Several Foreigners Detained at Golden Lion's Circle in Sihanoukville for Traffic Violations

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Re: Several Foreigners Detained at Golden Lion's Circle in Sihanoukville for Traffic Violations

Post by Username Taken »

Wear a Go-Pro on your head. They'll just wave you through.
easye
Tourist
Afghanistan

Re: Several Foreigners Detained at Golden Lion's Circle in Sihanoukville for Traffic Violations

Post by easye »

Do they really stop you for driving with your head lights on during the day time? I was driving my scooter and a guy at a stop light pointed out that my lights were still on, so now I understand why. But... what's the reasoning behind this?
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

easye wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:55 am Do they really stop you for driving with your head lights on during the day time? I was driving my scooter and a guy at a stop light pointed out that my lights were still on, so now I understand why. But... what's the reasoning behind this?

Quite simple really, The lights on your Honda Today scooter could easily blind the traffic cop and he will not see you coming.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

easye wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:55 am Do they really stop you for driving with your head lights on during the day time? I was driving my scooter and a guy at a stop light pointed out that my lights were still on, so now I understand why. But... what's the reasoning behind this?
– and that no, it is not against the law to drive with your lights on during the day (i.e. Article 27, point 1, subsection D), the law, however, clarified which driving offenses were punishable by fines. http://www.khmertimeskh.com/news/28941/ ... -the-road/

Previously "lights on" during the day was reserved for government officials etc.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Should keep the lights on in the daytime, then they won't forget them at night time.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

Kuroneko wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:11 am
– and that no, it is not against the law to drive with your lights on during the day (i.e. Article 27, point 1, subsection D), the law, however, clarified which driving offenses were punishable by fines. http://www.khmertimeskh.com/news/28941/ ... -the-road/

Previously "lights on" during the day was reserved for government officials etc.
They changed that law and also the law on who gives way at a roundabout but sadly didn't inform everyone.
bangkokhooker
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by bangkokhooker »

Username Taken wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:30 am Wear a Go-Pro on your head. They'll just wave you through.
Because they’d be laughing so much.
Makewa
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Makewa »

The breathalyzer has been a frequent (if erratic) sight in Sihanoukville since at least mid-2017, but mainly reserved for car drivers.

Cambodia is not a signatory to International Driving Permits.
https://www.theaa.com/driving-advice/dr ... untry-list

Locals in the provinces get fined for daytime headlights too.
Ditto.
bangkokhooker
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by bangkokhooker »

Only VIPs are allowed headlight on in the daytime.

The breathalysers have been here since st least 2015.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

bangkokhooker wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:50 pm
Username Taken wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:30 am Wear a Go-Pro on your head. They'll just wave you through.
Because they’d be laughing so much.
Sounds like you don't believe me.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic