UK Broadcast regulator guide to rude words

If you have something so weird, strange or off-topic to post and think it doesn't belong in any other forum; you're probably right. Please put all your gormless, half-baked, inane, glaikit ideas in here. This might also be a place where we throw threads that appear elsewhere that don't belong ANYWHERE end up, instead of having to flush them. FORUM RULES STILL APPLY.
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

UK Broadcast regulator guide to rude words

Post by cptrelentless »

Ofcom, the Office of Communications in the UK, guide to rude words in broadcasting.

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/assets/ ... RG-AOC.pdf
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Re: UK Broadcast regulator guide to rude words

Post by hanno »

Nig-nog? Man, I haven't heard that one in decades.
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

Love thy neighbor...Eddie
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

How can cocksucker be considered strong language when every single PM they've ever had was one?
simon43
Expatriate
Laos

Post by simon43 »

I perused the list of rude words, some examples:

Balls - Particularly vulgar or sexual use heightens the impact, especially for women. (I suppose something like 'suck my fcuking balls bitch'

Beaver - Strong language, generally unacceptable pre-watershed. Seen as vulgar and distasteful, especially by women. (So no exceptions for wildlife programmes?)

Clunge - Strong language, generally unacceptable pre-watershed. Seen as vulgar and distasteful, especially by women.Not always recognised. (Er right, wtf is 'clunge'?)

Flaps - Strong language, generally unacceptable pre-watershed. Seen as crude and often derogatory, particularly by women (So no exceptions for aviation programmes?)

Punani - Strong language, generally unacceptable pre-watershed. Seen as vulgar and distasteful by those familiar. Not always recognised (Wtf has happened to English? I thought punani was a type of spicy sausage...)

There are also Offensive Gestures, such as the 'Iberian Slap' (Jeez, I need to go back to school - wtf is that??)

Also, you can't be rude about old people. So no calling them 'FOPs' (fcuking old person) :)

Some religious words are taboo. 4 out of these words are only common in Northern Ireland, where the Fenians, Papists and Taigs are likely to be offended.

There are words that may offend gays, such as 'Batty boy', which apparently is very offensive to black gays (?), who are also mightily upset by 'chi-chi man' (no idea what that means)

According to this document, even the use of the term 'he-she' is considered strong language, because 'he-shes' consider it highly offensive, and they don't like being called 'chicks with dicks' either!

The term 'uphill gardener' is not listed and so this should be fine to address those like to play the pink oboe (a term which also is not listed!)

Finally, midgets prefer to be called dwarfs and 'mong' is totally unacceptable, even for Mong the Merciless (or was that Ming?)
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

Didn't read it, but most likely ' murikan"/is considered in good taste. Anyway, pardon me for flapping my lips.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Arget wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:58 pm Love thy neighbor...Eddie
That word was commonly used in Kenya way before Love thy neighbor.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

hanno wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:46 pm Nig-nog? Man, I haven't heard that one in decades.
its British English so still hear it in the UK
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

simon43 wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:26 pm I perused the list of rude words, some examples:

Beaver - Strong language, generally unacceptable pre-watershed. Seen as vulgar and distasteful, especially by women. (So no exceptions for wildlife programmes?)
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

It's hilarious, but in journalism/ broadcasting these sort of "style guides" are common. They are just spelling out the general policy, and you have to remember that almost all the words listed would have been completely taboo in those fields not so long ago. The network guides for cartoons were 300 pages thick in the late 80s, almost everything fun was banned.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic