My God,another 17 dead in Florida

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

My God,another 17 dead in Florida

Post by phuketrichard »

what makes a 19 year old crack??
A shooting at a high school in Parkland, Florida, killed at least 17 people, stunning the town and much of the nation, as investigators raced to find a possible motive behind the bloodbath.

The suspect was identified as 19-year-old Nikolas Cruz, a former student at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School who'd been expelled for disciplinary reasons, Broward County Sheriff Scott Israel confirmed during an evening news conference. Sen. Bill Nelson told Fox News that Cruz was wearing a gas mask and may have had smoke bombs during the
rampage.

Gun control is NOT the answer. Mental health needs to step up, Schools need counselor's that can identify potential future trouble.

My heart goes to those whose lives were cut short..
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/02/14/pa ... -says.html
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Re: My God,another 17 dead in Florida

Post by hanno »

Gun control IS the answer. Why are shootings like this rare in countries with gun control. This is the eighth school shooting in the US this year!!!!
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

phuketrichard wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:26 am what makes a 19 year old crack??

Gun control is NOT the answer. Mental health needs to step up, Schools need counselor's that can identify potential future trouble.

If he could not get access to a gun he couldn't kill people.

Everyone cries 2nd amendment cannot be changed................................ It is an amendment . You changed the amendment on Prohibition.

the 18th Amendment that prohibited the sale of alcoholic beverages was rendered ineffective by the 21st Amendment.
finbar
Expatriate
New Caledonia

Post by finbar »

-
Last edited by finbar on Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
-
Per ardua, ad stercus
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

getting an ILLEGAL gun is so dam easy in America, gun control wont affect the numbers of guns on the street.
i recall one shooting, the kid stole his Parents LEGAL guns out of the house .
Have u all forgotten, their using cars ,vans & bombs in Europe, Bombs, suicide bombers in the middle east

Should America become more like Australia where gun control is strict??
Many people are pushing for the United States to model it’s gun policy after Australia with extremely strict gun control as well as gun confiscation. They point to Australia having “no mass shootings” since 1996 when these laws were enacted.

I would like to tell you how the media, gun control advocates and liberals are again wrong with this agenda, as well as explain to you a bit more about the Australia phenomenon. First, regardless of what the media and liberals tell you, mass shootings have occurred in Australia. Let’s look at just the last 3 years.
This is also a bit of trickery with numbers and comparing statistics. Yes, there have been 29 in America since 2011, and I do not dispute that. But let’s dig deep into numbers- Australia only has 23 million people living in it (with a large amount of those very spread out). But let’s just stick to quantity and not density. The United States has nearly 14 times as many people, at nearly 320 million. So if you compare apples to apples, if Australia had as many people as the United States and the ratio of mass killings to total populace remained the same, Australia would have 42 mass killings compared to 29 in the United States. That is 13 more!

Finally, if someone really wants to kill someone, they will find a way. Let’s look at the recent Cairns child killings in Australia where someone killed 8 children with a knife. Or the Quaker Hill Nursing home arson in Australia that killed 11 by fire. Or the Lin killings, also in Australia, that killed 5 with a hammer.

The facts are this: gun control doesn’t work, and pointing towards programs on other countries that are statistically manipulative does not solve the problem. Bad people will still find a way to get guns or kill by other methods. I would much rather people have the right to own a gun and give them the capacity to defend themselves than take away that right and leave them defenseless from those that will kill or harm regardless.
:thumb:
https://caffeinatedthoughts.com/2016/06 ... ol-policy/

Mental health is the issue.....

Stop the Hate
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
finbar
Expatriate
New Caledonia

Post by finbar »

Arget wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:56 am

If he could not get access to a gun he couldn't kill people.

Everyone cries 2nd amendment cannot be changed................................ It is an amendment . You changed the amendment on Prohibition.

the 18th Amendment that prohibited the sale of alcoholic beverages was rendered ineffective by the 21st Amendment.
Agreed, a small % of the population are responsible for the vast majority of violent crime, and removing guns from the equation would reduce the impact of that violence. It isn't just about mental health, it's about delinquency, drugs, crime, and even simple anger management, problems which we'll never eliminate. As for illegal guns, it's much easier to deal with those once having a gun at all, outside of a shooting range, hunting ground, etc, is cause for immediate SWAT arrest.

Once again, the libertarian "freedom" types confuse "my freedom to xxx" with the overall societal consequences. Freedom to own a gun reduces everyone's freedom:

https://kottke.org/18/02/the-united-states-of-guns-3

And one of the original reasons for "the right to bear arms" was as a defense against oppressive govenment, but it's becoming quite clear that doesn't work either, in fact perhaps the opposite, as the forces of law and order become increasingly militaristic and authoritarian in order to protect themselves from armed citizens.
-
Per ardua, ad stercus
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

A shooting at a high school in Parkland, Florida, killed at least 17 people, stunning the town and much of the nation, as investigators raced to find a possible motive behind the bloodbath.

The suspect was identified as 19-year-old Nikolas Cruz, a former student at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School who'd been expelled for disciplinary reasons, Broward County Sheriff Scott Israel confirmed during an evening news conference. Sen. Bill Nelson told Fox News that Cruz was wearing a gas mask and may have had smoke bombs during the
rampage.

If gun control is not the answer then what the hell is the bloody question?
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

this kind of event happens almost only in USA in percentage terms.
other cuntries do not have such easy access to firearms, and that is all you need to know really.

yanks always argue the 2nd is there to take down a tyrannical government should the need arise.
but all that would be required to stop a government is civil disobedience.

India did not win independence by force of arms.
Joe5
Tourist
Great Britain

Post by Joe5 »

https://app.powerbi.com/view?r=eyJrIjoi ... EwfQ%3D%3D

Updated interactive link if anyone is intersted

Quick stat: in the last 10 years 207 people have died in mass shootings from legally obtained weapons when the shooter had a previous history of mental illness**. :BangHead:

** edit - in the USA alone (if that wasn't clear)
Last edited by Joe5 on Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

19 year old chemicals?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic