Uber selling Southeast Asia unit to Grab

This is a part of our Cambodia forums to chat about anything Cambodia-related. This discussion forum is at the top of our site because it's usually the busiest part of the expat community chatter with random topics on just about everything, including expat life, Khmer politics, Cambodian blogs we have or have come across, or whatever else our members want to discuss. Whether you're an expatriate, tourist, Cambodian or random traveler just passing through South East Asia, you are welcome to talk about anything or start new topics yourselves.
Khmer_Risotto
Expatriate
Posts: 69
Joined: Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:17 pm
Reputation: 30
Cambodia

Uber selling Southeast Asia unit to Grab

Post by Khmer_Risotto » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:04 am

"Uber is preparing to sell its Southeast Asia business to Singapore's Grab in exchange for a sizable stake in the company, according to two sources with knowledge of the matter.

No deal has been reached yet, and the timing of any such deal is uncertain."
Source: https://www.cnbc.com/2018/02/16/uber-pr ... -grab.html
User avatar
cautious colin
Expatriate
Posts: 580
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:47 am
Reputation: 184
Great Britain

Re: Uber selling Southeast Asia unit to Grab

Post by cautious colin » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:37 am

Khmer_Risotto wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:04 am
"Uber is preparing to sell its Southeast Asia business to Singapore's Grab in exchange for a sizable stake in the company, according to two sources with knowledge of the matter.

No deal has been reached yet, and the timing of any such deal is uncertain."
Source: https://www.cnbc.com/2018/02/16/uber-pr ... -grab.html
Would be a shame for Grab to get a monopoly on the market. Not only would the price increase because of it, i feel their app is under par compared to Uber.

Lucky in Cambodia that we have so much choice on ride hailing apps, Do other SEA countries have so much choice (other than the big 2)?
bangkokhooker
Expatriate
Posts: 1094
Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:14 pm
Reputation: 108
United States of America

Re: Uber selling Southeast Asia unit to Grab

Post by bangkokhooker » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:16 am

Singapore has Uber and Grab.
User avatar
cautious colin
Expatriate
Posts: 580
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:47 am
Reputation: 184
Great Britain

Re: Uber selling Southeast Asia unit to Grab

Post by cautious colin » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:49 am

bangkokhooker wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:16 am
Singapore has Uber and Grab.
I was more asking if any other country has the smaller, home made apps like Passapp, iTsumo, Exnet etc. That is the benefit in Cambodia that is limiting the price hikes by Uber & Grab that will inevitably happen. if it goes from 2 to 1 and the only other competition are the taxis the prices are bound to rise (say in HCM, Manila, Singapore)
bangkokhooker
Expatriate
Posts: 1094
Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:14 pm
Reputation: 108
United States of America

Re: Uber selling Southeast Asia unit to Grab

Post by bangkokhooker » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:15 am

cautious colin wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:49 am
bangkokhooker wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:16 am
Singapore has Uber and Grab.
I was more asking if any other country has the smaller, home made apps like Passapp, iTsumo, Exnet etc. That is the benefit in Cambodia that is limiting the price hikes by Uber & Grab that will inevitably happen. if it goes from 2 to 1 and the only other competition are the taxis the prices are bound to rise (say in HCM, Manila, Singapore)
The Cambodian market is too small. I think Uber planned to sell it from the start.
Steivan
Tourist
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:37 pm
Reputation: 0
Cambodia

Re: Uber selling Southeast Asia unit to Grab

Post by Steivan » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:25 pm

„Lucky in Cambodia that we have so much choice on ride hailing apps, Do other SEA countries have so much choice (other than the big 2)?“

I used to use 911Go, but now all the small Tuk Tuks seem to be PassApp. Friendly takeover?
No problem as they don’t raise the price.
User avatar
cautious colin
Expatriate
Posts: 580
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:47 am
Reputation: 184
Great Britain

Re: Uber selling Southeast Asia unit to Grab

Post by cautious colin » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:50 am

Steivan wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:25 pm
„Lucky in Cambodia that we have so much choice on ride hailing apps, Do other SEA countries have so much choice (other than the big 2)?“

I used to use 911Go, but now all the small Tuk Tuks seem to be PassApp. Friendly takeover?
No problem as they don’t raise the price.
I am not too sure. I know a lot of the companies here use the same software (911go/passapp/exnet/ugo711) but they always used to have different prices/drivers

ITsumo the only one I know that has different underlying software
User avatar
dron
Expatriate
Posts: 335
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:52 am
Reputation: 36
Cambodia

Re: Uber selling Southeast Asia unit to Grab

Post by dron » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:42 am

I took an Uber last night. Still working fine. Near royal palace to BKK1 in a Lexus for $2.
"The revolution did more than legally create the United States; it transformed American society... Far from remaining monarchical, hierarchy-ridden subjects on the margin of civilization, Americans had become, almost overnight, the most liberal, the most democratic, the most commercial minded, and the most modern people in the world." - Gordon S. Wood
User avatar
cautious colin
Expatriate
Posts: 580
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:47 am
Reputation: 184
Great Britain

Re: Uber selling Southeast Asia unit to Grab

Post by cautious colin » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:43 am

dron wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:42 am
I took an Uber last night. Still working fine. Near royal palace to BKK1 in a Lexus for $2.
Grab has 80% off at the moment (GRAB80). Should probably give that one a go
User avatar
dron
Expatriate
Posts: 335
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:52 am
Reputation: 36
Cambodia

Re: Uber selling Southeast Asia unit to Grab

Post by dron » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:51 am

Cool. I will check it out. I had a bad feeling about Grab after using it in Thailand. They sent regular taxis who couldn't seem to read a map. I will give it a try here.
"The revolution did more than legally create the United States; it transformed American society... Far from remaining monarchical, hierarchy-ridden subjects on the margin of civilization, Americans had become, almost overnight, the most liberal, the most democratic, the most commercial minded, and the most modern people in the world." - Gordon S. Wood
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post