Sihanoukville

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
best-case scenario
Tourist
United States of America

Sihanoukville

Post by best-case scenario »

I've been reading hotel reviews for Sihanoukville on Agoda, and the reviewers have all remarked that the beach is a slimy mess of garbage and that the Chinese have taken over. Is it even worth visiting?
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Sihanoukville

Post by frank lee bent »

otres is still ok, i think
MrKikilu
Expatriate
Somalia

Post by MrKikilu »

No
markd
Expatriate
Zimbabwe

Post by markd »

its still on the mongas trail
thru shit to more shit
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

It's a bit of a building site... The public beach (Otres 1 1/2) is ok. PPenhers have stopped coming so it's not terrible on a Saturday if you get there early enough for a tree. Otres 2 is a building site, too, but there are some more higher class hotels with nice beaches. The Honkeys seem to have mostly decamped to Otres village. Or there's the islands, just mind the buffalo.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

if you intended going there for the "night life" i believe victory hill maintains the status quo of bygone years.
if this is your predilection best go Patts.
if beaches are your thing go to koh chang maybe or vung tau.

if none of the above- still plenty to do exploring the provinces.
i really liked stung treng.
Cruisemonkey
Expatriate
Vietnam

Post by Cruisemonkey »

cptrelentless wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:38 pm It's a bit of a building site... The public beach (Otres 1 1/2) is ok. PPenhers have stopped coming so it's not terrible on a Saturday if you get there early enough for a tree. Otres 2 is a building site, too, but there are some more higher class hotels with nice beaches. The Honkeys seem to have mostly decamped to Otres village. Or there's the islands, just mind the buffalo.
Translation -
It's a shit hole.
:hattip:
You could be next.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

best-case scenario wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:57 am I've been reading hotel reviews for Sihanoukville on Agoda, and the reviewers have all remarked that the beach is a slimy mess of garbage and that the Chinese have taken over. Is it even worth visiting?
the main beach has been flattened, well the beach is still there but no bars/restaurants,
all the other beaches are ok, but most of the place is a big building site atm
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Kentish Man
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Kentish Man »

best-case scenario wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:57 am I've been reading hotel reviews for Sihanoukville on Agoda, and the reviewers have all remarked that the beach is a slimy mess of garbage and that the Chinese have taken over. Is it even worth visiting?
No its not worth visiting Sihanoukville anymore.
1. Ochheuteal beach - Most of the expats bars have been knocked down and no one is looking after the beach. It is covered in rubbish etc.
2. Independence Beach - There are a handful of beach bars left but there are huge Chinese sky-scrappers being built next door.
3. Otres and Otres 2 - There are some nice bars left but there is lots of building work everywhere.
4. Victory Hill - There are only about 5 western bars left. Everything else is Chinese owned amd not very welcoming to westerners.

On top of that:
1. The road to Otres etc. is a building site & the dust is horrendous
one_dolla
Expatriate

Post by one_dolla »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:54 am
the main beach has been flattened, well the beach is still there but no bars/restaurants,
all the other beaches are ok, but most of the place is a big building site atm
Not ALL of the beach flattened it is possible to find clean serviceable places to have a sunset bar and although I have not yet been to the New "in my dreams" next to the old Gov. building a tourist friend who is in town says its fine for an afternoon at the beach - and 1/2 full last week, they are heading home this week, of British tourists.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic