Is Cambodia safe for Americans or should I just visit Thailand instead?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expat's Online has a huge community of long term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap or anywhere else in the Kingdom. Don't be shy, ask CEO's members anything!
Arget
Expatriate
Posts: 2067
Joined: Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:44 am
Reputation: 713
Location: Phnom Penh
Contact:
Australia

Re: Is Cambodia safe for Americans or should I just visit Thailand instead?

Post by Arget » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:23 am

Maybe I am thick but why would he have to move his bike so far from Sorya (to walkabout) and why would he get beaten up just for putting a chain on it?
Abc123
Expatriate
Posts: 516
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:42 am
Reputation: 52
Australia

Re: Is Cambodia safe for Americans or should I just visit Thailand instead?

Post by Abc123 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:36 am

Original report said 51, near Sorya, so yes it appears you are, as Walkabout was near Sorya.
I don't know, what is a valid reason for lots of grown local men to beat a foreigner to death?
If he had called them names, would that satisfy your sense of justice?
User avatar
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Posts: 9314
Joined: Wed May 14, 2014 5:17 pm
Reputation: 1736
Location: the far side of the moon
Aruba

Re: Is Cambodia safe for Americans or should I just visit Thailand instead?

Post by phuketrichard » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:43 am

Abc123 wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:36 am
Original report said 51, near Sorya, so yes it appears you are, as Walkabout was near Sorya.
I don't know, what is a valid reason for lots of grown local men to beat a foreigner to death?
If he had called them names, would that satisfy your sense of justice?
There is NONE
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Arget
Expatriate
Posts: 2067
Joined: Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:44 am
Reputation: 713
Location: Phnom Penh
Contact:
Australia

Re: Is Cambodia safe for Americans or should I just visit Thailand instead?

Post by Arget » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:52 am

Abc123 wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:36 am
Original report said 51, near Sorya, so yes it appears you are, as Walkabout was near Sorya.
I don't know, what is a valid reason for lots of grown local men to beat a foreigner to death?
If he had called them names, would that satisfy your sense of justice?
Sorya is a block and a half away from old walkabout.
I asked the question to see if there was a reason that was known for having to move his bike?
Why the agro for asking a question?
And no there is no justification in beating someone to death.

Now unknot your panties....... =@
batshitcrazyweirdo
Expatriate
Posts: 89
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:23 am
Reputation: 11
Trinidad & Tobago

Re: Is Cambodia safe for Americans or should I just visit Thailand instead?

Post by batshitcrazyweirdo » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:10 am

best-case scenario wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:19 am
I'm an American citizen planning to travel to Cambodia in April and I'm concerned that the heightened anti-American rhetoric coming out of the Cambodian government might make my trip less safe. I could just as easily stay in Thailand. But I'd rather not boycott Cambodia unless my safety is at risk.
To be quite honest, Cambodia is very safe for an American tourist. If you're not a dumbass.

The only concern you should have is the US Embassy trying to shoot you because you came to their pre arranged appointment, like happened to me.

Cambodia is much safer than the USA, if that is what you are asking.
User avatar
Kuroneko
Expatriate
Posts: 3430
Joined: Thu May 15, 2014 11:18 am
Reputation: 599

Re: Is Cambodia safe for Americans or should I just visit Thailand instead?

Post by Kuroneko » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:31 am

Arget wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:52 am
Abc123 wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:36 am
Original report said 51, near Sorya, so yes it appears you are, as Walkabout was near Sorya.
I don't know, what is a valid reason for lots of grown local men to beat a foreigner to death?
If he had called them names, would that satisfy your sense of justice?
Sorya is a block and a half away from old walkabout.
I asked the question to see if there was a reason that was known for having to move his bike?
Why the agro for asking a question?
And no there is no justification in beating someone to death.

Now unknot your panties....... =@
Yes seems very strange I don't know any bar that is not willing to take care of one's bike. Many ask that you leave it unlocked so they can move it around. And as you say Sorya is a block and a half a way from sorya. The area south of Black Cat and north of where Walkabout was is practically all food vendors. There is no way in hell anyone would leave a bike there unattended.

The "agro" between local security/moto dops etc and Barangs is generally precipitated by the aggressive actions of the Barang. They dont seem to realise that getting agressive with one is akin to getting agressive with one dog in a pack. You pick on one and the whole pack is on you. Here the possibility of extreme violence is just below the surface. There are many cases concerning locals killing someone for some seemingly trivial offense. I am in no way condoning what happened, merely explaining what may have happened, as there is far too little information to go off.
Abc123
Expatriate
Posts: 516
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:42 am
Reputation: 52
Australia

Re: Is Cambodia safe for Americans or should I just visit Thailand instead?

Post by Abc123 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:53 pm

I said near, not very near. Anyhow, I was just reporting what had been told to me. I have no way of knowing if the story is true or not. Two people have told me about it.

If it is true, it begs the question of why it has not been reported in the media. Perhaps because people looking for info on safety here, like the OP, would be put off travelling here.
(┛◉Д◉)┛
Expatriate
Posts: 199
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:40 pm
Reputation: 22
Barbados

Re: Is Cambodia safe for Americans or should I just visit Thailand instead?

Post by (┛◉Д◉)┛ » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:25 am

phuketrichard wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:48 am
(┛◉Д◉)┛ wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:20 am
phuketrichard wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:30 am
no problems for either country,
follow simple rules you follow at home.

Think about a visit to Myanmar before it closes again.
Myanmar bank blast kills two, injures more than 20
https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/as ... 20-9978598

Lashio is tourist place if i recall correctly
very very few tourist ever make it there... Its past Hsipaw, which is as far as most go.
still, not good
Bomb blasts injure 2 in Myanmar's Rakhine state
Source: Xinhua 2018-02-24 11:14:06

YANGON, Feb. 24 (Xinhua) -- A series of four bomb explosions hit Sittwe, capital of Myanmar's western Rakhine state, early Saturday, injuring two people including a policeman, the President Office said.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot] and 64 guests