$1096 a month

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Re: $1096 a month

Post by Kuroneko »

Pizzalover wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:29 pm

Emergency services are crap in PP or non existent. For the check up, fine, but the higher risk remains and the combination of humidity and heat is a killer. Not too many expats 75 and up here.

Once you are in the hospital emergency services can be very good. I know that there are some places that are still sub standard, but to make a sweeping statement "Emergency services are crap in PP or non existent" is patently wrong. The problem at present is first response and getting the injured from a crash site to the centre of care. A&E at Central are very good, I have seen them operate and also been a recipient of care a number of times. I have run a hospital here and health services in Australia, I have also taught medics in the Army, so I know what a good level of care means.

I don't want to get into an argument healthcare in Phnom Penh, I have good service, and a number of people I know do also, I am passing on information that could be of benefit to someone on limited resources. The op is new here and needs accurate information on the level standard and cost of health care available. There are people who can ill afford the cost, flying home or to Thailand to access care that is available here, because they listen to this "poor heath care in Cambodia myth", grown from the prevalence of broad sweeping and inaccurate statements trashing the health service.

When I arrived here over twenty years ago the state of the health service was poor, but it has progressed greatly and procedures unthinkable twenty years ago are now commonplace. However the perception of that service by many expats has remained static.
prahocalypse now
Expatriate
India

Post by prahocalypse now »

taabarang wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:08 pm If I die in Cambodia my written instructions are quite clear. 1). Shove a bone up my ass and 2) whistle for the dogs.
I'm guessing you play dead a lot.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

A predictably tasteless response due to a failure of humor on your part. Typical of you actually. You're probably the owner of several Glory Hole tee shirts as well.
Last edited by taabarang on Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
prahocalypse now
Expatriate
India

Post by prahocalypse now »

taabarang wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:07 pm A predictably tasteless response due to a failure of humor on your part. Typical of you actually.
In what way is this "typical" of me?
Last edited by prahocalypse now on Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

@OP: You are also hoping that the dollar stays stable or improves.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

frank lee bent wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:21 pm i guess you have registered your Koan Kot kids as US citizens born abroad?
you know their mother and the kids should get usa ss for a long time after you are gone.
it is a pretty simple process compared to some of the gov tomfoolery.
also- any kids you have in ecuador can get it too!

there are a few little cracks of humanitarianism in policy.
not exactly Frank'

If Taa is on SS he is getting money every month for both kids, ( nearly half of what he already gets), IF he registered his kids as his, till they are 18.. I dont think kids get anything if he dies nor does his wife
One of the few reasons to have kids if ur already old
While I receive Social Security benefits, can my foreign (non-U.S. citizen, non-green-card holder) spouse also receive spousal Social Security benefits if we live outside the United States?

Depending on your situation, spousal Social Security benefits may be paid to your foreign spouse. For any spouse who is not a U.S. citizen or green-card holder, the general rule is that Social Security payments must stop if the spouse has been outside of the U.S. for six consecutive calendar months. There are a number of exceptions that allow payments outside to the U.S. to continue, however, mostly based on either the receiver’s country of citizenship or residence. For example, for a foreign spouse to receive U.S. Social Security benefits:
Five-year resident requirement: If your foreign spouse is neither a citizen nor resident of the countries listed above, he or she may still may be able to collect ongoing spousal Social Security benefits if the two of you lived together in the U.S. for at least five years while married (not necessarily continuously).

Your foreign spouse must be of full retirement age and you, the retired U.S. worker, must be receiving Social Security benefits. (If your foreign spouse is at least 62, he or she may still be able to receive spousal benefits at a reduced rate.)
If I die, will my foreign spouse receive survivor benefits

Yes. Generally, your foreign widow or widower can receive Social Security survivor benefits if they meet the requirements for spousal benefits listed above and have not remarried. They may receive reduced benefits as early as age 60 (if not disabled) or full benefits at full retirement age or older. If they do not initially meet the five-year U.S. residency requirement, they can choose to relocate to the U.S. after being widowed to complete the residency requirement and then qualify for Social Security benefits.
http://www.crevelingandcreveling.com/bl ... l-security
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

Its going to depend on your health. Cheap apartments tend to be up horrible staircases. I have a nice studio with a lift for $290 a month in BKK2. If I only got out once a week II can get by on $800 a month, of which $90 is for cigarettes. At home I have high BP and diabetes, which are much improved by warm weather and better diet so I do not need meds here. If I did buy them thy cost less than a prescription in Uk (genuine French not shit indian). But you will not be chasing round the girly bars for that. and you have to remember your annual visa costs. Helps if you have a bit of a lump sum. rates have come down recently but you can still get 8.7% in AMK on 12 month bonds. Most of the rest are 7 to 7.75%. You can also get Euro and Sterling accounts if you want to play currencies
Pizzalover
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pizzalover »

Kuroneko wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:28 pm
Pizzalover wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:29 pm

Emergency services are crap in PP or non existent. For the check up, fine, but the higher risk remains and the combination of humidity and heat is a killer. Not too many expats 75 and up here.

Once you are in the hospital emergency services can be very good. I know that there are some places that are still sub standard, but to make a sweeping statement "Emergency services are crap in PP or non existent" is patently wrong. The problem at present is first response and getting the injured from a crash site to the centre of care. A&E at Central are very good, I have seen them operate and also been a recipient of care a number of times. I have run a hospital here and health services in Australia, I have also taught medics in the Army, so I know what a good level of care means.

I don't want to get into an argument healthcare in Phnom Penh, I have good service, and a number of people I know do also, I am passing on information that could be of benefit to someone on limited resources. The op is new here and needs accurate information on the level standard and cost of health care available. There are people who can ill afford the cost, flying home or to Thailand to access care that is available here, because they listen to this "poor heath care in Cambodia myth", grown from the prevalence of broad sweeping and inaccurate statements trashing the health service.

When I arrived here over twenty years ago the state of the health service was poor, but it has progressed greatly and procedures unthinkable twenty years ago are now commonplace. However the perception of that service by many expats has remained static.
apologies. I meant the ambulance services and emergency doctors on site not in the hospital, my bad.

I am aware of the new Bangkok Hospital Group place here in town. I know that group from Thailand and they are a total ripoff preying on tourists with travel insurance. I have had bad experiences with them in Thailand as to false diagnosis, unnecessary treatment, even proposing a totally unnecessary surgery, etc.

Since I m not leaving anytime very soon, what would be your advice for in town hospitals. I have read many bad remarks about Calmette but cannot claim that I am able to review these.
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

Pizzalover wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:11 am Since I m not leaving anytime very soon, what would be your advice for in town hospitals. I have read many bad remarks about Calmette but cannot claim that I am able to review these.
As I mentioned before I regard Central Hospital as providing the best care at a fair price. I note their web site is down at the moment, but a reasonable description below. If you do a search on this and TOF I have posted a number of times about this hospital.

Central Hospital boasts modern medical equipment, 80 rooms, two operating rooms, and eight nurses’ stations in total. Unlike other hospitals, Central Hospital provides a wide variety of services ranging from internal medicine and medical imagery to surgery, OBGYN and pediatrics. Different floors are separated by their specific functions.

Open: 24 hour
Tel: + 855 23 214 955
Email: [email protected]
Web: www.central-hospital.com
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Post by willyhilly »

Beer $10 a week? A serious drinker would spend five times that without going out. That is no life only spending $10 a week on beer.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic