Is THis Really What We Would Expect From A Human Rights NGO?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
takeoman
Expatriate
Ireland

Is THis Really What We Would Expect From A Human Rights NGO?

Post by takeoman »

"As an NGO we want the border police to take serious action to check and examine the Vietnamese". Sam Rainsy, Kem Sokha? No Chlay Thy Ratanakkiri provincial coordinator for Adhoc calling for more deportations. :hattip:
The most boring man in the World. Ever!
Francis
Expatriate
Vietnam

Re: Is THis Really What We Would Expect From A Human Rights

Post by Francis »

takeoman wrote: No Chlay Thy Ratanakkiri provincial coordinator for Adhoc calling for more deportations. :hattip:
Nah, that won't work. The head of the anti trafficking police would be against it.
US Department of State - 2013 Trafficking in Persons Report wrote:Cambodia is a source, transit, and destination country for men, women, and children subjected to forced labor and sex trafficking. Cambodian men, women, and children migrate to countries within the region—primarily Thailand and Malaysia, but also Singapore, Vietnam, and South Korea—for work in factories, restaurants, or other industries, but many are subsequently subjected to sex trafficking, domestic servitude, debt bondage, or forced labor within the fishing, construction, food processing, and agricultural industries. Vietnamese women and children, many of whom are victims of debt bondage, are transported to Cambodia and forced into commercial sex. Corrupt officials in Cambodia and Thailand facilitate the transport of victims across the border.
Full report here:
http://www.state.gov/j/tip/rls/tiprpt/c ... 215415.htm
Und der Haifisch der hat Tränen
Und die laufen vom Gesicht
Doch der Haifisch lebt im Wasser
So die Tränen sieht man nicht

In der Tiefe ist es einsam
Und so manche Träne fliesst
Und so kommt es dass das Wasser
In den Meeren salzig ist
LTO
Expatriate

Post by LTO »

Francis wrote:
US Department of State - 2013 Trafficking in Persons Report wrote:Cambodia is a source, transit, and destination country for men, women, and children subjected to forced labor and sex trafficking. Cambodian men, women, and children migrate to countries within the region—primarily Thailand and Malaysia, but also Singapore, Vietnam, and South Korea—for work in factories, restaurants, or other industries, but many are subsequently subjected to sex trafficking, domestic servitude, debt bondage, or forced labor within the fishing, construction, food processing, and agricultural industries. Vietnamese women and children, many of whom are victims of debt bondage, are transported to Cambodia and forced into commercial sex. Corrupt officials in Cambodia and Thailand facilitate the transport of victims across the border.
Full report here:
That doesn't seem to be his concern:
But Chhay Thy, Ratanakkiri provincial coordinator for rights group Adhoc, called for more deportations, saying that last week’s number fell far short of addressing illegal immigration in the northeastern province.

“We rarely see the authorities arrest and deport Vietnamese people like this,” he said. “We want to see the authorities keep taking these measures in the future, not just do it now and stop. This is not acceptable.

“As an NGO, we want the border police to take serious action to check and examine the Vietnamese, not just let them cross the border [illegally],” he said. “In fact, hundreds of Vietnamese people cross the border by bus to work for [Cambodian] companies by using a tourist visa,” he said.
LTO Cambodia Blog

"Kafka is 'outdone' in our country, the new fatherland of Angkor" - Norodom Sihanouk
michael.stewart1
Expatriate
Russia

Post by michael.stewart1 »

LTO wrote: Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:15 pm
Francis wrote:
Full report here:
That doesn't seem to be his concern:
But Chhay Thy, Ratanakkiri provincial coordinator for rights group Adhoc, called for more deportations, saying that last week’s number fell far short of addressing illegal immigration in the northeastern province.

“We rarely see the authorities arrest and deport Vietnamese people like this,” he said. “We want to see the authorities keep taking these measures in the future, not just do it now and stop. This is not acceptable.

“As an NGO, we want the border police to take serious action to check and examine the Vietnamese, not just let them cross the border [illegally],” he said. “In fact, hundreds of Vietnamese people cross the border by bus to work for [Cambodian] companies by using a tourist visa,” he said.
I dont understand why Vietnamese would come to Cambodia to work, I would they would get paid better wages in Viet Nam. I know if I want to teach English I would get paid better in Viet Nam than I would in Cambodia plus I speak more Vietnamese than I do Khmer. I also really never see Vietnamese anywhere. I would really like to practice Vietnamese. When I was in the USA that is why I would go to Nail Salons . Nothing like having a cute Vietnamese girl teach you how to speak Vietnamese while she is massaging your legs and clipping your nails.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic