Un-Riel Experience

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
MrKikilu
Expatriate
Somalia

Re: Un-Riel Experience

Post by MrKikilu »

Canadia ATM give out 50000៛ notes a lot of the time
Luigi
Expatriate

Post by Luigi »

I've gotten quite a few 50K notes from Wing. But I like the 20K notes. It's when they want to give me 10 & 5K note for a $100. that I walk elsewhere.
username
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by username »

I've exchanged my 100$ bills into both 100k and 50k riel bills from money changers many times, but I've never received it as change from normal transactions, even when paying with 100$ bills and receiving the change entirely in riels.

So even though they exist, they're not much in use. Probably because the dollar is so readily available.
Lexy
Tourist
Canada

Post by Lexy »

I had something similar happen in SR twice with two different tuktuk drivers. I tried to give 2USD and 2000 riel to pay for a ride but they refused.. they would only accept the USD and in the end accepted just 2USD and not the 2000 riel, which completely baffled me. like they took less money than i was offering, what?? was/am so confused about it.
superferret
Expatriate
Albania

Post by superferret »

Lexy wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:20 pm I had something similar happen in SR twice with two different tuktuk drivers. I tried to give 2USD and 2000 riel to pay for a ride but they refused.. they would only accept the USD and in the end accepted just 2USD and not the 2000 riel, which completely baffled me. like they took less money than i was offering, what?? was/am so confused about it.
You were overpaying them, sometimes they're nice and tell you when you're overpaying. The 2 USD was probably more than enough.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Lexy wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:20 pm I had something similar happen in SR twice with two different tuktuk drivers. I tried to give 2USD and 2000 riel to pay for a ride but they refused.. they would only accept the USD and in the end accepted just 2USD and not the 2000 riel, which completely baffled me. like they took less money than i was offering, what?? was/am so confused about it.
You mean this kind of 2USD? Not everyone takes them:

Silence, exile, and cunning.
Lexy
Tourist
Canada

Post by Lexy »

John Bingham wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:47 am

Nope, it was two 1USD notes
Lexy
Tourist
Canada

Post by Lexy »

superferret wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:43 am
You were overpaying them, sometimes they're nice and tell you when you're overpaying. The 2 USD was probably more than enough.
I haggled with him before the ride - he quoted me like 4USD or something - so I don't think that was it
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

John Bingham wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:47 am

But it's also considered a lucky bill. Many Cambodians have it in their wallet and keep it their for good luck.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic