American STEPHEN RUSSELL GOURLEY Commits Suicide by Jumping from Condo in Phnom Penh

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
thePeck
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: American Stephen Russell Gourley, 51, Tops Himself

Post by thePeck »

Cam Nivag wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:29 pm
thePeck wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:13 pm This is really sad, not the usual deaths that happen here to expats/tourists. Seems like he was very involved in the country and cared about the people here. My only thought is with a recent head/brain trauma it can really affect your mood, but he seemed very upbeat in his post.

RIP
He spent almost two months in the hospital in Bangkok. It must have been very serious. Here's what his church posted in October:

The part about balance and confusion could have been a major impact. Those balcony railings are never that high and a slip or other quick movement I could see taking a tumble over the railing. I never liked it when I stayed up high. It only ever came up to about crotch high, maybe a little more.

timmydownawell wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:47 pm
Cam Nivag wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:42 pm Maybe "tops himself" isn't the best title.
Yes, I wish people would stop using this term as it is very disrespectful. People taking their own life is nothing to make light of. Ever.
That's brit slang for you, not so much in american slang. But I don't think it was a suicide, seems an unfortunate event due to his brain injury.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Re: American STEPHEN RUSSELL GOURLEY Commits Suicide by Jumping from Condo in Phnom Penh

Post by General Mackevili »

Very sad, RIP.

I have moved graphic links and images to the Darknet Cambodia News forum.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Post by Cam Nivag »

thePeck wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:08 pm
The part about balance and confusion could have been a major impact. Those balcony railings are never that high and a slip or other quick movement I could see taking a tumble over the railing. I never liked it when I stayed up high. It only ever came up to about crotch high, maybe a little more.

Perhaps if he had gone home to a country with proper medical care, he or his family would have been advised that a person with balance problems and confusion and mood swings from a brain injury shouldn't be living in an apartment on the 12th floor with a low balcony railing.
SangieC
Tourist
Cambodia

Re: American STEPHEN RUSSELL GOURLEY Commits Suicide by Jumping from Condo in Phnom Penh

Post by SangieC »

Hi, I just wanted to say that I knew Steve.. he had been in Cambodia for over 20 years and had a very wide circle of friends who were very close to him.. As you know, Steve suffered a massive trauma to the brain last year and was in hospital in Bangkok for nearly 2 months before being discharged back to a big support network in Phnom Penh.. Steve was a well know child and human rights campaigner and was closely involved with the Christian community here; so he was well loved and admired and received a lot of love and care on his return.. Thanks to the admin for changing the title of the post as people are still just learning about his tragic end and it's not entirely clear if he fell or jumped.. so any sensitivity about that would be very much appreciated.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

SangieC wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:08 pm Hi, I just wanted to say that I knew Steve.. he had been in Cambodia for over 20 years and had a very wide circle of friends who were very close to him.. As you know, Steve suffered a massive trauma to the brain last year and was in hospital in Bangkok for nearly 2 months before being discharged back to a big support network in Phnom Penh.. Steve was a well know child and human rights campaigner and was closely involved with the Christian community here; so he was well loved and admired and received a lot of love and care on his return.. Thanks to the admin for changing the title of the post as people are still just learning about his tragic end and it's not entirely clear if he fell or jumped.. so any sensitivity about that would be very much appreciated.
thanks for your contribution, sad news indeed
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

prahocalypse now wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:57 pm
Cam Nivag wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:42 pm Maybe "tops himself" isn't the best title.
Yes, I wish people would stop using this term as it is very disrespectful.
The term is informal, not offensive.
thePeck wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:08 pm
Yes, I wish people would stop using this term as it is very disrespectful. People taking their own life is nothing to make light of. Ever.
That's brit slang for you, not so much in american slang. But I don't think it was a suicide, seems an unfortunate event due to his brain injury.
markd wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:05 pm i worked in a british staffed organisation & ive heard 'top ...' used by brits talking amonst themselves & i didnt get the impression it was derogatory even though i was surprised.
for all the people talking about the term "Tops Himself" obviously dont know the history of the word
it originates from the old term for an Executioner/Hangman, they used to be called a Topsman,
so when someone kills them self, people would say he "Topped themself"
theres nothing disrespectful about it
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Post by Cam Nivag »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:49 pm
theres nothing disrespectful about it
Real English people disagree.

SangieC
Tourist
Cambodia

Post by SangieC »

That's right.. and that's why I thanked the admin for changing the title (even though it now still exists via google search)... it's not a sensitive word and for family and friends, it will feel like a bit of a kick in the gut (it's certainly the reaction I had when I saw it..).
prahocalypse now
Expatriate
India

Post by prahocalypse now »

Is there a British dictionary that lists the term as offensive?

British dictionaries normally indicate when a word or phrase is offensive. For example, the Cambridge Dictionary lists cocktease, wog, and blow job as offensive. It doesn't say that the verb 'top' is offensive.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

I don't speak the English ENGLISH, but in American English "tops themselves" would definitely be considered on the tasteless side of ways to say it. IMHO
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic