French guy in a coma in Vietnam - call for help

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: French guy in a coma in Vietnam - call for help

Post by John Bingham »

Ok, some good points on here. Can anyone suggest a shop that sells helmets that are solid but don't cost $300?
Silence, exile, and cunning.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

John Bingham wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:51 pm Ok, some good points on here. Can anyone suggest a shop that sells helmets that are solid but don't cost $300?
Not here, but amazon prime deliver to Cambodia now.
I am surprised the embassy isn't dealing with this guy. I didn't think the French wer as bad as the brits in emergencies
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

pczz wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:21 am
John Bingham wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:51 pm Ok, some good points on here. Can anyone suggest a shop that sells helmets that are solid but don't cost $300?
I am surprised the embassy isn't dealing with this guy. I didn't think the French wer as bad as the brits in emergencies
I have plenty of French friends and none of them speak too highly of their embassies.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

hanno wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:02 pm
pczz wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:21 am
I have plenty of French friends and none of them speak too highly of their embassies.
Yes, but they should be the first port of call. At the very least they can interpret and negotiate with the hospital, and maybe provide a loan against future tax. British embassy used toake loans and get it back through tax or pension once upon a time. Technically he is a european citizen and can request help from ANY eu embassy if there is no french embassy

https://ec.europa.eu/consularprotection/index.action_en
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

superferret wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:42 pm The cheap helmets can be the difference between life and death, but if the straps are not buckled and they fall off before you hit the ground, that's equivalent to not wearing a helmet.
That's exactly right, cost does not always equate with better. "The last useful innovation made to the motorcycle helmet design was done in 1968. This means that today, even the lower end brands could easily conform to the basic safety standards." https://www.directasia.com/blog/is-your ... cting-you/[/quote]

Compared with motorcyclists with firmly fastened helmets, those with loosely fastened helmets increased their risk of head injury and were more than twice as likely to have brain injuries. Effectiveness of different types of motorcycle helmets and effects of their improper use on head injuries https://academic.oup.com/ije/article/40/3/794/746475

Studies show that in a crash, 45.3% of all impacts will land on your face. 19.4% will land on your jaw. As a rule of thumb, helmets have a five-year life span from the date of manufacturing. When buying the helmet, look for the date of manufacture and make a note of when you should trash it.
Is your motorcycle helmet really protecting you? https://www.directasia.com/blog/is-your ... cting-you/

Since many people may buy helmets manufactured in Thailand this article on the change in standards which was introduced by the Thai Industrial Standards Institute (TIS) may be of interest. "In the future, there will be a new safety helmet standard for motorcyclist; TIS 369-2557, which is expected to be valid within 2015. Below is a chart comparing the new TIS 369-2557 with the old TIS 2539 standard.

The Difference of Safety Helmet Testing as the Standard of TIS 369-2539 and TIS 369-2557
http://www.thaiauto.or.th/2012/news/new ... ws_id=3204
jaynewcastle
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by jaynewcastle »

It still astounds me that people travel with no insurance at all, or buy cheap inadequate insurance that doesn't cover them

I have 3 pre-existing medical conditions I declare, therefore it costs a lot more but I wouldn't dream of travelling without insurance, in case anything happens
superferret
Expatriate
Albania

Post by superferret »

jaynewcastle wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:37 pm It still astounds me that people travel with no insurance at all, or buy cheap inadequate insurance that doesn't cover them

I have 3 pre-existing medical conditions I declare, therefore it costs a lot more but I wouldn't dream of travelling without insurance, in case anything happens
It's really not astounding, if you were young, healthy and had little money,
would you rather spend it on girls and partying or health insurance?
Some of you guys are really out of touch, and I imagine you have high incomes coming from the West,
it's always easy to speak from your high horse, but backpackers are not like that.
One time I met a French girl who was sleeping on hostel floors because she didn't have money for a dorm bed.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

superferret wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:55 pm
jaynewcastle wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:37 pm It still astounds me that people travel with no insurance at all, or buy cheap inadequate insurance that doesn't cover them

Some of you guys are really out of touch, and I imagine you have high incomes coming from the West,
it's always easy to speak from your high horse, but backpackers are not like that.
One time I met a French girl who was sleeping on hostel floors because she didn't have money for a dorm bed.
Then she should not travel, simple. I have always had health insurance, even when I was young and poor. No high horse here, just common sense.
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

You can get a perfectly decent full-face helmet for $40 or under.

The $7 crap is just a decoration/fine-avoider.
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

superferret wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:55 pm

Backpacker insurance is less than $200 for the year (1 less beer a day). If you can't set aside that out of your budget then you shouldn't be going in the first place
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic