Is it normal for electric shower heaters not to be grounded?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Is it normal for electric shower heaters not to be grounded?

Post by Cam Nivag »

My shower has one of those electric heater plastic boxes on the wall. Today I accidentally touched the metal coil that goes from the heater to the wall and got quite a shock. Is that normal? Should I insist that the owner fix it or is this just a matter of "Don't touch the metal coil you dummy"?

There's an electric tea kettle too with a metal ring around the top and I've shocked my self on that to when I touched the metal ring when it was plugged in.

I'm not an electrician. How would this be fixed anyway?
Last edited by Cam Nivag on Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Is it normal for electric shower heaters not to be grounded?

Post by timmydownawell »

They are supposed to be grounded but they almost never are. Like 99%.

No external metal part should be live though so maybe get someone to come and check that the wire hasn't come loose and shorted with something.

To earth/ground it you need a wire that connects to a metal stake driven into the ground.
Last edited by timmydownawell on Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Post by Cam Nivag »

timmydownawell wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:11 pm They are supposed to be grounded but they almost never are. Like 99%.
If I were to touch the metal shower coil while under a stream of water, would I die?

Shouldn't they just wrap some kind of insulation around that so no one touches the metal when showering?
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

edited above
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

It shouldn't be live and it's potentially deadly in a bathroom. I've never noticed much attention paid to grounding in older units here, recently built or larger commercial premises should have it.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

Haha, yes, it's "normal." It's fucking annoying. I've been zapped close to death by those things.

It's always been while I'm actually taking a shower, and haven't died yet, I don't think.

The worse was probably a decade ago in some shithole hovel on Kaoson Road in Bangkok. I was feeling that shit and shaking for a good 30 minutes afterwards.

I guess it's just not typically drying mmm strong enough to kill someone, otherwise they would kill more travelers than drugs in South East Asia.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Post by Cam Nivag »

John Bingham wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:18 pm It shouldn't be live and it's potentially deadly in a bathroom. I've never noticed much attention paid to grounding in older units here, recently built or larger commercial premises should have it.
OK, so if I complain about this I'm not being a pussy? I'm more concerned about embarrassing myself than about being electrocuted, obviously.
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Post by Cam Nivag »

Here's the deathtrap setup. The shocking coil is the one in the middle. Why would shower wires be wrapped in a metal coil that conducts electricity? All this time I've been overly worried about the slippery floor tiles.

violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

I worry about both
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
Borum-Ex frm TOForum
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Borum-Ex frm TOForum »

I touched my knob (of my water heater) and got a shock too, about 4 months ago, i replaced the piece of shit instantly! I have not that much ambitions in life, but to be found dead electrocuted in a PP bathroom by a water heater ain't one of them, it has to be more spectacular than that! If not i stay! :beer3:
I actually don't give a flying fuck, furthermore nice to meet you all here! :thumb:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic