In 2018, why (not) choose to expatriate in Cambodia?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: In 2018, why (not) choose to expatriate in Cambodia?

Post by phuketrichard »

You think Thailand is better, it means you probably don't know it well enough.
:please: expect for a year in Cambodia and 14 months back in the states, been here since 1984, i think i know the good and the bad :beer3:
.....but for expats on a tight budget Thailand is far worse.
obviously u dont know Thailand, can live far better in northern or eastern Thailand with less money than in Cambodia an have far more options available to you.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

phuketrichard wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:18 pm
:please: expect for a year in Cambodia and 14 months back in the states, been here since 1984, i think i know the good and the bad :beer3:
obviously u dont know Thailand, can live far better in northern or eastern Thailand with less money than in Cambodia an have far more options available to you.
i have to agree, unless youre scrapping the barrel with food/drink/accom in cambodia theres not much price difference between both countries anymore tbh (not including Bangkok lol)
things like tailors n stuff i think are cheaper in KH though lol
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

phuketrichard wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:38 am
pczz wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:15 am In truth the biggest reason to move to Cambodia is that there are no MacDonalds. When they arrive the whole country will go downhill
?? :please:
there are none in Myanmar or Laos either...
The biggest reason ( pre visa crack down) to move to Cambodia was cause it was easy to stay...PLUS easy to get a job teaching english...
Now?? not so sure
Oh dear. Look slike I am out of synch again. As retired old git Its as easy for me to stay in either, and I don't work. I came to Cambodia because I didn't like the Thais attitude, lack of English and spicy food. it was also getting too crowded. Final straw was when they put up the price of cigarettes and started charging you for littering. I find Cambodians a lot more friendly.
superferret
Expatriate
Albania

Post by superferret »

Cruisemonkey wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:49 pm
superferret wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:13 pm Vietnam is much friendlier than Thailand but it's not as open as Cambodia or Thailand.
What do you mean by "open"?
What I mean is that I never felt like I could fit into Vietnamese culture even if I spent my life trying. I would always just be an exotic weirdo there. The same with China. In contrast I feel like I could live in Cambodia and Thailand and learn the language and fit in somehow. Of course I'll never be Khmer or Thai but I could imagine integrating here, but not in Vietnam. The huge difference is their language. Thai and Khmer are very difficult, but they are not inaccessible to me, whereas I feel Vietnamese or Chinese are something I could never learn due to the numerous tones and short syllables. The language is key to integrating in a society. The other thing is that Vietnam has a huge problem with traffic -as someone else mentioned- and food safety. I literally do not feel safe in Vietnam since whenever I'm there someone almost hits me every single day. It's just a question of time before some accident happens. This also makes the country inaccessible to me as a place to live. Both Cambodia and Thailand have numerous foreigners that have integrated so they're used to it and being a foreigner is not extraordinary. In contrast in Vietnam I felt like being a foreigner is just being a walking ATM and the cities are just too unpleasant and unbearable for me to live there.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

superferret wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:57 am
Cruisemonkey wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:49 pm
superferret wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:13 pm Vietnam is much friendlier than Thailand but it's not as open as Cambodia or Thailand.
What do you mean by "open"?
What I mean is that I never felt like I could fit into Vietnamese culture even if I spent my life trying. I would always just be an exotic weirdo there. The same with China. In contrast I feel like I could live in Cambodia and Thailand and learn the language and fit in somehow. Of course I'll never be Khmer or Thai but I could imagine integrating here, but not in Vietnam. The huge difference is their language. Thai and Khmer are very difficult, but they are not inaccessible to me, whereas I feel Vietnamese or Chinese are something I could never learn due to the numerous tones and short syllables. The language is key to integrating in a society. The other thing is that Vietnam has a huge problem with traffic -as someone else mentioned- and food safety. I literally do not feel safe in Vietnam since whenever I'm there someone almost hits me every single day. It's just a question of time before some accident happens. This also makes the country inaccessible to me as a place to live. Both Cambodia and Thailand have numerous foreigners that have integrated so they're used to it and being a foreigner is not extraordinary. In contrast in Vietnam I felt like being a foreigner is just being a walking ATM and the cities are just too unpleasant and unbearable for me to live there.
If your worried about Vietnamese food you really really done't wanna know what goes in thai And Khmer food. Petsicides banned in the rest of the world, food coloring preservatives etc etc. The shop near me that sells the food doctoring stuff has it all in plain unmarked bottles and bags
superferret
Expatriate
Albania

Post by superferret »

phuketrichard wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:18 pm
Fair point except the "far more options". What would I do in North and East Thailand? I live in Phnom Penh which is an exciting city that changes all the time, there's a large expat community of all types of expats and you never get bored. I've been to North and East Thailand and the only serious city there is Chiang Mai. That was way too touristy and light for me. My most vivid memory of Chiang Mai is how I purchased a fried chicken from a really cute girl. I was smiling and friendly with her and she treated me like dirt. I remember how delicious the chicken was and also how incredibly rude this girl was, I guess I must have been tourist number 133 who tried to be nice to her that day. I've been to Khon Kaen, Udon Thani, Trat, Chantaburi to mention some of the smaller cities. What they all had in common was that I could not imagine staying there for even a week. If I had a Thai wife and could join the old expats who also have Thai wives there sure, but otherwise I would be bored out of my mind.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

What wold u do in Northern Thailand??? fuck, get a motorcycle an explore the thousands of great roads aorund the area, its amazing up there, great people, great food, cheap... I'd move up there in a heart beat if i wasn't addicted to the Andaman sea... :beer3: :beer3:

Even Pattaya ( as Jamie will attest to, is far better, cheaper, easier to live on less, than anywhere in Cambodia..
although wouldn't be caught dead in Patttaya waters,Jomtien is not bad for a swim or a quick trip out to the island.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Post by willyhilly »

I did a trip around the north east including Buriram and Surin. Nice countryside and cheap with good food but boring as fuck. Having said that I would like to see the motor racing at the track in Buriram, it’s a GP circuit that will probably never see a GP. The football ground is fantastic too but we hate that fucking round ball game.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

phuketrichard wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:58 am
Even Pattaya ( as Jamie will attest to, is far better, cheaper, easier to live on less, than anywhere in Cambodia..
Pattaya is far better than anywhere in Cambodia? Many would beg to differ. :?
Silence, exile, and cunning.
(┛◉Д◉)┛
Expatriate
Barbados

Post by (┛◉Д◉)┛ »

superferret wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:19 am
Fair point except the "far more options". What would I do in North and East Thailand? I live in Phnom Penh which is an exciting city that changes all the time, there's a large expat community of all types of expats and you never get bored. I've been to North and East Thailand and the only serious city there is Chiang Mai. That was way too touristy and light for me. My most vivid memory of Chiang Mai is how I purchased a fried chicken from a really cute girl. I was smiling and friendly with her and she treated me like dirt. I remember how delicious the chicken was and also how incredibly rude this girl was, I guess I must have been tourist number 133 who tried to be nice to her that day. I've been to Khon Kaen, Udon Thani, Trat, Chantaburi to mention some of the smaller cities. What they all had in common was that I could not imagine staying there for even a week. If I had a Thai wife and could join the old expats who also have Thai wives there sure, but otherwise I would be bored out of my mind.
can we recommend alcoholics anonymous
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic