British Tourist FIONA CHILDS Attacked by Water Buffalo on Koh Rong Island

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
prahocalypse now
Expatriate
India

Re: British Tourist FIONA CHILDS Attacked by Water Buffalo on Koh Rong Island

Post by prahocalypse now »

British woman injured by wild buffalo
Pav Suy / Khmer Times Share:

A British tourist suffered serious injuries to her legs on Tuesday when she was attacked by a wild buffalo while walking through a forest to get to a beach on an island off Cambodia’s coast.

Police said the British woman was attacked on Tuesday while on her way to visit a beach on Rong Sanloem Island in Preah Sihanouk’s Koh Rong Sanloem commune.

Nop Panha, the Preah Sihanouk provincial deputy police chief, said a military force was on standby on the island.

“We cooperated with the military force stationed on Koh Rong to search for the buffalo, which was hiding in the forest. The victim was a British woman. She was seriously injured and was sent to the Preah Sihanouk town hospital,” he said.

According to her passport details posted on a local media website, the victim was Fiona Childs, 47, a British citizen.

Pol Phosda, the chief of Sihanoukville police, said the buffalo was found in the evening and the owner agreed to cover the medical expenses of the victim.

“The military force found and caught the buffalo. It’s hard to punish the owner of the buffalo because it was unintentional and out of his control. Now he has undertaken the responsibility of paying for the medical expenses of the victim and he is willing to let the military kill the buffalo if need be,” he said.
http://www.khmertimeskh.com/50109547/br ... d-buffalo/
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

prahocalypse now wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:41 pm
“The military force found and caught the buffalo. It’s hard to punish the owner of the buffalo because it was unintentional and out of his control. Now he has undertaken the responsibility of paying for the medical expenses of the victim and he is willing to let the military kill the buffalo if need be,” he said.

That should go down well with a few cases of ABC.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
username
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by username »

Cambo Dear wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:23 pm That surprises me as I had always been led to believe that, despite their size, water buffaloes are very placid - at least that's what the missus has always said. I wonder what made it go off at her?
My gf is the other way around. She's grown up herding cows and she's very comfortable among them, but she's very scared of water buffaloes. She's also very scared of caterpillars, so being scared of water buffaloes doesn't necessarily have to mean anything...
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

Signs of mental illness already noticed by fellow expats on Koh Rong. It seems the attacker was a lone wolf. I mean lone buffalo. Taken from CEO's Facebook page:

"It's been more than 2 weeks hanging between saracen bay and the few jungle paths to the other beaches, there's pictures of it being on saracen bay, tourists find it funny, locals were scared (lonely old male).
About 2 weeks that the cops and military know about it... just waiting for a good reason to kill it (already charged some staff 10 days ago).
Could have been avoided, but better wait and see ... kow"
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

That's a good story for the pub back home. If I was a Cambodian water buffalo I wouldn't fancy my chances against most of the chunky chavs visiting these parts nowadays.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
jaynewcastle
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by jaynewcastle »

From previous comments, the buffalo wasn't actually on Koh Rong then ?, unless it swam between the islands ?

Saracen bay is on Koh Rong Samloem
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Water buffalo can be unpredictable. And when they go loco, they are dangerous.
This thread was about an unprovoked attack on a 10 year old girl:
topic10641.html
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Agreed, I have a lot of respect for cows, buffaloes, and anything else that weighs a few hundred kilos and has to pointy things sticking out of its head.

Was she trying to ride it naked?
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

hanno wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:45 am Agreed, I have a lot of respect for cows, buffaloes, and anything else that weighs a few hundred kilos and has to pointy things sticking out of its head.

Its massive size is controlled by a brain, if not the size of a walnut, possesses a similar IQ.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
prahocalypse now
Expatriate
India

Post by prahocalypse now »

I think this is her:
Fiona Childs left the UK in 2004 and has made Asia her home ever since; she has lived in the Maldives, Cambodia, Bali and Singapore. Through her work as a community artist, primary school teacher and teacher trainer she has been a keen advocate for environmental education. Taking up scuba diving led to a passion for marine conservation, which includes the building of new coral reef structures. As a project manager for Shark Savers Singapore, she helped to raise awareness through presentations, public events and art projects, including the design and construction of a 9-metre whale shark.
https://gaiadiscovery-2.squarespace.com ... o-writers/

This is one of her articles on sharks: https://www.gaiadiscovery.com/marine-li ... -soon.html
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic