Eye Glasses in Phnom Penh?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Re: Eye Glasses in PP

Post by StroppyChops »

that genius wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:55 pm
StroppyChops wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:46 pm
stevenjb wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:53 am
Heng Heng Heng wrote:I was prescribed multifocals at a place on the corner of 360 and Monivong Blvd. $200 ouch. They got them made in Japan. Weird to wear at the start. I kept seeing movement of small things out of the corner of my eyes.
Side issues - could be the size of the frames and you are seeing the edge of the frames. As to use, just adjust the frames on your face and move your eyes up and down to see the focal distances.

The side areas on Progressive lenses are not focally adjusted. It is just the central vertical areas of the lenses.
Yep, and if you've got a boof head like me and need wider frames, the distortion on the sides is quite dramatic.
Better than using a pedal, yes?
Took me a while, but I got there.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Heng Heng Heng
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by Heng Heng Heng »

I'm quite used to it now. I saw a fairly large jingjok in the house the other day. No problem, just my mosquito contol service doing the rounds. Later, I thought I saw it climb up to the shelf under the TV out of the corner of my eye. I had to look and nothing was there. LOL. Either the glasses or I'm hallucinating. Amusing either way.
This is the voice of the Mysterons. We know that you can hear us Earthmen.
AdvisorExpertTravel
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by AdvisorExpertTravel »

chkwoot wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 6:54 am On the north side of 154, between 63 and 67, directly behind Sorya Shopping Mall (not GSM), there's a small shop that used to be called King Optics (they still have 1"King Optics" sign that sticks out), but now has a different name which I forget. Test+basic (not non-glare) lenses+cheap frames=$15. I've been using them for 13 years. I just got 2 new pairs last week.

I will check them, thanks.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

My mother broke the frame of her glasses and so I am resurrecting this thread in case anyone has a more recent recommendation than Eye Care on the corner of 130 & Norodom.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Sorry Ira, but i do know a good urology clinic called We Care
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

Eye Care on 130/Norodom are $400 for varifocals that react to light.
Oh, and 3 weeks wait to have them ordered in. So we are looking for recommendations for another place so we can get another quote.

As a temporary fix it was suggested by the guy at Eye Care we simply find a new frame if the same dimensions and re-fit the lenses in the new frame.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

Detailing our experience for future searches

We went to a couple of places after Eye Care looking for a frame to fit the old lenses in but to no avail. Then we arrived at Mondial Optic on 274. They are on the right between Independence Monument and NagaWorld, on a corner just below Wat Botum Park.
Anyway, walked in showed them the broken glasses and the lense and asked if they could do anything with them. 10 minutes later a guy walks out and they're fixed. No price had been agreed and he just said "give me what ever you like"
So given our predicament and the cost quoted for new lenses and the 3 week waiting time (yeah.. maybe we might have found a place where there is no waiting time...) we gave him $10.
When we asked if $10 was ok the lady laughed and said "too much" but we assured her we were very happy and grateful he had fixed them so $10 was good.
If the repair last a year it was still worth it... hell if it lasts until she goes back to England it was still worth it.
Sheepdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Sheepdog »

Hey all, just wondering if you know any opticians that can order in high strength lenses. I’m short sighted with the added bonus of astigmatisms. Tried a few places a few years ago and my prescription was too high. Usually I would just get them ordered in Specasavers when I’m back in the UK for the Summer, but I didn’t get back this year. Any up to date info would be excellent. Cheers!
whatwat
Expatriate
Hong Kong

Post by whatwat »

Give Owndays a try. I think they’re at Aeon but they’ve got a few branches. Singaporean company.
Don’t listen to Chinese whispers.
Sheepdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Sheepdog »

I tried them a few years ago, had no luck there. Maybe they can do now and are worth another shot. Cheers
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic