In 2018, why (not) choose to expatriate in Cambodia?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Re: In 2018, why (not) choose to expatriate in Cambodia?

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

John Bingham wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:44 am
phuketrichard wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:58 am
Even Pattaya ( as Jamie will attest to, is far better, cheaper, easier to live on less, than anywhere in Cambodia..
Pattaya is far better than anywhere in Cambodia? Many would beg to differ. :?
all depends on the person tbh, being a young(ish) single male boxer who likes to go out, Pattaya offers so much more for me at a lot better value than Cambodia, anyone who is a bit older and off the market/settled would obviously have a completely different view, but im not sure id want to live there 100%, i do love my culture rich Cambodia for that, what it lacks in some areas it makes up for in others
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
(┛◉Д◉)┛
Expatriate
Barbados

Post by (┛◉Д◉)┛ »

so murrays place is $150/month with gas stove, fridge, lift, double bed, en suite, kitchen sink, wifi, tv, and aircon near sovannna shopping mall in pp,
perhaps you can point us to similar in pattaya
Last edited by (┛◉Д◉)┛ on Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

willyhilly wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:18 am I did a trip around the north east including Buriram and Surin. Nice countryside and cheap with good food but boring as fuck. Having said that I would like to see the motor racing at the track in Buriram, it’s a GP circuit that will probably never see a GP. The football ground is fantastic too but we hate that fucking round ball game.
LOL: :beer1: they are up their practicing this weekend , couple of friends rode up to watch
https://motomatters.com/press_release/2 ... press.html

Surin is NOT exactly north east North east would be Nong Khai
The whole west along the Burmese border is amazing as is the area along the mekong with Laos on the other side.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

(┛◉Д◉)┛ wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:15 pm so murrays place is $150/month with gas stove, fridge, lift, double bed, en suite, kitchen sink, wifi, and aircon near sovannna shopping mall in pp,
If youvwant to be as far from the action in pattaya or bkk as Murrays place is in pp then there are options at that price. In Pattaya up soi sipjet and darkside. Closer in is nearer $200 - $250 in the older condos. But for longstay
Its safe to buy in Thailand unlike here and a decent place far cheaper than here. I still wouldn't go though.
http://www.gecko-properties.com/en-gb/condo-for-sale
(┛◉Д◉)┛
Expatriate
Barbados

Post by (┛◉Д◉)┛ »

pczz wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:49 pm
(┛◉Д◉)┛ wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:15 pm so murrays place is $150/month with gas stove, fridge, lift, double bed, en suite, kitchen sink, wifi, and aircon near sovannna shopping mall in pp,
If youvwant to be as far from the action in pattaya or bkk as Murrays place is in pp then there are options at that price. In Pattaya up soi sipjet and darkside. Closer in is nearer $200 - $250 in the older condos. But for longstay
Its safe to buy in Thailand unlike here and a decent place far cheaper than here. I still wouldn't go though.
yes i dont need to bang a different bargirl 5 nights a week these days
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

(┛◉Д◉)┛ wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:19 pm
Go for the darkside then. Some good cheap restaurants run by germans. Quite liked it when i was there. Different atmosphere to pattaya proper
(┛◉Д◉)┛
Expatriate
Barbados

Post by (┛◉Д◉)┛ »

actually i have a ground floor 27sqm guesthouse room with all of murrays stuff except fridge and stove, where i have stayed long term on a number of occasion for 3500 baht plus 500 for electricity and water a month, 100 meters from market and a little further to 7-11, but it aint near pattaya or any other mentioned place. main, one and only reason i am not there now is the bad news thai immigration department. that aint going to change in pattaya and neither is the junta
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

pczz wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:23 pm
(┛◉Д◉)┛ wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:19 pm
Go for the darkside then. Some good cheap restaurants run by germans. Quite liked it when i was there. Different atmosphere to pattaya proper
i love the darks side, some fun bars there too :beer3:
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
onico
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by onico »

superferret wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:13 pm
You think Thailand is better, it means you probably don't know it well enough.
Thailand sucks in so many ways, it's hard to count.
As the OP, I took the example of Thailand to compare with Cambodia, it was easier, to illustrate my concern... but, in fact, I lived 3 years in the land of smile between Jomtien and BKK and I leave from there after realized Thai people are f—king racist. Then, come to Cambodia.

I think we all here love Cambodia and its people.
The main part of us agree with the fact they need the currencies from western (less dirty than the Chinese one).
And some of us are scared to see the random crack down over the country.

After reading all of you, I think we just have to say : wait & see

And if we have to look around there is obviously some other spots.
some mentioned : Philippines, South America, maybe also Cuba ? Some minority island ? Madagascar, Mayotte, maybe some African countries ?
Myanmar, Laos, Indonesia ?
The world is still large :-)
It’s hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it’s damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person.
Popeye
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Popeye »

Don't forget that here in Cambodia you get a lung full of dust every day for free. Must be the biggest dust bowl in the whole of SEA.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic