Business Partner Wanted

If you are looking for a business to buy in Cambodia, you've come to the right place! This is a section where owners can post their businesses for sale and where others in the community can ask questions about starting a business here. Foreigners can own 100% of a business here in Cambodia, and it's a pretty simple process to buy or sell, whether it's a bar, restaurant, hotel, or anything else. Have questions about what paperwork is needed for your company? Ask away. Curious if the expat bar on Street 136 selling for $100,000 is a good deal? Start a discussion on CEO and we'll let you know what we think.
aj21
Tourist

Re: Business Partner Wanted

Post by aj21 »

soup wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:29 am Most bar/hotel owners struggle under a load of market saturation and regret their investment choices.

In the 7 months that I have lived here, I have met many business owners, 'living the dream'....just by sitting down in a bar and chatting with people. I'm going to suggest you do the same.
This way, we forum readers don't have to wade through the futility of your posts and responses to posts.

There are opportunities out there, and I could tell you where that opportunity is, but I'm not going to violate anyone's privacy to do so.

Personally, and don't take this personally, you don't sound like you would be an enjoyable business partner, and that would only lead to problems.

Best of luck. :hattip:
Hi there,

Thanks for your feedback. Just for the record you don't have to read this thread, you do so by your own free will. If you are not interested simply don't read it.
aj21
Tourist

Post by aj21 »

kiwiincambodia wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:21 am Can any perspective partner expect you to be posting online all night so they have to do all the work during the day while you sleep?
Yes, I am not the 9-5 guy. Never have been. I am prepared to work as hard as I possibly can at any hour of the day in order to be successful. That might involve some late nights and could mean that my partner has to work alone while I sleep. Anyone reasonable business partner would not only accept that but embrace it.

Thanks for your comments.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

Same AJ?
kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by kiwiincambodia »

aj21 wrote:
kiwiincambodia wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:21 am Can any perspective partner expect you to be posting online all night so they have to do all the work during the day while you sleep?
Yes, I am not the 9-5 guy. Never have been. I am prepared to work as hard as I possibly can at any hour of the day in order to be successful. That might involve some late nights and could mean that my partner has to work alone while I sleep. Anyone reasonable business partner would not only accept that but embrace it.

Thanks for your comments.
Is this supposed to be a 50/50 partnership?

Sounds like you’re looking for someone to do all the work while you spend the profits and “live the dream”

What if I invest in your business and go out drinking all night to celebrate a job well done? Will you work by yourself while I sleep off my hangover? Or is only the partner expected to work alone?
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Moto rental is a nice residual income for somebody who has a brother in law that needs a job and is not totally corrupt.

But most rent for $50 per month, rather than $5 a day on daily rate, so you need way too many bikes for it to become worthwhile.

If you have 30k, you should invest in assets and commodities for a return of 10-25% P.A, and go teach English in your spate time.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

bangkokhooker wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:38 am May I ask pczz was your role was/is in setting up these businesses?
I was a consultant working for a company engaged by the people concerned to do feasibility studies, business plans , source material and land, arrange customs clearance for imports, export documentation for agricultural produce, company creation and so on. This is the question I was expecting the OP to ask
Last edited by pczz on Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bangkokhooker
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by bangkokhooker »

pczz wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:54 pm
bangkokhooker wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:38 am May I ask pczz was your role was/is in setting up these businesses?
I was a consultant working for a company engaged by the people concerned to do feasibility studies, businessplans , source material and land, arrange customs clearance for imports, export documentation for agricultural produce, company creation and so on.
Sounds well good.

How are The businesses doing now, especially the 500k one?
simon43
Expatriate
Laos

Post by simon43 »

Just for the record you don't have to read this thread, you do so by your own free will. If you are not interested simply don't read it.
I'm interested to read it, because you sound like a textbook example of the type of business partner one wouldn't wish on one's worst enemy :)
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

speaking generally and not directed at any particular poster: please do not troll the OP
aj21
Tourist

Post by aj21 »

pczz wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:07 am
aj21 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:26 am
pczz wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:56 am
aj21 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:29 am
pczz wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:25 am Double your budget for anywhere in a good lication and add 100% for company formation and tea m9bey for anything to do with tourism. Cambidian rents are insane
555 yeah ok. Are you interested in partnering, if so I would be ghappy to discuss specifics with you via pm. Thanks.
https://www.businessesforsale.com/searc ... n-cambodia
You said 30k to 50k each. That is only 100k. Successful bars go for 60k up. Guest houses and small hotels are more. And refurbing even 20 rooms is going to cost between $1000 and $2000 a room. Leases are generally no more than 3 years snd rents rise up to 25% a year. Last decent sized guesthouse i saw that was profitable in a good area was 7k a month rent. Realistically you need to scale down or up the investment. Not a criticism.
I haven't received a pm from you so I'm going to assume that you are more keyboard warrior than serious business partner. Keyboard warrior is a very easy job, you can write whatever you want. Starting a business on the other hand is hard and time consuming. Consequently, I just don't have time to continue this discussion with you. Have a good day.

For those who might be interested in a private discussion please ignore pczz. He has no knowledge of any of the opportunities I'm currently pursuing, not to mention too much time on his hands! This is a genuine opportunity for someone to make a go of it in Phnom Penh and live the dream. I accept that it might not be for everyone, I even accept that I might not find a suitable partner. That's OK, but I am willing to have productive conversations with anyone who has an interest in what I'm trying to achieve.

Thanks all.
I am sorry you have taken exception to my comments which were not criticism of your proposals, but a reality check.
You have been in Cambodia 10 months. I have been here 8 years and have worked with foreign entrepreneurs attempting to start businesses with $500,000 budgets including new boutique hotels, dairies and Agro business. They all had a good plan, but had not understood the problems foreigners face in starting businesses in Cambodia, which is a long way down the table in the international "ease of doing business" league. Most, if not all, the members of this forum will know at least one person who has had their fingers burned with red tape, unscrupulous landlords and unexpected payments. Some have run and are running successful businesses but the majority of them will tell you that making a profit high enough to enjoy the good life in Cambodia is far from easy, if not damn impossible. As mentioned by another poster the main killer is rents. if you are seen to be successful then the landlord will increase the rent disproportionately. This is not unique to Cambodia but the amounts are staggering from a business perspective because of huge amounts of money being thrown at the country by the Chinese. You are severely undercapitalized for your stated objective of taking on a successful business in a prime area because your proposed budget is insufficient to buy a business like that and deal with the administrative hurdles. I wish you the best of luck.
Hi pczz,

Thanks for your constructive feedback. I think what you have provided here is an excellent broad outline of some of the challenges and issues business owners face in this market sector as a whole. Any potential business partner should be aware of these issues as I am.

You are right, I did take exception to your previous comments. I felt that you were building a strawman for the sole purpose of knocking it down. When I said I was looking at acquiring an already profitable GH & bar, in a good location for under 100K i meant it, that is a real thing. Refurbing 20 rooms @ 2k ea., 7K monthly rents, 3 year max leases and 25% annual rent increases are not; that is just something you made up.

I am a very realistic person, I know that this is going to be very hard work. I am expecting to have to eat dirt and drink my own tears at times simply to get by. I also know that these ventures will probably never make me an uber-rich man. I don't care about any of that, if I wanted an easy and comfortable life I would just go home, get my old job back and collect a six figure salary. I am here in Phnom Penh to live the dream and I am prepared to do what ever it takes to get there.

So, for those of you who are reading and have a similar way of thinking - send me a message!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic