$1096 a month

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Re: $1096 a month

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

South East Asia offers many places where you can live for $US500 a month. I know many say you can't live comfortably on that amount, but the truth of the matter is if you have a hobby other than wine and women $1100 will cut it easily. You won't be right in the heart of things where the action is, but, well, that gets old after a while any way. If as mentioned above your only motivation to go to Cambodia is to save some cash, and you haven't been there before, go for a few months and see if you can live under what your income is. Phnom Penh can get hot, and torturing yourself without AC at night because you just gotta save that $100 will be more painful than living in public housing in your home country, Trust me.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

on $1,100/month u can live just about anywhere in Cambodia.
I live easily on $1,200 and there's 2 of us in Phuket in a 2 bedroom house 200 meters from the sea ( rent is $360/month)
In Cambodia, even thou most things cost more, $1,100 will carry u month in /month out as LONG as u dont get a live in GF and dont have any medical problems
BUT if u have any health problems, be careful....until u hit 65 when u get ur US Medicaid card and then u need travel back to the states.

People often list the basics, but there another 10-15% /month just for extras

Keep a min of $10,000 ( and thats a low estimate) available at all times...
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

markus62 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:43 pm Hello I'm new here and have been looking to retire somewhere outside the USA because I just can't afford to live here except in public housing and I hate it, so my questions are I receive $1096 a month I'm 62 in April and concerned about health care (costs), from a (reliable source) and my second question is what would $ 350 a month in rent get me? And could I bank any of that $1100 a month after rent, food, health insurance, one or two beers a day, no drugs. Well maybe a bowl now and then😁 Any information greatly appreciated from people in the know

If you have a medical condition it will depend on what condition you have, and what treatment you need, if 1096 USD is enough. While common drugs like antibiotics are pretty cheap in Cambodia, specialized medicine can be the same price or even more than back home. I bought some methotrexate in Phnom Penh the other week and found out the price is just as high as in my country, the only money I saved was I did not have to pay the phamacy's fee and the prescription. Finding it, on the other hand, was quite a pain in the ass and for 100 pills they charged USD 49,50 (of course one blister in the box was missing, so the actual price was less - ALWAYS check the pills they give you).
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

you could get a part time job as well teaching English
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

Pizzalover wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:58 pm What are your health problems? If it is high BP, diabetes, anything with the heart - forget it.
Why do you say that? Twenty or so years ago that may have been true, but not now. There are a number of very good services in Phnom Penh. Central Hospital is the best vale for money and provides among other things cardio - vascular related care including surgery, (stenting) etc.

Monitoring and treatment of Diabetes and Hypertension are fairly straight forward. As I noted on TOF, relating to Central Hospital:
"You can go in and confirm prices with ms. Geli, the admin manager, but the following is what I would expect. Consultation $20, diagnostic cardiac ultrasound and ECG around $50. Blood tests cost mostly between $1 and $2 each. You can discuss which you really need,it will probably be around four or five. Results for all blood tests are usually available within an hour" If you want a fasting blood sugar (diabetes) test its best to arrive in the morning having not consumed anything for 8 hours or so.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

frank lee bent wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:39 pm you could get a part time job as well teaching English
He's 62 years old. He may be quite capable of working but having seen so may of my friends die much earlier than that even before they had a chance to travel and sit back , relax and watch the world go by. The very last thing I would suggest to him is get a job.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
prahocalypse now
Expatriate
India

Post by prahocalypse now »

Life expectancy for white men in Cambodia is 59. Anyone who moves here at age 62 is a dead man walking.
angkorjohn
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by angkorjohn »

Siem Reap or Kampot offer much cheaper accommodation and general prices than in Phnom Penh. Depends if you want the busy city life or something quieter.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

prahocalypse now wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:56 pm Life expectancy for white men in Cambodia is 59. Anyone who moves here at age 62 is a dead man walking.
As of yesterday I've been walking 12 years past your deadline. A new body would be nice, but I'll settle for a new pair of flip-flops.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

i have a 70 year old friend who has been teaching all his life- loves it and does not want to retire because he genuinely enjoys teaching.
he says it is very low stress.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic