French guy in a coma in Vietnam - call for help

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

French guy in a coma in Vietnam - call for help

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Another traveler who had a motorbike accident is in trouble because he has no insurance. This guy is in a coma in a Vietnamese hospital.
Translation from French.
Spoiler:
Xavier Saunier a besoin de l aide de toutes les ames chaleureuse pour etre transfere en France

Xavier Saunier est un jeune homme de 30 ans. C est un garcon drole et chaleureux, toujours a l ecoute des gens autour de lui.

Aujourd’hui, il se trouve dans une situation tres grave et aurait besoin du soutient d’un maximum de personnes possible.

Le 7 Fevrier 2018, il a fait une chute en moto dans la ville de Hoi An au Vietnam. Il a tout de suite ete tranfere dans l hopital le plus proche. Le docteur a annonce qui l etait inconsient mais qui l allait se reveiller, les infirmiers l ont donc laisse allonge sur un lit sans reelle assistance. Apres 8h, ses amis ont force les docteurs a le transferer a l hopital de Danang qui a meilleure reputation (a 30 km). Ceux ci ont immediatement realise que Xavier etait dans un Coma profond et ont tout fait pour le sauver. Apres 5 jours, il est toujours dans le Coma. Ses amis sur place lui parlent tous les jours pour essayer de le reveiller mais sa situation ne s’arrange que tres peu.

En plus de son cerveau, son epaule et sa jambe sont cassees, malgres que ceci reste secondaire pour l instant, sa maman et ses proches s inquitent de ne jamais trouver suffisement d argent pour que Xavier puisse s en sortir dans de bonnes conditions.

En effet, au Vietnam le systeme de soin depend totalement de la situation financiere.

La famille et les amis ont deja reuni une somme pour que Xavier puisse beneficier des soins necessaires a couvrir les nuitees et les premiers soins mais il reste un long chemin a parcourir.

Sa maman, Patricia Merckling, est desesperee! Elle appelle au soutient! Aucune assurance ne couvre son malheur et il ne reste plus que la compassion et l entraide pour que son enfant puisse etre transferer en France afin de beneficier des meilleurs soins.

MERCI D AVOIR PRIS LE TEMPS DE LIRE CE MESSAGE, AIDONS CETTE MERE A SAUVER SON FILS!

VOTRE AIDE SERA GRANDEMENT APPRECIE.
FB.
Xavier Saunier needs all help to be transferred to France

Xavier Saunier is a young French man who is 30 years old. He is a funny man with a warm heart and positive spirit. He was always the one who listen and help people around him.

Today Xavier is in a very bad situation and would need help from everyone who can support.

On the 7th February 2018, he fell on the road while driving a motorbike in Hoi An, Vietnam. He has immediately been transferred to the hospital of this city. The doctor said that he is unconscious but he will wake up soon so they just let him rest on a bed. In fact after 8h his friends force the doctors to transfer him to a bigger hospital 30 Km further (Danang general Hospital). They immediately realized that he was in a deep Coma and they do everything to save his life. After 5 days, he is still in coma. We have tried to speak to him to wake him up, but he stays still with such a bad situation. Beside the coma, Xavier also has broken shoulders and legs.

The thing is the health care system in Viet Nam will not react very well if you do not have enough money. Family and friends already support all they can and raised few thousand dollars to cover the first needs but Xavier will have to be transfer to France whenever it will be possible to increase his chances.

The mom (Patricia Merckling) is desperate! No insurance support (visa / house) and she is hopping every hours to found the money to help his children to recover properly.

PLEASE EVERYONE, FROM NEAR OR FAR, YOUR DONATION TODAY WILL DECIDE XAVIER’S LIFE!
https://gogetfunding.com/xavier-life-is ... situation/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Re: French guy in a coma in Vietnam - call for help

Post by hanno »

Look, I feel sorry for the guy BUT: Vietnam has to be the most dangerous country in the world to be riding a bike; doing so without insurance cover is just plain dumb.
The thing is the health care system in Viet Nam will not react very well if you do not have enough money
I do believe this is not unique to Vietnam.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Yeah, easy to flame the poor guy... They will need quite a bit of money to get home. To go home, he needs to be transported to either Hanoi or Ho Chi Minh, and then to France, occupying 3 or 4 seats with at least one medic accompanying him, and the medic has to come from France, or has to return to Vietnam. I guess they're looking at 15-25k for just getting the guy home, if an airline is willing to him accept him..... I don't think passenger airlines will be lining up to transport someone who's in a deep coma. If Air France has Cargo flights to either Hanoi or HCM I would advise the parents to aim for those. Usually they have a small space for passengers in those plane, and it might be large enough to medivac the poor guy.
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

hanno wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:15 am Look, I feel sorry for the guy BUT: Vietnam has to be the most dangerous country in the world to be riding a bike; doing so without insurance cover is just plain dumb.
The thing is the health care system in Viet Nam will not react very well if you do not have enough money
I do believe this is not unique to Vietnam.
I agree. In the 7 months I'd been in Vung Tau, I decided I would not buy a motorbike or take a moto taxi. I have many years of riding in Thailand and Cambodia but would not dare in Vietnam. It's very common to see a foreigner or local with bandages on the legs and/or shoulders, even chin due to moto accidents.

In fact, I was just as fearful of being a pedestrian, as riders will come at you from any angle, straight on or blind-sided. It's one of the key reasons I left VN.

Yet, foreigners will arrive in SEA and think it would be fun to rent a moto, without experience, licence or insurance. This will continue, as will the toll in lives and lifestyle.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Kammekor wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:26 am Yeah, easy to flame the poor guy... They will need quite a bit of money to get home. To go home, he needs to be transported to either Hanoi or Ho Chi Minh, and then to France, occupying 3 or 4 seats with at least one medic accompanying him, and the medic has to come from France, or has to return to Vietnam. I guess they're looking at 15-25k for just getting the guy home, if an airline is willing to him accept him..... I don't think passenger airlines will be lining up to transport someone who's in a deep coma. If Air France has Cargo flights to either Hanoi or HCM I would advise the parents to aim for those. Usually they have a small space for passengers in those plane, and it might be large enough to medivac the poor guy.
Might not be enough. We had to medevac a guest from Da Nang to Singapore (motorbike accident) and that was 30K.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

hanno wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:50 am
Kammekor wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:26 am Yeah, easy to flame the poor guy... They will need quite a bit of money to get home. To go home, he needs to be transported to either Hanoi or Ho Chi Minh, and then to France, occupying 3 or 4 seats with at least one medic accompanying him, and the medic has to come from France, or has to return to Vietnam. I guess they're looking at 15-25k for just getting the guy home, if an airline is willing to him accept him..... I don't think passenger airlines will be lining up to transport someone who's in a deep coma. If Air France has Cargo flights to either Hanoi or HCM I would advise the parents to aim for those. Usually they have a small space for passengers in those plane, and it might be large enough to medivac the poor guy.
Might not be enough. We had to medevac a guest from Da Nang to Singapore (motorbike accident) and that was 30K.
Wow... Private plane?
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

Had a friend who years ago, grated his jaw off on the bitumen here. Medivac to Thailand and then on to England apparently cost his mum over 100k sterling. Maybe 10 years ago.

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

ExPenhMan wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:41 am
Yet, foreigners will arrive in SEA and think it would be fun to rent a moto, without experience, licence or insurance. This will continue, as will the toll in lives and lifestyle.
Or Helmet? He was extremely unlucky to receive that level of traumatic brain injury if he was wearing a helmet. It is possible when you "slam hard" into another vehicle or object but it states "he fell on the road while driving a motorbike".

Helmets are shown to reduce motorcyclist head injury and death
Motorcycle helmets were found to reduce the risk of death and head injury in motorcyclists who crashed. From four higher quality studies helmets were estimated to reduce the risk of death by 42% (OR 0.58, 95% CI 0.50 to 0.68) and from six higher quality studies helmets were estimated to reduce the risk of head injury by 69% (OR 0.31, 95% CI 0.25 to 0.38). Insufficient evidence was found to estimate the effect of motorcycle helmets compared with no helmet on facial or neck injuries. However, studies of poorer quality suggest that helmets have no effect on the risk of neck injuries and are protective for facial injury. There was insufficient evidence to demonstrate whether differences in helmet type confer more or less advantage in injury reduction. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0012707/

A helmet is still very cheap insurance.
Micmac
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Micmac »

Even with insurance people dont read the PDS properly and often find themselves inadequately insured.

I dont know of any insurance companies who will cover you if you're unlicensed to drive/ride that particular vehicle in their own country. And if you're affected by drugs or alcohol no way will they payout.

Read the fine print about sporting activities,and you may be surprised.
Flattery makes friends and truth makes enemies
Micmac
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Micmac »

Barang chgout wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:46 am cost his mum over 100k sterling.

Now thats a mum who loves her son :D
Flattery makes friends and truth makes enemies
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic