Changing oil and maintenance of a Cambodian scooter

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
superferret
Expatriate
Albania

Changing oil and maintenance of a Cambodian scooter

Post by superferret »

I'm new to scooters and recently purchased a Yamaha Taurus 114 cc underbone, no idea what year but it was registered in 2012
The speedometer is not working, so possible the odometer is also not working.
Anyone know how often I'm supposed to change the oil on these things and is there anything else I need to do for routine maintenance?
It's a manual bike. Also it says on the registration card Type: Srey (i.e. woman) what does that mean?
I heard the oil change is 5 dollars, is that correct?

Thanks
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Re: Changing oil and maintenance of a Cambodian scooter

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

superferret wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:21 am I'm new to scooters and recently purchased a Yamaha Taurus 114 cc underbone, no idea what year but it was registered in 2012
Anyone know how often I'm supposed to change the oil on these things and is there anything else I need to do for routine maintenance?
It's a manual bike. Also it says on the registration card Type: Srey (i.e. woman) what does that mean?

Thanks
mine used to cost $4 but it depends on what oil you use, cheap or expensive
might be good to do an oil change or 2 as soon as you buy it to clear out all the old stuff,
you can change it as often as you like maybe once every 1-2000miles or something
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
kocdim
Expatriate
Fiji

Post by kocdim »

superferret wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:21 am I'm new to scooters and recently purchased a Yamaha Taurus 114 cc underbone, no idea what year but it was registered in 2012

Thanks
You should change the oil every month. So new oil once per month. You will protect the engine. If you dont do that you will start getting problems with starting the engine and when you brake sudden might start turning off. So you will have to keep on restarting it. Also watch the breaks. IF you feel they are loose (doesnt break that much) you need to refell the breaking oil. I think just the front break the breaking oil. The back break just tigten the scrue. The shop will charge you 5 dollars for the break but is well worth it. Also there is lot of mud on the top of the engine and the filter because of the rain. You might want to remove the seat and clean up the mud with tooth brash and wet towel (dont use so much water it might mess up the electronics). The motor will run much better. Check the tires all the time before you start the motor. The air from the tires can get out if you hit something hard, like stone. If you dont add air you will end up flat tire (and you have to push to the shop and probably buy new interior tire). Also check the outside tires. If they dont have enough spacing between the lines (is used up tires) you will need to change it. When it start raining you will slide on the mud if the outside tire no good.
:beer3:
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by epidemiks »

Once every three months should be plenty, unless you're doing regular highway miles.

Not much else needed besides keeping the tyres and brakes in check. Fill the tyres once a month and have the brakes adjusted with the oil changes.

Srey because it's a step-through, I think.

phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Cambodia/Thai/Laos all the same, assume u mean semi manual ( change gears but no clutch) ?
i change mine every 3-4 months ( only do about 300 kms/month) if i remember..
if its a front disk brake, check fluid when u change oil, rear brake check and adjust
I use Sonax -orange can MoS2 Oil ( same WD 40) on all cables, springs, anything that moves, every 2 months
check tries often...

Just for comparison.... oil change here in Phuket is 120 baht ( $3.80) air FREE, shop I use, also adjusts my brakes for free
Change spark plug once/year
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Have a check on the belt, it's guaranteed to last 25k km's, but since your odo is broken.....

Yo also might want to check the air filter. After cleaning it out / replacing it you might notice either a lot more power, or a reduction in the use of gas.
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

Thanks
I run a Jupiter which is the same as the Taurus but with alloy wheels and front disc. I bought it new in 2012 at the main dealers YAMAHA TOWN Bak Touk, No. 35 DEF, Street Tchecoslovaquie(169). I change oil every 1000k but I would not leave an oil change longer than 3 months. I always take it to Yamaha Town for regular service, most of the work they do free and you only pay for parts.

If you've just got it I would take it to Yamaha Town and let them sort everything out. They should fix the speedo cable, they often come lose or are disconnected deliberately (they did mine FOC), get them to check breaks, chain and sprockets (A chain and sprocket set lasts between 20,000 and 25,000ks and costs about $20). They used to be really good with their work but now with new staff its not as efficient and you need to make sure they do everything asked. They have an English speaking staff that can help.

Seeing that you have just got it I would change oil filter ($3.50 but might have gone up recently) oil (Yamalube 4T $4.40) Air cleaner ($7) spark plug ($2.20). Check the break shoes and replace if necessary. Not sure of cost here as mine has a disc and pads are ($18) If you have any problem with the battery get a Yuasa from around Orussey Market for about $10. Yamaha batteries are expensive.
Last edited by Kuroneko on Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

brakes. brake pads.

:hattip:
one_dolla
Expatriate

Post by one_dolla »

probably just the speedometer cable mine went a two months ago $5 had a new one fitted.

oil 2-3 months
back brake: pop the bike up on the middle stand so the back wheel is off the ground. spin the wheel by hand it should rotate freely, if gears in neutral or autobike, screw the adjuster on the cable in little by little to you notice the wheel not spin so freely and back adjuster off one or two flats.
Front brake - fluid should not go down unless leak but will get lower as pads wear - depending on mileage done new pads every 3-6 months easy to check usually $3 fitted. I find in wet season pads wear more I guess more abrasive crud on disc from going through mud etc...
Keep your tires inflated hard it helps avoid punctures.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Oil, oil filter, air filter, spark plug.

The lot should be under $20.

I change every month, by and large on scooters, but it's not necessary; up to every 3000km is fine.

Yamaha's are bulletproof.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic