Armed Thugs Drug & Rob Australian Tourist in Phnom Penh; Victim Puts Photos of Thieves on Reddit

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Re: Armed Thugs Drug & Rob Australian Tourist in Phnom Penh; Victim Puts Photos of Thieves on Reddit

Post by General Mackevili »

The latest update from the robbery victim on Reddit:

"Nah didn't ruin my trip and I met some great people, one person in particular...

Haven't tried calling that number (good catch) I'm trying not to get more involved if I have to. I didn't report to the police as I had no photos at that stage and my memory was wiped after the drink so there wouldn't be anything they could do. Unfortunately I didn't have GPS tracking so yeah.

I agree most locals are honest decent people and I still had a great time.

I don't recommend Phnom Penh for tourists as there's not a lot to do there. You could cover the genocide museum and Wat Phnom in 3 days. Clubs if you're into them, a few markets. Good for a short stay, just be careful.

I've recovered from the losses (the photos were the main thing I cared about) I just want to raise awareness before these guys ruin anyone else's day. Eventually carrying on like that will get them killed or arrested but I just don't want anyone else to be harmed by those with no consious."
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Re: Armed Thugs Drug & Rob Australian Tourist in Phnom Penh; Victim Puts Photos of Thieves on Reddit

Post by General Mackevili »

And another reply:

"Thanks for putting that story up there and no I personally didn't hear any gunfire, but even shots fired occasionally is alarming and unnecessary. Police have radios and phones for backup, no need to fire bullets and endanger lives.

They also picked me up from Riverside to take me to some bar or club, offered a drink along the way, very stupid of me to accept but I trust too easily. Just keep your wits about you and this sort of thing can be avoided."
"
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

General Mackevili wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:52 am And another reply:

but even shots fired occasionally is alarming and unnecessary. Police have radios and phones for backup, no need to fire bullets and endanger lives.
Obviously hasn't spent any time in the USA! :plus1:
superferret
Expatriate
Albania

Post by superferret »

The cops could probably quickly find these guys based on the photo with the buildings in the background it's obviously PP outskirts and the phone number. But saying "if you recognize them, report them" is just stupid.
JimmySlippery
Tourist
Australia

Post by JimmySlippery »

Slippin' Jimmy here.

I very much appreciate what you're doing here but I'm not sure the photos will help in bringing them to justice. I could have waited and collected more data on them, but if they had the brains they could do the same to me.

So I changed my password. It was only my spare gmail account which is why I negleted it until I saw what was being uploaded.

Not sure how the system works there but they could raid the place for unlawful weapons and most likely find a bunch of evidence to put them in jail.

Can't emphasise enough for you guys to stay away from them if you value your life. I'm guessing reporting something is like throwing a letter into a mailbox which is never collected.

However if the police received all the photos they could start an investigation and hopefully raid them. They have at least 10 photos of $900 in $100 bills if that helps the case.

Also, sorry I tried to link some photos here but I'm not a big forum user so... The links are in there. Mostly inside a house, the creepy white dude again and money.

Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

the images are broken, you might want to try again mate
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

first images look fine to me. last 3 u just posted are nada
The police wont do anything, there's no $$ in it for them and fuck,with the bad guys having guns, it might turn nasty, cant do that on $200/month...
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

superferret wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:50 pm The cops could probably quickly find these guys based on the photo with the buildings in the background it's obviously PP outskirts.
It's reclaimed land at the old Boeung Kak lake, that's the PM's office and Council of Minister's building in the background.
phuketrichard wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:06 am
The police wont do anything, there's no $$ in it for them and fuck,with the bad guys having guns, it might turn nasty, cant do that on $200/month...
Those are just BS air rifles or something. They wouldn't stand a chance against a bunch of Flying Tigers or Gendarmes.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
JimmySlippery
Tourist
Australia

Post by JimmySlippery »

Honestly I think nothing will come of this, they'll probably fuck a few more people up, get caught eventually and end of story. The least I can do is display their photos and my story as a warning to others about this particular group. Good luck and stay safe.
batshitcrazyweirdo
Expatriate
Trinidad & Tobago

Post by batshitcrazyweirdo »

JimmySlippery wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:24 am Honestly I think nothing will come of this, they'll probably fuck a few more people up, get caught eventually and end of story. The least I can do is display their photos and my story as a warning to others about this particular group. Good luck and stay safe.
I, I, Jimmy. You don't look so slippery now.

I'd say ... go get them yourself. I would. You seem to want everyone else to do it.

Course, you could pay someone. That would give you redemption.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic