margin of civilization, Americans had become, almost overnight, the most liberal, the most democratic, the most commercial minded, and the most modern people in the world." - Gordon S. Wood
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic