Business Partner Wanted

If you are looking for a business to buy in Cambodia, you've come to the right place! This is a section where owners can post their businesses for sale and where others in the community can ask questions about starting a business here. Foreigners can own 100% of a business here in Cambodia, and it's a pretty simple process to buy or sell, whether it's a bar, restaurant, hotel, or anything else. Have questions about what paperwork is needed for your company? Ask away. Curious if the expat bar on Street 136 selling for $100,000 is a good deal? Start a discussion on CEO and we'll let you know what we think.
(┛◉Д◉)┛
Expatriate
Barbados

Re: Business Partner Wanted

Post by (┛◉Д◉)┛ »

aj21 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:06 pm
I don't care about any of that, if I wanted an easy and comfortable life I would just go home, get my old job back and collect a six figure salary.
going forward that looks like your best option, live the dream after you retire and have foreign income, just come for holidays till then
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

personally, no way i'd invest $100,000 in Cambodia now

at least wait till after elections and see what changes are coming...Might be able to pick up some good deals , ( although i still think the lower end for accommodations is to crowded)
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

frank lee bent wrote:speaking generally and not directed at any particular poster: please do not troll the OP
^this.
For what it's worth, my suggestion is you look at the thread on bitcoin.
It seems there are more ways than one in which to invest one's hard earened.

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

(┛◉Д◉)┛
Expatriate
Barbados

Post by (┛◉Д◉)┛ »

phuketrichard wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:02 pm personally, no way i'd invest $100,000 in Cambodia now

at least wait till after elections and see what changes are coming...Might be able to pick up some good deals , ( although i still think the lower end for accommodations is to crowded)
changes? you expecting a large meteor from mars to strike?Image
aj21
Tourist

Post by aj21 »

Kammekor wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:18 am
aj21 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:26 am <cut>
For those who might be interested in a private discussion please ignore pczz. He has no knowledge of any of the opportunities I'm currently pursuing, not to mention too much time on his hands! This is a genuine opportunity for someone to make a go of it in Phnom Penh and live the dream. I accept that it might not be for everyone, I even accept that I might not find a suitable partner. That's OK, but I am willing to have productive conversations with anyone who has an interest in what I'm trying to achieve.

Thanks all.
AJ, you have made two business ideas clear to everyone able to read, rent a guesthouse or start a motor/scooter rental place, so stating someone has no idea of the opportunities you are thinking about is a bit strange - unless there has been a major shift in the guesthouse or scooter rental business lately.

I believe Phnom Penh is lacking a reliable scooter rental business, but I also think it will be a hell of a job to squeeze a (small) profit out of that - probably not enough to 'live the life!!', whatever that is.

A scooter typically rents for 5 USD a day, maybe for a nice one you can crank it up to 6 USD. If you have 30 pieces (let's say a 25k USD investment) and you rent them all out each and every day (how realistic is that, but dare to dream!) your revenue (not profit, just revenue), will be 150-180 USD a day, that's 4.500-5.400 USD per month if your business really rocks.
For that you have to maintain the bikes, repair the bikes after the occasional accident or crash, occasionally replace a bike, deal with loads of government offices (all wanting a piece of the pie), deal with renters crashing into a 'bong thom's car' (and probably deal with the 'bong thom' too), rent a place to keep your bikes and have your office, etc etc.
Do your math. Calculate what 'living the life' costs, and what the actual profit of your business (after tax, expenses and tea money) will be.

Invest more, buy 60 bikes! And do the math again. I believe, under current conditions, it's simply not worth the effort. So I won't PM you.
I have experience with businesses, I even have one and I live of the profits of it, but there's not one single moment I am tempted to start a business here. So be careful what you get into.

Hi there,

Thanks for your constructive feedback.

With respect to pczz's comments, its not the general idea (guesthouse) that he has no idea about. Rather the details of a specific opportunity: rent, rent increases, lease terms etc. Anyone can say your rent is going to be one million dollars therefore you cant make money - but if that doesn't stand up to the reality of the situation then its just hot air isn't it. An interested party would likely ask how much the rent is and what the rental increases would be - not that I think pczz is interested in any way.

I wanted to touch on the moto-rental business because you made some really good points that I think a potential business partner might be interested in:

Firstly, I agree that a moto-rental company would have to operate at high sales volumes and seek to reduce costs where possible to be a viable stand alone business that produces a suitable profit. Agreee whole hartedly! But that isn't really the way I am looking at it at this stage. I see this intially as a complimentary service that I can essentially attach to the guesthouse. I think that rentals from the guesthouse combined with other rentals from a niche market segment I have access to (willing to discuss with serious investors) will generate approximately 4-8 moto rentals every day/ week/ month.

The beauty with the moto rental is that it is easily scalable simply by buying or selling bikes to match demand forcasts.

I intend to start small with this venture, say 5-10 bikes or so. In the intial period crictical success factors will be a) providing an excellent customer experience and building the companies reputation and brand, b) development of a solid website and strong web presence, and c) development of local business relationtionships, i.e. hotels, guesthouses, travel agencies etc. if we can get this right I cant see any reason why the business capacity couldn't reach 30+ bikes with an average utilization rate around 80%.

I dont want to go into too much detail on these ascpects here, but I have some really good ideas that I would be willing to go over in a more private setting with someone who is actually interested.

Although cost saving will be an important factor in this business I dont think that the costs involved will come close to what you think they will. Yes, there will always be bike maintenance to consider. But, I think rent, crash repairs, theft replacements etc. will be almost negligible.

Rent: I wouldn't rent a shop house but essentially operate out of the guesthouse. If I had capacity issues I could always utilize 24 hours parking garages for 1000r a day. If I have significant issues I might be able to rent some garage space somewhere. Intially I thought of operating this business with no home base and just providing a delivery service. But I've recognised that trust in the moto-rental industry is low and people will want to know where to find you.

Crashes & Theft: Yes... this is going to be a massive hassle. It will probably regularly ruin my day. But it will rarely cost me anything. I've been doing some thinking about this recently and in my opinion exisiting operators see these issues as profit generating. Effectively clients must leave a large deposit or thier passport with the moto-rental company. If you rent a bike and it gets stolen you have to pay for it to get your passport back. It seems to be aparent to me that many operators charge well over market rates in these circumstances. I wouldn't want to generate income in the same way but aim to strike a balance, i.e. cover the cost of the bike and the labour costs involved in managing these situations.

So in terms of costs that leaves you with maintenance. As a small comapny I will probably have to outsource this but as the business grows I would like to hire a local mechanic on a FT basis. And of course ongoing marketing etc etc.

I have written a draft fianncial plan for this venture, I see it as profitable and worthwhile. I would be happy to present that to someone who is actually interested and we can have a discussion about that.

Again.... thanks for your feedback, appreciated.
aj21
Tourist

Post by aj21 »

Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:40 pm Same AJ?
NO
aj21
Tourist

Post by aj21 »

kiwiincambodia wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:41 pm
aj21 wrote:
kiwiincambodia wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:21 am Can any perspective partner expect you to be posting online all night so they have to do all the work during the day while you sleep?
Yes, I am not the 9-5 guy. Never have been. I am prepared to work as hard as I possibly can at any hour of the day in order to be successful. That might involve some late nights and could mean that my partner has to work alone while I sleep. Anyone reasonable business partner would not only accept that but embrace it.

Thanks for your comments.
Is this supposed to be a 50/50 partnership?

Sounds like you’re looking for someone to do all the work while you spend the profits and “live the dream”

What if I invest in your business and go out drinking all night to celebrate a job well done? Will you work by yourself while I sleep off my hangover? Or is only the partner expected to work alone?
All this nonsense from a fellow countryman... #sigh.

I can only draw one of two conclusions from your posts so far:

1) You are a troll

2) You lack the basic comprehension skills required to engage in conversation.

Let me quote what is already stated in order to answer your question.

You: "Is this supposed to be a 50/50 partnership? Sounds like you’re looking for someone to do all the work while you spend the profits and “live the dream”

Me: "I am prepared to work as hard as I possibly can at any hour of the day in order to be successful".

You finish with "if I invest in your business...". The short answer is no, you cant. I required a business partner with comprehension and critical thinking skills.

Thank you, have a good day.
aj21
Tourist

Post by aj21 »

(┛◉Д◉)┛ wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:39 pm
aj21 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:06 pm
I don't care about any of that, if I wanted an easy and comfortable life I would just go home, get my old job back and collect a six figure salary.
going forward that looks like your best option, live the dream after you retire and have foreign income, just come for holidays till then
These people... you know nothing about me man, nothing of my financial or personal circumstances, no clue at all. You also have no interest in my business proposal either aparently. So it begs the question: who are you and what gives you the right to assess what is best for my life?

I make my own choices... I live with the consequences. Thanks.
aj21
Tourist

Post by aj21 »

Barang chgout wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:17 pm
frank lee bent wrote:speaking generally and not directed at any particular poster: please do not troll the OP
^this.
For what it's worth, my suggestion is you look at the thread on bitcoin.
It seems there are more ways than one in which to invest one's hard earened.

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk
Yeah... bitcoin... its gonna go up forever. Oh wait, its February 18 not December 17.
kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by kiwiincambodia »

aj21 wrote: You finish with "if I invest in your business...". The short answer is no, you cant. I required a business partner with comprehension and critical thinking skills.

Thank you, have a good day.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic