Dog Meat is Growing in Popularity Among Cambodians; Several Restaurants in Phnom Penh

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Dog Meat is Growing in Popularity Among Cambodians; Several Restaurants in Phnom Penh

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Phnom Penh: A growing trend in Cambodia is people going to 'special meat' restaurants to eat dog meat. It has become more and more popular in recent years. You can get your dog meat grilled or fried. Most of the dog meat cafe's customers are male, who like to eat it with a bit of Khmer herbal wine.

There are many restaurants serving dog meet on street 374, Sangkat Toul Svayprey 2, Khan Chamkarmorn, and on street 371 near BeSe Market in Phnom Penh.

According to one of the sellers of the 'special meat,' they have been selling dog meat there for many years. At first he only sold one dog a day to drooling customers, but now it's so popular that he butchers 3 dogs a day for these people who eat man's best friend. According to one customer, he loves the taste of dog meat and comes here quite often to eat with his friends and drink herbal wine.

Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Re: Dog Meat is Growing in Popularity Among Cambodians; Several Restaurants in Phnom Penh

Post by that genius »

I hope they all die
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Re: Dog Meat is Growing in Popularity Among Cambodians; Several Restaurants in Phnom Penh

Post by Anchor Moy »

that genius wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:55 pm I hope they all die
Sometimes they do.
newsworthy/dead-kampot-from-dog-meat-an ... ice%20wine
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

Anchor Moy wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:07 pm
that genius wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:55 pm I hope they all die
Sometimes they do.
newsworthy/dead-kampot-from-dog-meat-an ... ice%20wine
Not often enough.

Dumb redneck scumbags.
Sidewalker
Expatriate
Netherlands

Post by Sidewalker »

I don't care, it's a Cambodian custom and who am I to make comments on that?
There are people who cannot imagine that there are other ways of life than their own life. :facepalm:
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

Sidewalker wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:00 pm I don't care, it's a Cambodian custom and who am I to make comments on that?
I don't think it's originally Cambodian, it's Chinese.

They don't let people take photos of the restaurants, usually. Doesn't that say something?

The objection is about the bonding. I suppose if they used dogs which were not pets it might be considered marginally less objectionable. Not many people keep pet pigs or cows, but if they did, I'd respect that relationship.

The point is that these restaurants steal dogs which are kept as pets..they get 2 guys to ride around neighbourhoods on a moto at night, one with a long bamboo stick and there is a noose tied to it. They lasso the dog and drag it until it is dead.

They break into properties to steal dogs kept as pets.

But hey, you're right, way easier to cop out with the 'I'm a visitor' strategy, after all theft and cruelty are no big deal, right? :?
Sidewalker
Expatriate
Netherlands

Post by Sidewalker »

Right!
There are people who cannot imagine that there are other ways of life than their own life. :facepalm:
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

that genius wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:16 pm
Sidewalker wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:00 pm I don't care, it's a Cambodian custom and who am I to make comments on that?
I don't think it's originally Cambodian, it's Chinese.

They don't let people take photos of the restaurants, usually. Doesn't that say something?

The objection is about the bonding. I suppose if they used dogs which were not pets it might be considered marginally less objectionable. Not many people keep pet pigs or cows, but if they did, I'd respect that relationship.

The point is that these restaurants steal dogs which are kept as pets..they get 2 guys to ride around neighbourhoods on a moto at night, one with a long bamboo stick and there is a noose tied to it. They lasso the dog and drag it until it is dead.

They break into properties to steal dogs kept as pets.

But hey, you're right, way easier to cop out with the 'I'm a visitor' strategy, after all theft and cruelty are no big deal, right? :?
It may happen like you say. I would have thought the restaurant owners may buy the dogs from people or breed their own.
When you think about it! Horse meat in some western countries is a no, no. But in some it’s just another form of food. For my taste it is a little too much on the sweet side.
:popcorn:
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Cambo Dear
Expatriate
Libya

Post by Cambo Dear »

Some eat dog, some eat horse,some eat pig and others do not- everyone has their own beliefs and social constraints regarding what is and what is not socially acceptable to eat. Eating a dog isn't the end of the world and isn't really noteworthy in Cambodia.
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

The dogs I've eaten I was assured came from special dog meat breeders. It's going to be chewy as fuck if it comes off a khmer bbq. It's really not worth bothering with.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic