In 2018, why (not) choose to expatriate in Cambodia?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
onico
Expatriate
Cambodia

In 2018, why (not) choose to expatriate in Cambodia?

Post by onico »

Hello everybody,

I have to confess you that I am currently a bit frustrated to see the way in which Cambodia is going.

Maybe you read already my "outburst" in the topic of the guy who was arrested for selling orange juice. But for me, it's was only the straw that broke the camel's back.

So...

Since it's start to be more difficult to get long term Visa here ;
since Chinese privatize the tourist places for them only ;
since the young Generation Z does not seem to want welcome foreigners as older people did before ;
since police arrest foreigners for anything : dancing, driving, smoking, wanting to f*ck a barfined KTV lady, selling juice or being black ;

If we compare with another neighbour country, Thailand is the easiest, It should be added to that :
the street food is more expensive here, less safe and tasty ;
even the cost of living is basically more expensive here for daily needs (imported products) ;
entertainment is not at the level here ;
if you are a man alone who need attention, it's more difficulte to meet women if you don't want marry she ;
rent or buy real estate property is more expensive here ;
everything is more developed elsewhere than here ;
and some kind of activities are still not safe here.

Why keeping to stay in Cambodia ? Even for someone who f***ing love this country.

I do not want to troll but really collect sweet opinions from you. And then, I hope to relativize a little.

Do we need to wait better times ?

Do I miss some points, qualities of Cambodia ?

Why you still stay here and why not you don't choose to cross to the Thailand every 6 months, since it's still possible to live there as a tourist if you are OK to go outside their country few months each years ?

Additional question : if you have to move somewhere, which country will you choose?

Thanks!
Last edited by onico on Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
It’s hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it’s damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person.
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Re: In 2018, why (not) choose to expatriate in Cambodia?

Post by that genius »

Nobody was arrested for being black.

Pathetic try, please repeat Troll KG1 until you pass
onico
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by onico »

that genius wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:18 pm Nobody was arrested for being black. Pathetic try, please repeat Troll KG1 until you pass
Because there is a link, everybody can make his own opinion... it's the magic of the Web.

P.S. : in 2 months, you was able to post 657 messages in this board. You have so much free time. Are you OK ? :please:
It’s hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it’s damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

onico wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:11 pm
since the young Generation Z does not seem to want welcome foreigners as older people did before - really? I have not experienced that unless you mean young girls are a bit fussier about taking old men home

since police arrest foreigners for anything : dancing, driving, smoking,
wanting to f*ck a barfined KTV lady, selling juice or being black ;

really? everyone of these foreigners was breaking the law. maybe where you come from that is tolerated?

If we compare with another neighbour country, Thailand is the easiest, It should be added to that -What? most arsey country in asia for visas

the street food is more expensive here, less safe and tasty only if you like spicey thai food. never had a problem with street food here. Really a matter of taste

even the cost of living is basically more expensive here for daily needs (imported products) - some things butcigarettes and alcohol are cheap here, so is medicine. In general foreign meals and eating out in Thailand is about the same as here or more expensive. Bangkok I pay 300 baht for a breakfast that costs me under $4 in PP

entertainment is not at the level here - what entertainment? The only thing they don't have here is gogo bars. Cinemas are fine, bowling alley, ice rink what more do you want

if you are a man alone who need attention, it's more difficult to meet women if you don't want marry she No idea where you go but that's not true. Younger guys under 40 have no problem at all. you should perhaps change your social circle

rent or buy real estate property is more expensive here very true in most places

everything is more developed elsewhere than here that's part of the attraction. Its not exactly stone age though unless you choose to live in the countryside

and some kind of activities are still not safe here please explain what activities. I cannot think of any activities I do that are more dangerouse here than say, Thaoiland or Vietnam

Now add the good bits
You can easily start a business - try that in Thailand
You can own a motorbike or car try that in Thailand
You can bring money in and take it out wihout any administrative headaches - try that in Thailand
You get near 9% interest on your savaing at AMK try that in Thailand
Many Khmer speak English, unlike Thailand
Khmer go to the same bars,clubs and pubs as barang. Thailand they try and avoid us unless they are on a scam

That's not to say there are not problems living in KOW, but I think you have had an unfortunate experience and are exaggerating somewhat. Either that or you think westerners should be able to treat Cambodia as a playground and whorehouse and break whatever laws and cultural mores they like and the Cambodians should be grateful.
What would the Thais do with a westerner caught smoking pot or performing lewd acts in public or seleling fruit in the street without a work permit - jail
what would a western government do do a Cambodian caught smoking pot or performing lewd acts in public or seleling fruit in the street without a work permit - jail
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

i agree with OP. we have hit a giant watershed and ppl are doing the ostrich movement.
it is not going to go away.
as of yesterday about half of the ppl i know are nonviable when their eos expires.
mine finishes in april.
i will go about mid march.
this is a tectonic shift, those who do not see it are blind or vested.
I don't give a fuck really, i can get a letter and have a long history of wp. easy to get another.
but why bother for the moment?
anyone notice the proposals for direct trade in yuan?
plus the erosion of purchasing power of western currencies?
but the main attraction of low doc formalities is gone now- with rising prices why the fuck would i stay here?
JM saw the writing on the wall.
Cruisemonkey
Expatriate
Vietnam

Post by Cruisemonkey »

I was looking for a place to retire (not Thailand... spent a lot of time there and now don't like it) and checked out Cambodia and Vietnam. Vietnam 'won' hands down.
You could be next.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

in my 10 year affair with Cambodia, the velocity of change and the optimism of the very young average population were two potent attractants for me along with the expanding economy. let's face it- those elements no longer apply. there is a labor shortage here, so the mask is off- it is all purely strategic real estating for territorial advantage. weltpolitik.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

by pczz » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:10 pm

If we compare with another neighbour country, Thailand is the easiest, It should be added to that -What? most arsey country in asia for visas
You can easily start a business - try that in Thailand
You can own a motorbike or car try that in Thailand
You can bring money in and take it out wihout any administrative headaches - try that in Thailand
Khmer go to the same bars,clubs and pubs as barang. Thailand they try and avoid us unless they are on a scam
what BS :please: This Thailand vs Cambodia has been done since 2000and its getting old as usual the comments are by people that dont really know the facts for both countries.

Thailand Visa laws for married, retired & working have remained the same since the late 1990.
1.easy to start a business, just takes a bit of paperwork, ( have had 3 of them) even an American can own 100% of his company ( something u cant do in Cambodia)
2. i own a car and bike in my name, anyone can....
3. $20,000 can bring in unreported,want bring in $10,000,000 Just declare it
4. yep, true, dont see many thais in go go bars (HMMM dont see khmers in hostess bars either) or on soi 6 in Pattatya
....PLUS if u have thai friends ( not tuk turk or moto drivers) u will find them in the same clubs/restaurants as Farangsin Bangkok.
5. Go to Nakorn Nowhere or Kampong nowhere, you wont find englsh spoken at all

You can keep ur cheap beers and smokes,dont partake of either..

Its where u want to be, some like Cambodia, (( i loved it there 2008-2009) Some like Thailand..
But please stop trying to compare the two..... :facepalm:
JM saw the writing on the wall.
also for his daughters education , as any normal expat parent would do if they want the best for their kids...and cant afford the $12,000++/year for an international school.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
(┛◉Д◉)┛
Expatriate
Barbados

Post by (┛◉Д◉)┛ »

primo uno number one reason is $300 for a ER from polite attractive pleasant agent, no documents no hassle no ongoing hassle through the year. thailand doesnt come anywhere near that, just faaar tooo much shit in that sphere in thailand
Last edited by (┛◉Д◉)┛ on Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

pczz wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:10 pm
the street food is more expensive here, less safe and tasty only if you like spicey thai food. never had a problem with street food here. Really a matter of taste

even the cost of living is basically more expensive here for daily needs (imported products) - some things butcigarettes and alcohol are cheap here, so is medicine. In general foreign meals and eating out in Thailand is about the same as here or more expensive. Bangkok I pay 300 baht for a breakfast that costs me under $4 in PP

entertainment is not at the level here - what entertainment? The only thing they don't have here is gogo bars. Cinemas are fine, bowling alley, ice rink what more do you want

Either that or you think westerners should be able to treat Cambodia as a playground and whorehouse and break whatever laws

tbh i dont think anyone can deny Thailand is far superior when it comes to streetfood

if you use Bangkok as a representative of the cost of Thailand it will always lose, Bangkok is very different to the rest of the country,
i used to agree that Thailand was more expensive to drink but in Pattaya and even Hua Hin you can drink bottles of San Miguel for $1.60, even Vodka n oranges are $3-4 the same as KH, drink Tiger/Asahi draft beers for $1.30 or in Agogo clubs for $2, and i noticed on my recent trip to Pattaya that western food is not much difference to KH $3-6 for most western meals (KH has better quality western grub though), street foods cheaper and better plus 7/11 + Familymarts are far cheaper/better stocked than Kiwimarts and the likes

entertainment wise in Cambodia i think is the lack of decent daytime drinking venues bugs me sometimes when i fancy some afternoon beers in the sun or something, sure theres places you can get a beer but nothing compared to Thai bars, PP has a couple of bars open down 136 (ones i wouldnt even frequent in the night time let alone daytime) Corner bar isnt too bad, the beach in SHV has now been bulldozed but even before it wasnt the most entertaining in the daytime tbh

in general ive always found far more thais speak english than Khmer, Khmers do speak the better English though (thainglish is horrible)

"treat Cambodia as a playground and whorehouse and break whatever laws" :plus1: ;-) :twisted:

ill add my own that boxing/kickboxing facilities are far far superior in Thailand

Everytime i go to Thailand (twice a year) i always think, fuck i want to move back here, but whenever im back in Cambodia, while frustrating at times, i like the rawness and people, i feel far more at settled in and laid back, i think being able to speak Khmer does help that,
i do really want to do some exploring of Isaan though, if i was to start living anywhere else than cambodia it would probably be somewhere in Isaan, Burriram or Surin or something

the way Cambodia has been changing has made me question my loyalties a number of times over the past year, but Cambodia is still where my heart lies
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic