What to do with your left-over riel, kyat, kip and other useless currencies

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

What to do with your left-over riel, kyat, kip and other useless currencies

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

This may be a useful way of getting rid of those currencies that nobody wants. What else can you do with that pile of kip you picked up in Laos for example ?

You have left over foreign currencies and want to sell them to other travellers ?
Or you want to buy some currencies for your next destination ?
Buy or sell your leftover notes and coins from individuals here in a simple and uncomplicated way.
Free, no fees, easy, all currencies worldwide, in 1 Minute done!
Help other travelers or yourself to live dreams...
https://www.jojmoney.com/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Nadal
Tourist
Israel

Re: What to do with your left-over riel, kyat, kip and other useless currencies

Post by Nadal »

Yeah, this make sense.
I am a tourist guide and have been looking for a way for a long time to sell my collected currencies (tip).
I have found some press articles about the portal, but are all in German ( i think )
I think we should push that in Cambodia.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

trying to find the catch;
no fee to join

180,000 KHR 0 coins , 21 bills 1414.3 THB ( current exchange rate) 1171.- THB ( buy for)
profit of 243 baht
BUT u pay first ( via paypal) and than the seller sends u the cash by mail
I registered as it seems like a good idea BUT
no way am i going to pay for something that i have no idea if the seller has

about info is in german (i think)
Rechtsinformation:
Jojmoney.com ist ein Marktplatz für Rest-Devisen.
Der Gegenwert der Devisen darf und kann 3153 THB nicht übersteigen.
Jojmoney tritt als Vermittler auf, und bringt Käufer und Verkäufer zusammen.
Der Käufer geht mit dem Verkäufer einen Kaufvertrag im Sinne eines Privatkaufes ein

site is run out of Austria ( which amazingly is the same place the seller of the riel is at) according to who is
336 days old
Created on 2017-03-30
Daniela Noisternigg
Suchknecht
Waldhofweg 17,
Koppl, Salzburg, 5321, AT

i placed in 1,000 thai baht for sale and this is what it gave me
The buyer pays: 820 THB
Your merit 820 THB

so i would lose 180 baht and i have to pay for postage to send the currency

If someone buys your currency, the buyer will be asked to transfer the purchase price to you.
Upon receipt, you will ship the goods to the buyer.

There are NO REVIEWS online for jojomoney, in fact NOTHING online when u run a search BUT the domain.
which is very unusual for a site that has been up almost a year
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=%22jojmoney.c ... 6-6&ia=web
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
ceoceo
Tourist
Austria

Post by ceoceo »

hi guys !

first - greetings from austria, i'm the ceo of jojmoney.
the website is up since 1st of january , thats why no reviews 😉
You said "i lose 180 bht" ... you can setup the price by yourself, the system gives you only a suggestion.
for questions please pm or reply.

cheers
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

It sounds like a total scam to me. Send me money and I'll send you less money back in the mail. Who is Daniela Noisternigg? I would assume that any service like this could only success if it had a lot of trust, and for a site of that kind to basically have no raving reviews about them. Also, a site's age hardly means anything, especially with a wack domain name like that. Was probably registered a year ago, whoever had it decided to sell it for next to nothing, and a new person bought it to make their website look like it wasn't set up last night in Lagos. So yeah, seems like a total scam, and I doubt even PayPal would reimburse you when they find out that you want a refund for MONEY that you bought, LoL.

Sounds about as sketchy as those unknown sites that offer to take your BitCoin and 'randomize' it for you, switching it out with other people who also want to randomize their BitCoins, and you all send them bitcoin and are supposed to get some back, but nobody every sends you any back.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
ceoceo
Tourist
Austria

Post by ceoceo »

I think you got it wrong ... not Daniela Noisternigg buys the money... it's a marketplace like thousands others.
You sell a good, any other buy's it from you. - thats it - no more, no less.
Paypal is only for the buyer to pay the seller, the maximum u can sell is a value of 100 usd.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

No idea if this is legit or not, but if you have a currency that is not exchangeable elsewhere, what have you got to lose ? If you have 800,000 Laos kip, to take that example, thats worth zero almost everywhere, but it may be worth $80 to someone who is looking for kip.The exchange rate is about 8,300 kip for US$1, so its worth about $96.50.
That way you get some money for your nonexchangeable kip and the purchaser gets kip at a cheaper rate.
I dunno but it seems good to me as long as you are dealing in "useless" currencies. You can always hang on until you get a good offer, and the limit is $100, so small potatoes.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

ceoceo wrote:I think you got it wrong ... not Daniela Noisternigg buys the money... it's a marketplace like thousands others.
You sell a good, any other buy's it from you. - thats it - no more, no less.
Paypal is only for the buyer to pay the seller, the maximum u can sell is a value of 100 usd.
I understand how it works.

Maybe I'm too critical, but how will you get the trust of the public?

To be honest, between sending money to another random person first or sending it to a webmaster first, I'd feel safer sending it to a webmaster. You have no control of either party yourself, so if you don't know them or trust them, how can my trust be gained, but them or your platform?

It can be sketchy enough shopping online though Amazon, even with all of their guarantees, but sending money to complete strangers first in hopes that they will send me some back some money too seems higher risk than taking a slapper home from Pontoon and hope I don't wake up drugged with her breaking down my front door to sneak out with all my stuff.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
ceoceo
Tourist
Austria

Post by ceoceo »

You pay eg 30 USD for 1250 THB (40USD).
You live in Cambodia, and only ship to Cambodia.
What else would be if you would send to eg Kenya.
This is like any classified ad exchange - I do not think that eg craigslist sends every article to craigslist first, and then to the user.
At jojmoney, the amounts are too small to try fraud.
The confidence must come from the fact that the purchases and sales work well, and media like cambodiaexpatsonline report positively (and before writing negative, look at the whole thing before :) :) )
The times where you order a VCR, and then receives bricks are thank God over
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

Seems like most sensible people would stop by a bank, currency exchange booth or gold shop and change most it just before leaving the country.

Keep a bit for whatever you need on the way out.

Anything left over makes a nice souvenir.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic