Drivers License

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Luigi
Expatriate

Drivers License

Post by Luigi »

What are this weeks rules for obtaining Dl if you currently hold a valid Cambodian License?
Is there an upper age limit? An eye test? Any tests?
Where do you have to go now? :beer3:
Kayve
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Drivers License

Post by Kayve »

Foreigners -> Go to the ministry of transportation somewhere far away after the japanese bridge
Khmer -> Go to AEON ezpz

When I did it, there was an eye sight test, they just look if you're blind or not, kinda. Don't remember how much I paid, maybe 40 000 riels, no coffee money.
Don't forget the water buffalo
Luigi
Expatriate

Post by Luigi »

Thanks Kayve.
Do you know if there is an upper age limit.
My friend is 76 & is would like to know before making the effort of travel, lodging, etc.
Luigi
Expatriate

Post by Luigi »

Sorry, one other question.
Were you able to accomplish in 1 visit?
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

you do notice the common trajectory of these new policies right?
Luigi
Expatriate

Post by Luigi »

As in ''get the fuk outta here direction?
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

if you go early about 8.30 you should be able to get it done in a day. I arrived at 8 and left about 3. For Khmer there is an age limit I think its around 67. after that age they have to go get a checkup and a license every year. I have no idea what country your friend is from but he needs a valid license from his country. if it is not in English they may ask for a translation. they asked a Czech when I was there, but his Khmer girlfriend talked them into doing it anyway. If you don't already have a Khmer license they may ask for a lease stamped by the police to prove your address. I think germans are not allowed to drive after 70 so they do not have a vakid german license and are screwed, although they may be allowd to take Khmer test, not sure
Luigi
Expatriate

Post by Luigi »

FWIW
He already has a Cambodian license valid till April ? 2018.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

Luigi wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:42 pm FWIW
He already has a Cambodian license valid till April ? 2018.
Then as long as his native country license is still valid at 76 he should be ok. The eyesight test is no hard. just walk to the desk by paiiing the board and memorise the rows. if you get it wrong he asks you again until you get it right, which was hilarious because I said the same thing 3 time and he said no, no yes. I was bloody right the first time, he needed glasses!
They will take your weight and height from your passport. Take 6 photos, they seem to be asking for a random number between 4 and 6 at the moment.you will need passport, current visa valid for 3 months or 6 months depending on who checks your papers so get new visa first if you close to expiry. You may be asked for a lease stampoed by the police, but when I went they were only asking new people, not rebewals. if you got one take it, if not get something from your hotel. take small bills. I think the total was about $8 with the medical, they go no change and its all riel :-)
jump up and down in the queues, they give barang queue jumping priveliges. No coffee money required. free photocopy in an office sort of behind the medical room. good luck.
Luigi
Expatriate

Post by Luigi »

Thank you. Most helpful.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic