Do I have to leave Cambodia?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
dron
Expatriate
Cambodia

Do I have to leave Cambodia?

Post by dron »

Hi. I have been living in Cambodia since 2011. I have been getting one year regular visas from Lucky Lucky since my first month in the country. I have read through a lot of the threads here on visas, but I haven't found anything for my situation.

I don't work in Cambodia. I have some online hustles that earn me on average $7000 a month in passive income, which is deposited in my accounts back in the US. I just withdraw the money here. I stay in a serviced apartment owned by a big shot, but I doubt they could help me on anything related to immigration.

I am wondering if there is any method for me to continue my stay in Cambodia after my visa expires in September. Lucky Lucky doesn't seem to have any ideas, and they don't seem to think things will change for the better in the coming months.

I am in my thirties so the retirement visa won't work for me. I don't work for anyone, let alone a Cambodian company. What are my options, other than moving to Vietnam where I am still able to get a business visa no questions asked like I used to do here.

Could I set up a "consulting" business in Cambodia and get a work permit for myself? Is that at all feasible? Would kind of cost and process would I be looking at? I can't imagine it would be simple, but I'd be willing to put in some effort.

Thanks for any help or advice.
"The revolution did more than legally create the United States; it transformed American society... Far from remaining monarchical, hierarchy-ridden subjects on the margin of civilization, Americans had become, almost overnight, the most liberal, the most democratic, the most commercial minded, and the most modern people in the world." - Gordon S. Wood
Khmer_Risotto
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Do I have to leave Cambodia?

Post by Khmer_Risotto »

I'm in a similar situation so I'd be interested in what others have to stay. The idea of starting a 'business' and giving myself a letter of employment has crossed my mind. Not sure what the cost of that would be though and if it would be worth the hassle. Of course I haven't had a work permit the many years I've lived here either so I'd be worried about all the fines that would be due.

Best case scenario is that by September this would have all blown over or MAYBE an actual realistic solution (doubtful).
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

The cost of setting up a sole propriet. business would be rat droppings to you with your income. Others know the costs better than I do, as I have forgotten the detail from when I was looking into it. After initial costs, which you won’t even feel the impact of with your income, it is just a matter of paying someone to do the paperwork/taxes regularly. Tax is low to zilch (again, I have forgotten the detail) for those earning under ... 2000? P/mth. Just declare what you need to from your questionable online scams, which I hope are not taking advantage of people.
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
prahocalypse now
Expatriate
India

Post by prahocalypse now »

dron wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:00 am

I don't work in Cambodia. I have some online hustles that earn me on average $7000 a month in passive income
What's an online hustle?
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by epidemiks »

prahocalypse now wrote:
dron wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:00 am

I don't work in Cambodia. I have some online hustles that earn me on average $7000 a month in passive income
What's an online hustle?
Drop shipping fidget spinners.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Try for the ER EOS, you just need to provide enough evidence that you aren't working/intending to work in Cambodia, and that you have sufficient funds to support yourself. Write a stat dec to that effect, provide bank statements, etc and submit to the DoI...Try contacting the agent Call Kim for assistance.

Failing that, set up a sole proprietor business as mentioned.
PhnomRon
Expatriate

Post by PhnomRon »

If you're smart enough to make $7,000 a month "hustling" online, you should be smart enough to figure out how to stay in Cambodia.
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

Sole trader around $160 and theoretically can be done online or can be done at sankat or ministry of commerce i believe.
Under $5000 / month turnover, taxed only on profi, from what i can work out.
Guess there are a few of us who are looking into this.

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

Barang chgout wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:48 pm Sole trader around $160 and theoretically can be done online or can be done at sankat or ministry of commerce i believe.
Under $5000 / month turnover, taxed only on profi, from what i can work out.
Guess there are a few of us who are looking into this.

While I don’t recall the exact figures, I know the true cost of setting up as sole is higher than $160.
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

https://www.businessregistration.moc.go ... /register/

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic