giving

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: giving

Post by timmydownawell »

phuketrichard wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:25 pm i give very very seldom and never to kids. its their karma be as you see them... and i dont mean that as a bad thing
I noticed all the monks in Kampot seemed to be children. Why is that? Homeless kids with nowhere else to go?
many are homeless and it used to be at least 1 male would enter the monk hood from each family
In PP I don't see child monks, they are all late teens/20ish up to 70something so it is definitely noticeable.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

phuketrichard wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:25 pm i give very very seldom and never to kids. its their karma be as you see them... and i dont mean that as a bad thing
I noticed all the monks in Kampot seemed to be children. Why is that? Homeless kids with nowhere else to go?
many are homeless and it used to be at least 1 male would enter the monk hood from each family
Yep. Sounds harsh but I have to agree. if I gave $1 to every deserving case I see I would be the one with a hungry belly. Sometimes I think its better to save it or group up and make a life changing contribution like paying for 1 kid to go to school or whatever. Old saying, give someone a fish you feed them for a day, give them a rod and you feed them for life.
You give 1 $1 a day and they start relying on it and you go, then what?
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

Romanian saying, Daca dai, n'ai. If you give you don't have.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Outside of the central area and main markets beggars are relatively rare. There are old destitute folks from the boonies who wander, also the blind guys who play the Dtro with a kid collecting the alms. Horribly disabled people used to be more common. A guy walked down my street last week, at first glance I thought he was just one of those dirty drug addict zombies, all matted hair and greasy clothes. Then I noticed he had no hands, just a pair of hooks. I was waiting on an ice milk coffee so I gave my kid 1000 Riel for the unfortunate chap, I noticed a few locals giving him some money too.
To be fair I find it much worse in Europe. When I'm sitting outside my favorite pub back home, as you have to be outside to smoke, there are an incredible amount of beggars and blaggers around. None are physically disabled, they are all junkies and Eastern European Gypsies. Every few minutes another one of these people comes up to you with the same old sob story, it's pathetic.
Most of the people begging here are actually in very dire straits and aren't just taking the piss. People aren't all heartless, they just don't like being taken for a ride.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Firefly
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Firefly »

frank lee bent wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:33 pm being right on the river front of Kampot everyone passes daily.

there is an old gal who is bent double from osteoporosis pulling her recycling cart and another old gran that can barely walk that i always give a little money too. they are about my age.

there is also a blind fiddler with his grand daughter maybe, and a dwarf with 2 tiny kids getting round. i buy a few cans of those tomato sardines to hand out to them. they are delighted and astonished to get that food instead of cash.

i think they are kind of surprised that anyone actually thought to feed them.

oh and there is a little monk about 7 years old i give to. he asked my name today and told me his was "money" LOL
can't make it up.
i will take a lot of memories away from here with me and these will be ones i will not lose
i

You make me nostalgic for the place Frank, I remember dreadlock man, the local one that is, and a great woman who went through bins all dressed in layers of found clothes and jangly cheap jewellery. Sunset on the riverside, is it 5 or 6pm the fishing boats head out? :beer3:
'What matters most is how well you walk through the fire.' Charles Bukowski
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

That old lady has been there forever, and she's hardy as fuck. She's also quite proud and hard-working. I'm sure she appreciates the food, but I always assumed she didn't need anyone's money (or food). If I were you I would just give her all your recyclables (for free).
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

at $3/day i won't go broke and no one will become dependant :-)
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

frank lee bent wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:06 am at $3/day i won't go broke and no one will become dependant :-)
that's $90 a month! You could afford to support a girlfriend and her family on that :stir:
dron
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by dron »

Pol Pot was a monk.
"The revolution did more than legally create the United States; it transformed American society... Far from remaining monarchical, hierarchy-ridden subjects on the margin of civilization, Americans had become, almost overnight, the most liberal, the most democratic, the most commercial minded, and the most modern people in the world." - Gordon S. Wood
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

taabarang wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:49 pm Romanian saying, Daca dai, n'ai. If you give you don't have.
The old book talks about having two coats. Paraphrased - if you have two coats and you see a man with no coat, give him one of your coats. To me, this speaks of giving out of what you can afford to give away, not putting yourself in a place of poverty too.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic