Sam Rainsey's Wildest Fantasy

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Gilmore
Expatriate
Australia

Sam Rainsey's Wildest Fantasy

Post by Gilmore »

I was startled out of my usual evening torpor by an astonishing interview with Sam Rainsey, broadcast on Australian news last night. After mouthing his usual cliches and platitudes, SR was asked if he realistically thought the opposition could wrest power from HE.
His response was that HE had already told him privately he was ready to retire and hand over the reins of power to him, provided he was given safe passage from the country with a share of his ill-gotten gains. WTF!!!
When asked if they had found a country willing to accept the abdicating leader, SR said they had already made arrangements with a nation, where he would be safe from the just retribution of the populace.
The interviewer's final question was would SR be holding the position of Cambodian PM at their next interview. SR's response was,
"Certainly, and it will happen earlier than you think."
Given the ongoing political drama, one can only surmise that SR is totally insane or he believes he can spout any sort of ridiculous bullshit to a foreign audience.
Sorry I don't have a link, but the interview was on Australia Plus TV last night.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Sam Rainsey's Wildest Fantasy

Post by timmydownawell »

That is bizarre. If I had a link, it would be http://www.abc.net.au/news/programs/the ... on/9448322.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by epidemiks »

He gave a National Press Club address yesterday too, will be online within a few days here

http://www.abc.net.au/news/programs/nat ... ress-club/
prahocalypse now
Expatriate
India

Post by prahocalypse now »

I thought this thread was going to be about Sam Rainsey's recurring wet dream in which Richard Nixon really did nuke Vietnam in 1972.
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by epidemiks »

Gilmore wrote: His response was that HE had already told him privately he was ready to retire and hand over the reins of power to him, provided he was given safe passage from the country with a share of his ill-gotten gains. WTF!!!.
He said HE made that statement publicly, so it should be fairly simple to verify.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

Oh I do so hope this is fantasy. I cannot think of much worse nightmare than to wake up in the morning and find a French banker in control. If anyone is going to replace HE they need a plan for the future of this country, and SR make Theresa MAy's brexit plans look well considered and feasible
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Rainsy is just bullshitting and lying to stir the pot. He knows he hasn't got a leg to stand on anymore.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic