American STEPHEN RUSSELL GOURLEY Commits Suicide by Jumping from Condo in Phnom Penh

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Re: American Stephen Russell Gourley, 51, Tops Himself

Post by Cam Nivag »

thePeck wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:13 pm This is really sad, not the usual deaths that happen here to expats/tourists. Seems like he was very involved in the country and cared about the people here. My only thought is with a recent head/brain trauma it can really affect your mood, but he seemed very upbeat in his post.

RIP
He spent almost two months in the hospital in Bangkok. It must have been very serious. Here's what his church posted in October:

tarariverboat
Expatriate
Australia

Post by tarariverboat »

RIP,very sad indeed.
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Post by Cam Nivag »

Maybe "tops himself" isn't the best title.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

Agreed that is incredibly sad.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

Cam Nivag wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:42 pm Maybe "tops himself" isn't the best title.
Yes, I wish people would stop using this term as it is very disrespectful. People taking their own life is nothing to make light of. Ever.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
prahocalypse now
Expatriate
India

Post by prahocalypse now »

timmydownawell wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:47 pm
Cam Nivag wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:42 pm Maybe "tops himself" isn't the best title.
Yes, I wish people would stop using this term as it is very disrespectful.
The term is informal, not offensive.
markd
Expatriate
Zimbabwe

Post by markd »

maybe the conspiracy mentioned earlier wasnt finished with the moto accident. so soon after getting out of hospital.

the insurance company was very very generous covering 49 days in a bkk hospital.
thru shit to more shit
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Post by Cam Nivag »

prahocalypse now wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:57 pm
The term is informal, not offensive.
I think it's contradictory for this site to go through all the trouble it does to hide links and photos in case family members see a death thread, but then use a flippant term like "tops himself" right in the fucking title.
Cambo Dear
Expatriate
Libya

Post by Cambo Dear »

If his balance was affected and he was easily confused could it have been a tragic accident? Pure speculation, but maybe easier for friends and family to swallow than suicide. RIP, very sad indeed.
markd
Expatriate
Zimbabwe

Re: American STEPHEN RUSSELL GOURLEY Commits Suicide by Jumping from Condo in Phnom Penh

Post by markd »

i worked in a british staffed organisation & ive heard 'top ...' used by brits talking amonst themselves & i didnt get the impression it was derogatory even though i was surprised.
thru shit to more shit
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic