French guy in a coma in Vietnam - call for help

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Re: French guy in a coma in Vietnam - call for help

Post by hanno »

Kammekor wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:28 am
hanno wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:50 am
Kammekor wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:26 am Yeah, easy to flame the poor guy... They will need quite a bit of money to get home. To go home, he needs to be transported to either Hanoi or Ho Chi Minh, and then to France, occupying 3 or 4 seats with at least one medic accompanying him, and the medic has to come from France, or has to return to Vietnam. I guess they're looking at 15-25k for just getting the guy home, if an airline is willing to him accept him..... I don't think passenger airlines will be lining up to transport someone who's in a deep coma. If Air France has Cargo flights to either Hanoi or HCM I would advise the parents to aim for those. Usually they have a small space for passengers in those plane, and it might be large enough to medivac the poor guy.
Might not be enough. We had to medevac a guest from Da Nang to Singapore (motorbike accident) and that was 30K.
Wow... Private plane?
Private jet with a Doctor and a nurse.
STEVITO
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by STEVITO »

A private medivac jet from Phnom Penh to Bangkok cost about $10k. I know. I was in it twice. I had insurance...
angkorjohn
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by angkorjohn »

Micmac wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:22 pm
Barang chgout wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:46 am cost his mum over 100k sterling.

Now thats a mum who loves her son :D
probably not as much as she used to :beer3:
Cruisemonkey
Expatriate
Vietnam

Post by Cruisemonkey »

ExPenhMan wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:41 am
hanno wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:15 am Look, I feel sorry for the guy BUT: Vietnam has to be the most dangerous country in the world to be riding a bike; doing so without insurance cover is just plain dumb.
The thing is the health care system in Viet Nam will not react very well if you do not have enough money
I do believe this is not unique to Vietnam.
I agree. In the 7 months I'd been in Vung Tau, I decided I would not buy a motorbike or take a moto taxi. I have many years of riding in Thailand and Cambodia but would not dare in Vietnam. It's very common to see a foreigner or local with bandages on the legs and/or shoulders, even chin due to moto accidents.

In fact, I was just as fearful of being a pedestrian, as riders will come at you from any angle, straight on or blind-sided. It's one of the key reasons I left VN.

Yet, foreigners will arrive in SEA and think it would be fun to rent a moto, without experience, licence or insurance. This will continue, as will the toll in lives and lifestyle.

It really makes no difference whether it's Cambodia, Thailand, Laos or Vietnam. The 'Rules of the Road' (as westerners know them) do not apply.

It blows my mind how tourists from western countries who have never driven a scooter (moto) or motorcycle in their life, and would would never drive illegally in their own country, have their brains 'sucked out' on the aircraft, get off the plane in SE Asia, rent a moto... and drive illegally... wearing nothing but flip-flops, shorts, a T-shirt and a 'Tonka Toy' tourist 'brain bucket' (if anything) that won't do much more than protect the top of their head from sunburn.

Ninety-nine point nine percent of the idiots have no insurance coverage... whether they think they do or not.

Fuck crowd funding! Know how to drive a bike, have the proper licence and be insured.
You could be next.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

I’ll donate to buying him a sense of responsibility.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

Kuroneko wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:05 pm
ExPenhMan wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:41 am
Yet, foreigners will arrive in SEA and think it would be fun to rent a moto, without experience, licence or insurance. This will continue, as will the toll in lives and lifestyle.
Or Helmet? He was extremely unlucky to receive that level of traumatic brain injury if he was wearing a helmet. It is possible when you "slam hard" into another vehicle or object but it states "he fell on the road while driving a motorbike".

Helmets are shown to reduce motorcyclist head injury and death
Motorcycle helmets were found to reduce the risk of death and head injury in motorcyclists who crashed. From four higher quality studies helmets were estimated to reduce the risk of death by 42% (OR 0.58, 95% CI 0.50 to 0.68) and from six higher quality studies helmets were estimated to reduce the risk of head injury by 69% (OR 0.31, 95% CI 0.25 to 0.38). Insufficient evidence was found to estimate the effect of motorcycle helmets compared with no helmet on facial or neck injuries. However, studies of poorer quality suggest that helmets have no effect on the risk of neck injuries and are protective for facial injury. There was insufficient evidence to demonstrate whether differences in helmet type confer more or less advantage in injury reduction. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0012707/

A helmet is still very cheap insurance.
Utter crap in relation to Asia. The helmets are badly made of bad materials with insufficient padding and inadequate straps. To work properly a helmet has to be a tight fit, stay on and absorb the impact. This is why we have standards for western helmets. the crap they sell here for $5 is not going to offer the protections of a proper certified crash helmet which will typically cost $300 and up. They might offer limited protection at under 30kph, jury is out on that but the 2 accidents I saw the helmet was off before the victim hit the ground. undone straps, not tighteneing after last user etc. And you have to ask what is the point. helmets get less effective the fastest you go, not just because they cannot absorb the high speed impacts, but because you usually get other catastrophic internal injuries from hitting other things like kerbs,
Cruisemonkey
Expatriate
Vietnam

Post by Cruisemonkey »

I'm amazed at the number of people in SE Asia who wear a helmet, but don't 'do it up' (locals and tourists).
:facepalm:
You could be next.
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

Indeed and the idiots who think anything other than a full-face will give you all-round protection
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

that genius wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:08 am Indeed and the idiots who think anything other than a full-face will give you all-round protection
A full face is the best option because the most likely impact zone is your face. See the link below.
https://rideapart.com/articles/icon-x-dietmar-otte
The downside is a full face has to fit better to work, and needs to be better designed so it doesn't break and come come smashing into your face. Many full face here are too low at the back where there needs to be clearance to let your head tilt backward if your chin hits the kerb without snapping your neck .Generally for low speed town work I prefer a police style open face that covers your ears , and a full face for out of town.
Catch 22 is you can buy decent helmets made in Thailand for export to the west that meet western standards but sometimes they sell cheaper versions for the local market which are made to a lower standard
superferret
Expatriate
Albania

Post by superferret »

The cheap helmets can be the difference between life and death, but if the straps are not buckled and they fall off before you hit the ground, that's equivalent to not wearing a helmet.
I feel really sorry for this guy, and I can't believe totally inhumane comments like that of hanno. Since when are teenagers and people in their early 20's expected to be responsible? Western culture tells these guys they need to take risks and be irresponsible to be cool.
Did it occur to anyone the Vietnamese share some of the blame for renting motorbikes to these guys who have no license, no insurance, and also for driving like madmen?
The other issue is Vietnamese and Cambodian rental companies often rent out shit motorbikes that are not maintained and a serious threat.
I just rented one recently and the first two bikes they offered me the brakes were'nt working properly, they were a serious risk, and these as*holes don't bother to fix them.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic