American STEPHEN RUSSELL GOURLEY Commits Suicide by Jumping from Condo in Phnom Penh

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
SangieC
Tourist
Cambodia

Re: American STEPHEN RUSSELL GOURLEY Commits Suicide by Jumping from Condo in Phnom Penh

Post by SangieC »

I'm sure there isn't, but in the same way that 'snuffed it' in reference to someone dying probably wouldn't be in there; that again would be a very insensitive way of referring to someone near and dear to you who has died.. trust me, as a native English speaker from the UK, it won't be language that friends and family of Steve will be using to refer to his death (if indeed it wasn't an accident...).
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Re: American Stephen Russell Gourley, 51, Tops Himself

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Cam Nivag wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:21 pm
Jamie_Lambo wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:49 pm
theres nothing disrespectful about it
Real English people disagree.

I'm real English and i gave you the origin of the phrase...
you quote me "Real English" people from some unknown forum who use phrases like "i think ive heard it transitively..."

Brilliant mate, good work
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Re: American STEPHEN RUSSELL GOURLEY Commits Suicide by Jumping from Condo in Phnom Penh

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

SangieC wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:45 pm I'm sure there isn't, but in the same way that 'snuffed it' in reference to someone dying probably wouldn't be in there; that again would be a very insensitive way of referring to someone near and dear to you who has died.. trust me, as a native English speaker from the UK, it won't be language that friends and family of Steve will be using to refer to his death (if indeed it wasn't an accident...).
prahocalypse now wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:34 pm Is there a British dictionary that lists the term as offensive?

British dictionaries normally indicate when a word or phrase is offensive. For example, the Cambridge Dictionary lists cocktease, wog, and blow job as offensive. It doesn't say that the verb 'top' is offensive.
prahocalypse now
Expatriate
India

Post by prahocalypse now »

SangieC wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:45 pm I'm sure there isn't, but in the same way that 'snuffed it' in reference to someone dying probably wouldn't be in there; that again would be a very insensitive way of referring to someone near and dear to you who has died.. trust me, as a native English speaker from the UK, it won't be language that friends and family of Steve will be using to refer to his death (if indeed it wasn't an accident...).
As a native speaker from the UK, you are probably aware that the term "topped himself" was good enough for your former Home Secretary David Blunkett to use when he spoke to the press following the suicide of Dr Harold Shipman. He said, "You wake up and you receive a phone call - Shipman's topped himself.”
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

but of coarse respect where its needed im not complaining just pointing out some truths about the phrase,
if people dont like it then thats fine, i wasnt the one that wrote it, just saying its just normal talk
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

I'm a British English speaker, it's more a term used by northerners. The hand-wringers are likely southerners. Surely "dead from a balcony fall" would be better, what with him being a god-botherer and the big man upstairs doesn't let you in if you off yourself.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Whatever about the semantics, the guy is dead. I'd be more interested in knowing what led him to this end rather than nonsense arguments.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

cptrelentless wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:05 pm I'm a British English speaker, it's more a term used by northerners. The hand-wringers are likely southerners. Surely "dead from a balcony fall" would be better, what with him being a god-botherer and the big man upstairs doesn't let you in if you off yourself.
probably aye, "popped his clogs" is also a common northern phrase
finbar
Expatriate
New Caledonia

Post by finbar »

RIP.
Regardless of etymology, it's slang.
Would we hear "Dearly beloved, we're gathered here today because Stephen topped 'imself".
I don't think so. Even oop noarth.
More to the point, are we sure it's even suicide? I think the title should just say "died from a 12-storey fall" or whatever if not.
-
Per ardua, ad stercus
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Re: American Stephen Russell Gourley, 51, Tops Himself

Post by Kuroneko »

Cam Nivag wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:23 pm
Perhaps if he had gone home to a country with proper medical care, he or his family would have been advised that a person with balance problems and confusion and mood swings from a brain injury shouldn't be living in an apartment on the 12th floor with a low balcony railing.
In my experience here in Phnom Penh the balcony railings in condos aren't particularly low. My balcony rail is 112cm (44 inches) high for example. You would have to be very tall to accidentally fall over that.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic