Working remote in Cambodia, legally

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
james1234
Expatriate
Belgium

Re: Working remote in Cambodia, legally

Post by james1234 »

Hi Andy,

How are you now? Already back in Cambodia? You did register a business or sole trader? What is your business?
enlguy
Tourist

Post by enlguy »

soup wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:40 am
philip.smith wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:00 am Thanks all for the answers. It's an interesting situation that I'll have to give some thought to. I'm not coming here to work, rather I'll be coming to be with my partner until we can leave Cambodia, but would like to still be making an income back home by working remote. I think if I can't do it legally (my employer won't support it if not) I guess my option is to do the EG visa to 'look for a job' and extend while not working remote at all. I don't want to risk future trips back to Cambodia as my partner's family are Cambodian, so not upsetting the Khmer govt. isn't something I want to do.
Do those of us that do work remotely a favor. Keep your fucking mouth shut.

The last thing any remote worker needs is a pedantic tourist coming in and making it more difficult by raising the question of taxes and legalities.

Many remote workers like to stay off the grid! :evil:
Wow....
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by epidemiks »

Fwiw, a friend that does freelance work was able to use an agent to get an EB extension in June, cost was around $100 on top of the extension fee. He has a work permit as a freelancer, obtained via the online system.
ofparadise
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by ofparadise »

philip.smith wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:00 am Thanks all for the answers. It's an interesting situation that I'll have to give some thought to. I'm not coming here to work, rather I'll be coming to be with my partner until we can leave Cambodia, but would like to still be making an income back home by working remote. I think if I can't do it legally (my employer won't support it if not) I guess my option is to do the EG visa to 'look for a job' and extend while not working remote at all. I don't want to risk future trips back to Cambodia as my partner's family are Cambodian, so not upsetting the Khmer govt. isn't something I want to do.
I'm in exactly the same situation. Applied for a 6 month visa from my home company that stated that I am going to be here for 6 months to do market research and analysis instead of the usual employment letter. They accepted.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

just forge some shit with photoshop.
that is what most do.
they will be baffled and not want to lose face- they will want the money- no worries.
BklynBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BklynBoy »

frank lee bent wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:16 am just forge some shit with photoshop.
that is what most do.
they will be baffled and not want to lose face- they will want the money- no worries.
I was thinking the same thing...I remember did something similar - not for this specific situation but something else.
Manhattan keeps on making it, Brooklyn keeps on taking it
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic