Former KR Official Converts to Christianity

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
prahocalypse now
Expatriate
India

Former KR Official Converts to Christianity

Post by prahocalypse now »

Im Chaem, whose charges of crimes against humanity were dismissed by the ECCC due to a lack of evidence, has converted to Christianity.

Im Chaem is the old woman in the white top.

Ex-Khmer Rouge Official Converts to Christianity Guided by Pastor She Once Enslaved 

WASHINGTON — 
Im Chaem, a former Khmer Rouge official who was charged by a United Nations-backed tribunal with crimes against humanity including mass murder, extermination and enslavement, has converted to Christianity under the tutelage of a man who survived a forced labor camp she oversaw.

“I was redeemed,” she told VOA Khmer Friday by phone from her home in Anlong Veng, a district in northwest Cambodia known as the final Khmer Rouge stronghold.

“People have accused me of killing others. That’s wrong,” said the 75-year-old grandmother, a Buddhist by birth. “I have never used violence or threatened anyone. I did not accept the accusations of wrongdoing, as I did only the right.”

This Sunday, Im Chaem will hold worship services in her O Angre village home for the third time since her baptism Jan. 22. She plans to pray with seven church members, a congregation that includes members of her family who converted with her and friends.

There will be Bible study, perhaps from the New Testament’s Book of John, which Im Chaem told VOA she appreciates for its fairness and the verse 3:16: “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.”

Last year, on Feb. 22, the Extraordinary Chambers in the Courts of Cambodia, the tribunal tasked with trying those accused of the most horrific crimes of the Khmer Rouge rule from 1975 to 1979 dismissed the case against Im Chaem. The court found that she “was neither a senior leader nor otherwise one of the most responsible officials” of the regime.

Weeks earlier, in December, U.N. prosecutor Nicholas Koumjian said in a statement that Im Chaem “played a key role in the commission of crimes which led to many thousands of deaths.” International prosecutors said in a statement that Im Chaem had had been selected by the Khmer Rouge to lead a cleansing campaign in northwest Cambodia.
Im Chaem had refused to cooperate with the court.

The charges, which she had denied in the past, stemmed from her tenure as deputy secretary of the Koh Andet District in her native Takeo province and her role as district chief of the Preah Net Preah district in Banteay Meancheay province. With a colleague, she may have been responsible for as many as 560,000 deaths, according to The New York Times.

Prime Minister HE, as with many in Cambodia’s government and military, is a former Khmer Rouge functionary. He has cautioned the tribunal that prosecutions could lead to civil war, and international critics have accused the government of not cooperating with the tribunal.

Since its inception in 2006, the tribunal has convicted three people: two senior leaders and Kaing Guek Eav, commonly known as Duch and the commandant of Tuol Sleng, the notorious Khmer Rouge prison. He converted to Christianity in 1996 and was convicted of war crimes in 2010 in the torture and killing of more than 14,000 prisoners.
When the charges against Im Chaem were dismissed, Neth Pheaktra, tribunal spokesman, said there had been no pressure from the government to drop the case.

Christopher LaPel, a Cambodian pastor for the Golden West Christian Church in Los Angeles and a founding leader of the Cambodian Christian Church in northwest Cambodia, converted to Christianity in 1979 while in a Thai refugee camp, where he’d fled as the Khmer Rouge fell to the invading Vietnamese.

LaPel converted Duch, who joined about 2 percent of the population in an overwhelmingly Buddhist nation.

LaPel also converted Im Chaem, who oversaw construction in Trapeang Thma, where enslaved Cambodians, including LaPel, built a dam by hand.

On Thursday evening, LaPel told VOA, “While many people may hate her, I love her.” He was determined to help her find peace after living through the tumult of Cambodia’s Khmer Rouge era, he told VOA.

In November, while visiting Cambodia, LaPel was listening to VOA and heard about developments in Im Chaem’s case before the tribunal. He decided to find her and traced his onetime nemesis to Oddar Meanchey province and then to her village.

“It’s true that Mrs. Im Chaem received Jesus Christ as her savior God on November 6, 2017,” he told VOA, adding that her husband and children also converted.
“She accepted Christ because she heard testimonies and gospels from her Khmer Rouge comrades,” LaPel said. “They give their testimony about their life to her, that God changed them, that before they had never known what’s peace and what’s love.

“And she has been through all these kinds of issues, that her life had no direction and was empty,” LaPel said. “When she decided, she knows that only Jesus can give her harmony, peace, love, hope in her life and her family and God can forgive her sins.”

When asked if those sins were those set forth in the charges the tribunal dropped, LaPel said, “The sins or issues relating to Khmer Rouge era, we did not know if she was involved or not. It is the personal relationship between her and God only.”

Im Chaem told VOA she has felt relieved since she converted, in part because a mysterious illness afflicting her son Loeung, who also converted, is abating.

She insisted that her Christian faith is steadfast. “I will never change,” she said. “God has come into my heart and helps me to spiritually grow.”

https://www.voanews.com/a/khmer-rouge-o ... 59540.html
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Re: Former KR Official Converts to Christianity

Post by cptrelentless »

John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Jesus 1
Satan 0
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

Can't hold a mad person responsible for the past now, can we...

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

chorlton
Expatriate
Virgin Islands (Brit)

Post by chorlton »

because taking responsibility for being a cunt is hard, so magic words & cognitive retardation win
"Tolerance towards intolerance is cowardice"
- Ayaan Hirsi Ali
Kayve
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kayve »

She had to convert, following Buddhist believes, she would have obviously reincarnated as a chicken in her next life.

Let's try Jesus, he might forgive !
Don't forget the water buffalo
prahocalypse now
Expatriate
India

Post by prahocalypse now »

Baptism
xxxxxxx
Expatriate

Post by xxxxxxx »

John Bingham wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:05 pm Jesus 1
Satan 0
It's 2 - nil.

Duch also converted, once he found out you can simply pray for forgiveness of your sins and bada-bing, you're in through the pearly gates when you kark it. Pretty shitty Holy loophole, in my opinion.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

No surprises here. If she could devote the greater part of her life to the authoritarianism of KR precepts, which failed in its promise of a worker's Paradise, why should she not throw herself at the feet of another authoritarian belief system?
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Jesus saves ?

6 April 2018
Taking a rest from planting watermelon on her farm, former Khmer Rouge cadre Im Chaem smiles and says her mind is at ease after turning to Christianity in search of forgiveness over her time spent under the murderous regime.

“I believe in the God of Christianity because Jesus is responsible for forgiving people who did wrong things in the past after they understand about their faults and start to do good things,” she says. “In Buddhism, good deeds are rewarded and people have to be responsible for their bad deeds themselves.”

From 1976 to 1979, Ms Chaem was said to be responsible for setting up security offices in two sectors, including the largest one in Democratic Kampuchea, the Phnom Trayoung security office.

While in charge, she allegedly contributed to the arbitrary arrest, detention and execution of thousands of individuals.
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50300176/f ... bsolution/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic